Doth thou even Raid?

Bush kiting, urban style!

It makes me depressed when zeds get into a shelf-filled store and smash everything in the direct path between you and them, they have some serious problems… unless it’s a jabberwock, he prefer smashing through walls instead.

1. Build sling
  2. smash rocks together until the amount of pebbles in the game causes an overflow error
  3. sling pebbles
  4. repeat 3. until town is clear, drowned in pebbles and throwing skill as high as pebbles thrown.

I remember this one time, I found a Military base/nuclear storage compound.
Inside it, I found a large APC that was nicely armored. I remember how amazingly lucky I felt when I found it. That is of course, until I explored the rest of the compound without getting the vehicle out of the garage first.

I accidentally triggered the self destruct while hacking (damn you C4!) and five grand explosions rippled through the compound. I immediately though “SHIT! THE VEHICLE!” and ran back towards the garage. I had to go down a 2 wide corridor (which had containment suits and shit, so I guess an airlock of some kind) and one of the C4 had blasted a hole in the inner wall and fully blasted through the outside wall as well! The whole area had spotty fires starting to rage.

I managed to get past the door and saw that a C4 charge had detonated about 12 blocks from my new vehicle. There was fire EVERYWHERE, and I had to run through some to get to the passenger side of the vehicle, as the right hand side had FLAMES LICKING AT THE TIRES AND DOORS. I got in there, and just fully reversed the beast as fast as I could. It ended up bursting through the garage door like it was made of Papier-mâché. Unfortunately, the area behind it (kind of like a yard that led to a final roller door) was already on fire from the airlock room breach, and I had to yank hard to the left and smash through the concrete wall to get out. I made it out, and I was lucky I did it fast, because the background radiation for that place was through the roof!

So yeah, that was my best raid! :smiley:

My greatest raid wasn’t technically a raid i suppose. When i play i like to grab a vehicle go exploring and avoid towns where possible.

So i was driving my solar powered semi truck down the road and saw a town ahead on the map. My immediate thought was “I’ll just go around like always”. But i started getting forced into town by a forest and anthill, eventually i ended up driving down the road in the middle of town, zombies and ants all around.

I naturally end up crashing into cars because I’m a terrible driver before stopping just short of a house. I thought that this was the end at this point so i got my katana ready and stepped outside to die by the horde that was chasing me. I believe my exact outfit (not counting backpacks and things which i didn’t drop) was: Fuzzy cat ears, Furry Cat tail, Army Jacket, Army pants, Army Helmet, and Helmet Liner (worn outside the helmet of course). No zombie or ant escaped my wrath, even the larvae was obliterated.

I against all odds in my mind, managed to kill all of my enemies and then replace the solar panels on my truck before escaping the town to fight another day. This was something for me because that marked the turning point in my character survival, none of my characters have ever survived something like that. Sally Samurai V continues to explore New England, with katana and M14.

I found the wolverine claws 2 tiles up the road from a fema camp, installed it on a very low chance. Story after that pretty much tells itself.

I have a nasty habit of setting every useless thing on fire.
So, all my raids are ending up in the raging inferno with me laughing maniacally.

Pain resistant + deft + quick + fast hit melee weapon + bush/window
That is my basic set up for melee chars, once my melee level is 4 i can kill almost anything.
If i get hit the pain resistant will prevent the stats reductions.

Gunmagic, Sally Samurai V?

Funny, i’ve been playing the Charlie Crossbow line for a while :stuck_out_tongue:

I like to play with static 50.0 spawn rate, so there’s like, a million billion zombies per map square.

Raiding… is pretty much impossible! There’s no way I’d be able to fight that many zombies on my own. I just go in at night and carefully sneak between them, occasionally whacking one and backing off if it gets too close. Light Step is pretty nice…

I just finished my first real raid, and got my first artifact. I slew the foul Thing with my mighty broadsword and claimed The Staff of the Frigid Abyss, currently I know it allows me to see through walls, weakens my stats while it’s in my inventory, and has made me paranoid that it will end up killing me.

I once managed to clear out an entire town. It was not that big and I used a car to kill most of the beasts but it is very cool to have a town all for you alone without any zombies anymore. It was back in the days where cars were rare. Today, car-clearing a city is probably slightly more difficult.

I managed to SLAUGHTER an ant family with almost no received damage I had a very high melee, bash and dodge skill and a quarterstaff. God, I love the quarterstaff! :slight_smile:

My most awesome raid was me setting a bunch of turrets around a fungal bloom and let the slaughter begin. :smiley: The turrest see also the fungal wall as enemy and do a great job in killing it off. I used grenade launchers and heavy guns to destroy survivors. At the end, I set the entire thing on fire and hunted the remaining fungal creatures down. This was really awesome.

I constantly attempt to clear out science labs as soon as I find one. Only rarely I make it to the grand prize. Science labs also have lots of cool items in general. But I often fail at the Secubots. Damn, I should bring EMP grenades next time.

[quote=“dwarfkoala, post:29, topic:3993”]Gunmagic, Sally Samurai V?

Funny, i’ve been playing the Charlie Crossbow line for a while :P[/quote]
Technically she’s probably closer to 8 or 9 but i didn’t track the first few. Poor Sally has had terrible luck up to this point.

You guys all have epic raids, my most ‘awesome’ raid was against a mansion full of zombies through use of guns and set everything on fire.
I also raided a lab, but I believe I just scratched the surface before retreat back due to the extreme cold further down.

Very true. Legacy characters don’t tend to last very long for me either. This is Charlie’s 7th reincarnation. He’s had terrible luck.

By luck I mean ZOMBEARS.

Heh, the first time I found a mansion I had just found out how effective kiting zombies into fires was, unfortunately I hadn’t yet grasped that fire can spread. I set a fire in front of a door and baited an otherwise impossibly large swarm of zombies into the raging hell fires. After I finished them off I continued through the mansion getting some food and wondering why I was hearing crashing sounds when I knew there were no more zombies. Then a wall collapsed in the same room as me and I realized the place was on fire. I got out in an Indiana Jones fashion only to find more zombies outside waiting for me.
Still having not learned the lesson that fire is not safe I immediately lit up the nearest bush to kite them all into. The turn after I had slain the last one the bush exploded and killed me.
It was that day I learned that zombies can carry bottles of gasoline on them, and since I have never fought humanoids with fire.
Anyway, your mention of using fire in a mansion reminded me of this humorous tale, I figured I share it.

XD Actually your story was kinda like mine. The first time I try setting the mansion on fire I was already aware that it can spread, but I overestimated it and soon found myself trapped in a room with raging inferno, collapsing wall and thick smoke everywhere, had to break the window and jumped out with a severe torso burn.

Gasoline, ammunition, and sometimes grenades and dynamite.