Doggies

So, why is it that dogs prioritize your head? It seems out of 10 attacks, only 1-2 are made to my arms/legs/torso.

Since I always play a fragile (sometimes glass jaw on top of that) character, dogs just one-two shot me, because they always go for the head.

I’m starting to assume I am playing a midget (no offense to small people), because don’t dogs usually go for the arms/legs?

I’m just curious, because I know that for a fact sewer rats go for the legs when attacking.

I’m pretty sure the official reason is that the dog is jumping. Maybe it could be made alittle more obvious, but yeah the rats definitely only hit the legs, until your legs are crippled. Then you’re assumed to be crawling, so the rats can hit other parts of you.

Well, I do assume they are jumping, but taking real life into account, don’t dogs go for the/arms legs first?

I assume if a dog latched on to you and you fell down, he could start biting your head, but I personally haven’t seen a dog go straight for the head.

You’re making a lot of sense. Even without training that seems like the obvious route. I think I’m using the word obvious too much, but its a powerful word. I agree with your idea and would
+1
the suggestion to make dogs go after arms and legs first.

Also, I’m willing to hear more discussion on this.

Well, its sort of related, but every medium/large dog ive ever seen go at a kangaroo goes for the throat, no training involved.

Le sigh. I suppose it is hard to find but every ceatures melee skill is super unbalanced right now due to a change in the combat system. Dog functionally have a 14 melee skill and other dog types have slightly less. That is why they consistently attack the eyes.

I thought that had been fixed in the last few experimentals, but I must admit I haven’t played them lately, just been reading the forums.

This was because a combinations of bugs that all happened to hit at the same time. (Basically the targeting was reworked but not properly balanced, and monster skills were rescaled to have 10 as the “maximum” instead of 20, but nobody bothered to actually redo all of the monster jsons). It should be fixed int he experimental now IIRC, or if it isn’t it will be soon.

Would the targeting bug have anything to do with pistols getting super critical headshots ridiculously frequently?

Does anyone else find it odd that a thread named “doggies” was started by a player named Squirel?

Says Fish.

) fair 'nuff

The fact that they are 1-2 shotting you just proves their attack strategy works

[quote=“Squirrel, post:3, topic:4731”]Well, I do assume they are jumping, but taking real life into account, don’t dogs go for the/arms legs first?

I assume if a dog latched on to you and you fell down, he could start biting your head, but I personally haven’t seen a dog go straight for the head.[/quote]

You ever seen a German shepherd attack someone?
They really do jump up and I wouldn’t be surprised if they could reach and tear out your throat in a moment unless you’re some six-foot plus basketball player.
If you let basic instinct rule to defend yourself, you’d probably move your hands and arms infront of your face and try to push the dog away.
That means the closest target to the dog is now your juicy forearms.

Most people see things like police dog training videos of dog trainers wearing lots of padding on the arms-- because by baiting the dogs to bite the arms, they’re training them to not go for the neck or face. Be a bit useless if someone caught resisting arrest was brought in via bodybag.
Of course, some smaller breeds are gonna attack the legs simply because they can’t reach the neck or face.

Anyway, can’t recommend German shepherds enough as a breed.
Very, very loyal-- incredible as pets and guard-dogs both.

That said, I always envisioned dogs and zombie dogs in cata to be some kind of whippet or greyhound, which aren’t really noted for aggression.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:14, topic:4731”][quote=“Squirrel, post:3, topic:4731”]Well, I do assume they are jumping, but taking real life into account, don’t dogs go for the/arms legs first?

I assume if a dog latched on to you and you fell down, he could start biting your head, but I personally haven’t seen a dog go straight for the head.[/quote]

You ever seen a German shepherd attack someone?
They really do jump up and I wouldn’t be surprised if they could reach and tear out your throat in a moment unless you’re some six-foot plus basketball player.
If you let basic instinct rule to defend yourself, you’d probably move your hands and arms infront of your face and try to push the dog away.
That means the closest target to the dog is now your juicy forearms.

Most people see things like police dog training videos of dog trainers wearing lots of padding on the arms-- because by baiting the dogs to bite the arms, they’re training them to not go for the neck or face. Be a bit useless if someone caught resisting arrest was brought in via bodybag.
Of course, some smaller breeds are gonna attack the legs simply because they can’t reach the neck or face.

Anyway, can’t recommend German shepherds enough as a breed.
Very, very loyal-- incredible as pets and guard-dogs both.

That said, I always envisioned dogs and zombie dogs in cata to be some kind of whippet or greyhound, which aren’t really noted for aggression.[/quote]

Coming next to Cata: Basset Hounds. They can track your scent FOREVER but their only attack is to paralyze you while you give them a belly rub (for a large morale boost of course). I predict they will be the most dangerous creatures in the world.