Do you play with tileset or ASCII and why?

ASCII as it makes a lot more sense than trying to discern what a heap of multicolored pixels are.

It’s also a lot easier on the eyes than a swath of random graphics.

When I start playing a new roguelike, I always give the tileset(s) a chance if there are any, but 99% of the time I can’t find one that isn’t suffering from this problem: [quote=“Labtop_215, post:19, topic:4751”]too much in the other tilesets that are unaccounted for.[/quote]

For the stable release I prefer ThuztorTileset@, but for the later patches I prefer ascii. One thing I can’t take is inconsistencies.

[quote=“DG123, post:10, topic:4751”]Tileset, and I use Raga’s tileset.

Why? Because I prefer my eyes to not be bleeding.

ASCII is hard to look at and hard to comprehend what you’re seeing. Sure, you can get used to it, but after taking a short break from playing I was confused all over again. I don’t get that problem with a tileset.

The only thing I don’t like about using a tileset is that my viewport distance is too small when it comes to driving around. But I’m not sure how much better it would be with ASCII…[/quote]

I like ASCII, and have played roguelikes in ASCII since … oh god… I don’t want to think how long ago that was when I started.

Anywho, I’ve more recently switched to a tiles-only way of playing them because, as DG says above, I just can’t stand the eye-bleed (and for me, day-ending migraines). Symptoms of getting older maybe, and compounded with buying a big pretty monitor for graphical things with way too many pixels for non-graphical things.

I don’t think the clothes even exist until you kill it.

I normally play ASCII (I mean, this game has some beautiful ASCII graphics compared to other games, another example of this would be Caves of Qud, I mean, what the hell, that’s ASCII on a whole new level!), unless the game has some nice tiles (Dwarf Fortress - Ironhand, Tales of Maj’Eyal). Why? Dunno, I just do.

ASCII, simply because i am used to it.

ASCII + Cataclysm = more dark, noir, gritty and dystopian feel. ASCII just seems right while tiles not.

Come on, let’s be honest my fellow ASCII preferring people: it’s because we’re the hipsters of the gaming world.

Hey, I am not a part of that right? I mean I only use ascii for patches (I think that what they are called). That doesn’t mean I am a hipster, right, right?

For me, ASCII has nothing to do with being hipster; it’s simply difficult for me to find a tileset that flows as nicely as ASCII does when I look at everything on screen. If that retro tileset was a little bigger and didn’t make me strain my eyes so much, I would use that, but it’s kinda teeny.

The voice of god has a well-known tendency to make heads asplode.

So sure, if you can’t handle the awesome raw power of order and information contained within pure ASCII that’s fine.
Use a tileset.
Ya Heathen. :stuck_out_tongue:

Heretics.

If you play experimental you probably want to use Ascii, because I doubt anyone will come along and 100% maintain a tileset for the new builds and constant additions to displayable objects…

For stables though, whatever are the current tilesets should work; by that I mean continously updated. (Hoder, deon and mine(and I believe Hrose) have releases for various stables, but all have some missing tiles because of the way the game handles it.
I personally just did not have the patience to manually tile 300 things I didn’t want to add specific tiles for :stuck_out_tongue:

I play with tiles though, I found after a while it helped me differentiate some things easier, especially cars felt a lot more intuitive in tiles mode than ascii to me.

Really? I used tiles a bit at first with this game (I liked your tileset too!), but the cars were the reason i reverted to ASCII!

I use ASCII always.

A game doesn’t need any graphics when it is as complex as C:DDA or Dwarf Fortress, plus my graphic card isn’t the best…

[quote=“Blaze1711, post:36, topic:4751”]I use ASCII always.

A game doesn’t need any graphics when it is as complex as C:DDA or Dwarf Fortress, plus my graphic card isn’t the best…[/quote]

You don’t really need a great graphics card for tiles, you know?

[quote=“Blaze1711, post:36, topic:4751”]I use ASCII always.

A game doesn’t need any graphics when it is as complex as C:DDA or Dwarf Fortress, plus my graphic card isn’t the best…[/quote]

Huh?

Are you saying that using a tileset is actually graphics card intensive? I find it hard to believe.

Noooooo, i meant that games which have demanding graphics aren’t going to run smoothly in my PC, so i don’t even care for graphics anymore, instead i care for the game’s complexity and immersiveness.

ASCII

I’ve been playing on ASCII since Rogue, and I’ve been at this for too long to change now.