Do places you've cleared out stay cleared?

I genned a world with Static Spawn enabled and I was wondering if on static spawn, do new zombies spawn? So for instance say I manage to clear a whole town of zombies. Will more come, or will it be safe forever?

Safe forever, because… well, it’s static. :I

You might want to look out for wildlife though, after you have cleared out a town bears/wolves including their zombified counterparts start to get a problem.
They might break down the windows and doors of your current safehouse if they smell you.

That’s what I thought, but I wanted to be absolutely sure. I found a little outlying town, consisting of only about 6 houses and a grocery store, and cleared it out, and just wanted to be sure I wouldn’t have any more zombie issues.

[quote=“Caphoras, post:3, topic:5382”]You might want to look out for wildlife though, after you have cleared out a town bears/wolves including their zombified counterparts start to get a problem.
They might break down the windows and doors of your current safehouse if they smell you.[/quote]

That’s a good tip, I’ll definitely be careful about that. Bears were the death of my first two survivors.

“Static spawn” doesn’t apply to everything. It’s probably changed in the past six months, but it used to affect only the zombie spawn in towns. Animals, swamp creatures, fungaloids, blobs, triffids, etc were dynamically spawned, and therefore killing all of the ones you could see didn’t mean you wouldn’t encounter more later.

Without getting too technical, if you kill all of the zombies in a town they won’t be replaced by more zombies. But you’ll start to notice a great deal more animals and things that spawn from the nearby plains and such.

Also, if you don’t want the zombies getting back up, make sure you butcher them once they’re down.

Or just smash them.

No, in dynamic you could kill an assload and none would spawn for like ever.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:8, topic:5382”]No, in dynamic you could kill an assload and none would spawn for like ever.[/quote]Isn’t dynamic still noise based? So if you don’t make noise, none will ever spawn, but if you go blasting away with a shotgun you’ll be swarmed.

No, they still spawn with or without noise. Noise just accelerates the process.

Dynamic isn’t that interesting - you can still clear a town of zombies, the method is just different. Rather than going through the town systematically, you just find a likely site, make a bunch of noise and kill and kill until the spawn is more or less exhausted.