[Discussion Thread] Gameplay differences between PC genders?

Apologies if this is in the wrong subforum.

What do you all think, should one gender be any different from the other? Right now, we have different starting undies depending on the survivor’s profession. But I’ve seen in some other threads things like, only men can grow beards that sligthly warm their face, or women needing less calories in a day to function.
I sincerely hope periods never become a part of the game. They sound horrible.

Bodily functions are already blacklisted.

Opinions:
If calories per day is ever put in, it should be tied to a “size” stat, not gender. Characters are working, moving, and fighting outdoors all day; the differing caloric needs of sedentary males and females are going to be irrelevant.

Warmth from beards, hair, etc, is something I’d fully embrace, especially if there’s an option to put your hair up or take it down to change how much it warms you and whether or not it warms your face as well as your head. Still, it’s essentially fluff; a little bit of head and face warmth are trivial to get and not strictly beneficial in the first place.

Aside from “women don’t grow beards,” and pure fluff elements like what your underwear and career are called, I don’t think anything should differentiate women and men in cata.

Currently it’s used only for clothes and for tilesets.

Agree with you on pretty much everything, AluminumFoil.
Cata should definitely have an accurate hair simulation, like DF’s body system except for hair.

If you did then females would get shafted by starting strength penalties/caps.
Plus you just know people would complain about it to no end.

So I’d say it’s simply not worth it.

Beards aren’t male-only, and speaking for mine it really doesn’t hold in that much heat. I’ve had it freeze on a few occasions.

Differing on the basis of sex seems about as useful as differing professions based on gender: not very, and possible vector for sexism. D8 Cosmetic gear-changes, at best, which is pretty much what we’ve got already.

Ka… You look so kawaii. And I never expected you to have a huge ass beard.

+1 for hair and plus +1 for beads still letting your face get cold mine is only realy any good at keeping my chin warm.

I’ve never seen how that idea keep comeing up it this day and age when it is so easy to look on line and see things like
British International Most Powerful Woman
, or dozen pics of women with muscles.

Lets just assume that every one went to the gym or that stronger women and men roll for bigger bodys.

Generally for games like this I’m of the equality stance. Anything that has an actual effect on the game (instead of just being description based) should probably be moved to things like traits that would allow anyone to do it. I know plenty of guys who can’t grow more than scruff that wouldn’t give any warmth at all. By allowing anything that has an effect to be mixed and matched, you allow for anyone to build what they want, instead of ignoring the fact that humanity is full of exceptions to any stereotype you might come up with.

How about women being less intimidating to NPC’s?
When they are added.

I, sir, call bullshit.

When a Half slime woman in full power armor wielding a paper wrapper and having a bear corpse hung on the rack on her back approaches you. Then starts to huff and puff, you run the FUCK away.

I’m with i2amroy. Full impressive beards should be wrapped in a trait that ANYONE can take, regardless of gender!

There’s absolutely no reason to couple and reduce customization unless we’re balancing perks and drawbacks so need one of each, and for gender there’s no point.

I can’t see why women can’t have a higher speed and dex stat, and men get cheaper strength stats.

It’s not like men and women are exactly the same as men. We have separate bathrooms. Separate schools. Separate rooms. Infact the constitution (as far as i know) doesn’t even state women are equal to men.

But of course I’m just getting hypercritical and trollish.

Basically:
Men: Cheaper to buy strength and Endurance points
Women: cheaper Dex and Int points.

What are these ‘Endurance points’ you speak of? Are you sure you’re playing DDA?

I don’t think stereotype men as “strong and clumsy and dumb” while women as “weak but dextrous and clever” would really work, and it’s prone to being sexist so yeah I vote for equality in game stat.

• 10000 to women with bad-ass beard, I would definitely play such character.

Why should they? Should asthmatic characters also get more expensive endurance points, or an endurance hit? Should characters that have taken melee skill get a point boost? Should smart characters acquire free skills?

What is the point of conflating different chargen options we already have controls for? All it does is limit the number of characters that can be played, without actually adding anything of value. Is that you don’t think the choice between “male” and “female” is meaningful enough, that it needs both unrelated perks AND drawbacks associated with the choice? Because most people would disagree… most people already make the choice, instead of just letting it be random or something, so its clear that it is meaningful.

So why would we want to make these stat adjustments, and make it more difficult for someone to play a hulk of a woman or a twig of a man? There’s a clear cost - what’s the benefit?

I guess I can agree with that.

+1 for equality, why can’t Helga have as many muscles as Hans? sure she probably looks like an east german olympic shot putter but that doesn’t matter.

[quote=“Funk, post:8, topic:6000”]+1 for hair and plus +1 for beads still letting your face get cold mine is only realy any good at keeping my chin warm.

I’ve never seen how that idea keep comeing up it this day and age when it is so easy to look on line and see things like
British International Most Powerful Woman
, or dozen pics of women with muscles.

Lets just assume that every one went to the gym or that stronger women and men roll for bigger bodys.[/quote]

You just proved my point with that link.
Peak female strength is comparable to a man of above average strength.

Show me a woman who could stand up to someone like peak Karelin in power, and then I might agree that “Women are strong too!!”.
Go ahead, I’ll wait here.

[quote=“infectedmochi, post:15, topic:6000”]I don’t think stereotype men as “strong and clumsy and dumb” while women as “weak but dextrous and clever” would really work, and it’s prone to being sexist so yeah I vote for equality in game stat.

• 10000 to women with bad-ass beard, I would definitely play such character.[/quote]