Different way

Is there a way to make it so that not just Mph can be turned to Km/h and Fahrenheit to Celsius, but lots of other things like stores to shops, highways to motorways, motorcycles to motorbikes, trucks to lorries and gallons to litres and so on and so forth, I’d just like a bit more of a homely feel, being from the UK.

The source code is avail. You can do that :slight_smile:

Achtung! Autobahn! Halt! Alaaarm! Alaaaaaaarm!
Aye carramba, me corazon…

It is possible, but in order to do so there would be a lot of small changes in the code that would not make much of a difference to gameplay, so the devs will probably put it off. If you want to take the source code and modify it to make it more English/British/UK-ish than feel free to do so.

If I knew how, I would.

Actually the place where you would be off best looking isn’t at the source code, but rather looking at some of the translation groups. Maybe you could get some people together to do a “British English” translation of the game, it shouldn’t take too much work.

Where in the cataclysm code would I or the group of people I call friends have to change things?

Take a look at the files in lang/po/
We’d need to establish a new en_GB.po file if I remember the country code correctly, and someone would need to go through that file and translate Americanisms into Britishisms(?). Take a look through the file to get a feel for how much work it will be, but keep in mind there are various tools for editing it, you don’t have to edit it purely manually.

A typical text chunk looks like: #: help.cpp:774 msgid "H= Highway - Like roads, but lined with guard rails." msgstr ""

Which you want to change to something like: #: help.cpp:774 msgid "H= Highway - Like roads, but lined with guard rails." msgstr "H= Motorway - Like roads, but lined with guard rails."

If anyone wants to commit to making a canadian, austrailian, or any other localization (l10n), we can do that.

could add zombie royal family members. however,they dont attack people since they are royalty. the other zombies attack for them, then pay taxes to support them. just saying…

if its going to be more homely shouldn’t the weather patterns change to rain all the time?

[quote=“youtoo, post:9, topic:2397”]could add zombie royal family members. however,they dont attack people since they are royalty. the other zombies attack for them, then pay taxes to support them. just saying…

if its going to be more homely shouldn’t the weather patterns change to rain all the time?[/quote]

That would make sense, but then when it gets sunny it should be REALLY hot. Cos’ that’s what it’s like over here.

[quote=“Mr. Epic Cheese Man, post:10, topic:2397”][quote=“youtoo, post:9, topic:2397”]could add zombie royal family members. however,they dont attack people since they are royalty. the other zombies attack for them, then pay taxes to support them. just saying…

if its going to be more homely shouldn’t the weather patterns change to rain all the time?[/quote]

That would make sense, but then when it gets sunny it should be REALLY hot. Cos’ that’s what it’s like over here.[/quote]

Now that you mention it, any British translation will need to add a “complain about the weather” dialogue option to all NPC conversations.

Also, you won’t ever need to be going to the can to take sh*t. Now you can just step into your Lorry to go to the Loo.

God thank you for BBC and the fine, street-coarse phrases throughout latest TV series. If it weren’t for you, I’d be forever asking myself is the “Spork or the Foon” dilemma all you ever argue about.

[quote=“youtoo, post:9, topic:2397”]could add zombie royal family members. however,they dont attack people since they are royalty. the other zombies attack for them, then pay taxes to support them. just saying…

I think you’re forgetting this is based of the new england region of america, not in Great Britten. Of course the argument could be made of “Maybe the cataclysm happened somewhere else this time”