Different Tile Starts (Etc: World Biomes)

StoneCacti posted a topic but also had something in there along asking if there was a desert biome. So I thought that would be pretty cool but not to have different bio's mixed of course.

I figured since everytime we play we are in a grassland/forest Biome that possibly upon starting a new game though we could choose from a set of biomes our world to be in? As for example Default would be what we normally play in and we have the options between a Desert or Tundra world. I figured these would be the easiest since seasons do not affect these as much as other's as in terms of a majority change in appearance if any at all. Just an idea though of course. 

Deserts would have cactus instead of tree's but would have a chance to hurt you upon going on the tile itself. Quicksand could lead to underground tunnels or caves, antlion pits etc or just death in general.

Tundra, well other than being a tundra not so sure what ideas to put. Maybe yeti's? idk have not thought of it much but either way thought this was a neat idea and I know if anything was the case it would be awhile before we even saw any light on this if it was going towards that direction anyway but all in all, would give more variety when starting a new world by being able to pick the worlds biome to play in.

Tundra could be reflavoured as nuclear Winter. That gives you some more wriggle room as you can just have basic New England, but more snow and less sunlight.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. Not sure how nuclear winter skipped my mind but that would work. Or make it so that when you launch nukes, it raises the chance of a nuclear winter actually happening by determining the area of coverage and after you launch a set amount of nukes or so on it causes a nuclear winter for good long period of time. That or the more nukes launched the more severity of the nuclear winter's harshness by decrease in temperature and more acidic rain or such.

The eventual goal is to tie this into the portal system, where you will have portals to hot places turning the area around them into deserts, portals to cold places turning them into tundra, and so on.

reminds me of this ([ftp=ftp://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1714.0]http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1714.0[/ftp]) back on the old forum.

[quote=“Necrucifer, post:1, topic:2965”] StoneCacti posted a topic but also had something in there along asking if there was a desert biome. So I thought that would be pretty cool but not to have different bio’s mixed of course.

I figured since everytime we play we are in a grassland/forest Biome that possibly upon starting a new game though we could choose from a set of biomes our world to be in? As for example Default would be what we normally play in and we have the options between a Desert or Tundra world. I figured these would be the easiest since seasons do not affect these as much as other's as in terms of a majority change in appearance if any at all. Just an idea though of course. 

Deserts would have cactus instead of tree's but would have a chance to hurt you upon going on the tile itself. Quicksand could lead to underground tunnels or caves, antlion pits etc or just death in general.

Tundra, well other than being a tundra not so sure what ideas to put. Maybe yeti's? idk have not thought of it much but either way thought this was a neat idea and I know if anything was the case it would be awhile before we even saw any light on this if it was going towards that direction anyway but all in all, would give more variety when starting a new world by being able to pick the worlds biome to play in.[/quote]

Love the idea of Desert biome!

John McDouall Stuart was an explorer who crossed the heart of australia, he found mounds that sprang up in the desert that contained water in them.

The minerals in the water were way too heavy and gave him and his companions stomach pains.

They finally had to boil the water and collect the steam to drink, thus purifying the water supply.

Seems simply enough to add some sort of distiller to utilize those mounds.

Also maybe an option to shave down whatever you are carrying, in exchange for loss of volume/productivity of the item.

Like a backpack can be shaved down to carry less, but also weighs less and is less cumbersome.

Only reason Stuart made it across, is because he was super industrious and only used super high quality items that were practically miniature in size.
Before his voyage everyone just tried to pack everything and the kitchen sink, which never worked, because it was just too much to lug across the heart of australia.

I like the shaved down idea.

Yeah, the ability to manipulate encumbrance by shaving items would be legit.
Also item weight/volume.

Mutant cacti you can tap for water. The occasional Tasty Cacti fruit–

and giant desert scorpions armed with crossbows. Sandstorms, a persistent weather effect that reduces visibility depending on your PER and has a chance to cause damage dependant on your coverage and environmental protection. Giant Multi-tile sandworms in the deep desert that are aggressive to all things…

…and giant moving sand dunes which slowly bury locations under few z levels of sand…

[quote=“Iosyn, post:9, topic:2965”]Mutant cacti you can tap for water. The occasional Tasty Cacti fruit–

and giant desert scorpions armed with crossbows. Sandstorms, a persistent weather effect that reduces visibility depending on your PER and has a chance to cause damage dependant on your coverage and environmental protection. Giant Multi-tile sandworms in the deep desert that are aggressive to all things…[/quote]

Hell yeah! Sounds good.

That is freaking awesome.

Man i need to start coding again.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:9, topic:2965”]Mutant cacti you can tap for water. The occasional Tasty Cacti fruit–

and giant desert scorpions armed with crossbows. Sandstorms, a persistent weather effect that reduces visibility depending on your PER and has a chance to cause damage dependant on your coverage and environmental protection. Giant Multi-tile sandworms in the deep desert that are aggressive to all things…[/quote]
Don’t forget the StoneCacti! :stuck_out_tongue:
[size=3pt]YUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUK[/size]