...Did something happen to mapgen?

Either I’ve defied the RNG gods or something is broken here, I’ve generated several worlds in an attempt to start a new game and died several times. As is the custom of the game. But I’ve noticed three times now that a freshly generated world is /exactly/ the same, or at least the 15 ‘range’ revealed at spawn is.

It’s not the mapgen, but the RNG. PR fixing this is already waiting to be merged: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11305

Good to hear it’s not just my versions that are coming out non-random, though. Been tough to get the fix implemented as the same Very Clever Coder also broke compiler compatibility for some versions.

any way I can force a new seed in the mean time? I kinda got really screwed by the not so random random number generator

No, but I’m pulling it shortly and will fast-track the testing process. Hopefully The One Who Stocks will have a new build within the hour.

No, but I’m pulling it shortly and will fast-track the testing process. Hopefully The One Who Stocks will have a new build within the hour.[/quote]

Eh, I’m mostly just glad to know I’m not going crazy. I think I actually shouted “I SWEAR TO GOD I RAIDED THAT BUILDING ON MY LAST LIFE” earlier.

Thanks though

Verdammt. One of the two fixes crashes on startup. Bisecting now.

Actually you can provide a random seed by doing:

cataclysm --seed "some random string"

Other than worldgen it shouldn’t matter much since different game starts will trigger different RNG calls.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:8, topic:8945”]Actually you can provide a random seed by doing:

cataclysm --seed "some random string"

Other than worldgen it shouldn’t matter much since different game starts will trigger different RNG calls.[/quote]

Nifty and good to know, though that seems like it’d need tinkering with the Properties on the windows version.

Kevin with the fix, yep.