Dark wyrm question re: Latest experimental features

Was, uh, something supposed to happen with all those Worms?

I did ‘the thing’ and killed a bunch amidst the rumbling, and they made a mighty fine acid and rubble mess, then nothing? Am I missing something?

[quote=“Commie, post:1, topic:8457”]Was, uh, something supposed to happen with all those Worms?

I did ‘the thing’ and killed a bunch amidst the rumbling, and they made a mighty fine acid and rubble mess, then nothing? Am I missing something?[/quote]

This is better asked in the Bunker or Garage.

It’s a new thing not in 0.b though.

Was this not the right place for it?

True, but if you think something’s wrong, bug report in Garage, and talking about a new feature in detail (rather than “hey, this is a new thing, here’s some info about it” kinds of posts) is better in the Bunker.

Moving this to the Garage, and yeah, I thought I got that working better but perhaps the dinner bell isn’t ringing as loudly as it had been in testing. :-/

I was deafened so perhaps I didn’t hear the dinner bell regardless of volume.

Either way stuff stopped happening for no particular reason, and I was able to wait for 30 minutes and nothing happened. So I feel like I missed something.

OK, yeah. First thing is that we don’t have a good workaround for letting people look at the pedestal but not take the eye: iexamine triggers when you examine, not when you close the examine interface. So the Main Event doesn’t happen unless you look at the pedestal when it hasn’t got an eye on it.

Known bad spot, not sure how best to fix.

The Main Event is a few wyrms spawning in when you take the eye and then being attracted to the sound of the pedestal retracting. About every 3-4 minutes thereafter, another group of wyrms spawn in. If you’re carrying the eye, it screams for backup, the wyrms hear it, and tunnel to that location. Cycle repeats until you get to the surface or make a 1 in 2 check, IIRC.

(It’s pretty tough!)

[quote=“KA101, post:6, topic:8457”]OK, yeah. First thing is that we don’t have a good workaround for letting people look at the pedestal but not take the eye: iexamine triggers when you examine, not when you close the examine interface. So the Main Event doesn’t happen unless you look at the pedestal when it hasn’t got an eye on it.

Known bad spot, not sure how best to fix.

The Main Event is a few wyrms spawning in when you take the eye and then being attracted to the sound of the pedestal retracting. About every 3-4 minutes thereafter, another group of wyrms spawn in. If you’re carrying the eye, it screams for backup, the wyrms hear it, and tunnel to that location. Cycle repeats until you get to the surface or make a 1 in 2 check, IIRC.

(It’s pretty tough!)[/quote]Rather than make the eye an item, perhaps make a pedestal an interactable object, that when smashed or interacted with (like a computer, winch, etc) it triggers the event and drops an eye at your feet?