Critique my Lore! (Work on Newspapers, Some Spoilers)

NO TIME? READ THE BOLD BITS!

With a recent pull that has been merged, C:DDA has gained the ability to add newspapers in some format. Currently they will exist as individual sheets, but this functionality can hopefully eventually be extended to combine the individual articles into whole newspapers… And then trivially from that point to extend that to allow people to remove individual articles, grab flyers etc, and then add them into a scrapbook (Who knows, maybe even a polaroid camera next that makes photos you can add to your scrapbook… I’m not pushing for it, but it’s an idea)

What i’d like help with, is that i’ve written a bunch of Article summaries for potential newspapers, and would like if you’d be so nice as to look them over, note unclear wordings, state if you think an article belongs in an older or more recent category than it’s in… and most important of all, let me know if i got anything wrong (Unless perhaps, it looks like i’m deliberately providing certain misinformation, based on the way the government would have manipulated the media)

Wanna help? Wanna know more? Wanna ruin these finds for yourself later? :wink: Then click below and tell me what you find.

[spoiler][
{
“type”:“STATIONARY_ITEM”,
“id”: “new_newspaper”,
“symbol”: “,”,
“color”: “white”,
“name”: “newspaper page”,
“plural-name”: “newspaper pages”,
“snippet_category”: “new_news”,
“description”: “A single sheet of newspaper broadsheet. It is possibly one of the last issues printed before New England was overwhelmed. Most of the information on there is terribly trivial, or out of date, but one thing catches your eye briefly.”,
“price”: 0,
“material”: “paper”,
“weight”: 3,
“volume”: 0,
“bashing”: 0,
“cutting”: 0,
“to_hit”: 0
},

{
“type”: “snippet”,
“category”:“new_news”,
“text”:
[“LABS BOMBED: In further invasion proof (discounting earlier suggestion of a riot drug) most of New England’s scientific labs were bombed simultaneously yesterday. No word yet from the military about who the aggressors are.”,
“CHINA INVADES?: Communications were muddled by a large influx of aggressive armed individuals. ‘We have this’ says Police Chief ‘We are authorising Securibots and Turrets to use lethal force on combative humans’”,
“INVADERS NOT HUMAN?: An earlier command by the Police Chief has backfired. ‘The invaders don’t register as human. The securibots turned on us when we tried to fight them. We don’t have enough people left to reprogram’”,
“INVASION IS GM TROOPS: Reports of invasion by as yet unknown soldiers have been confirmed, and our paper has gained first hand footage proving genetic modification, with examples of extreme strength, speed and natural armour”,
“INVADERS ARE SUPER SOLDIERS: Further proof of mutation, in addition to Strength, Speed & Toughness, we now have reports of Enemies which causing lightning fields, spitting acid and reports of mobile clouds of smoke.”,
“MILITARY HAS GM TOO - GENERAL: ‘We want to reassure the people, these invaders are not the only super-soldiers, our GM-tech is more advanced than china, we were safety-testing, which china obviously skipped disastrously.’”,
“PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: ‘Aid Delayed’. Fighting by the military at the edge of the New England Disaster Area is expected to delay civilian extraction. Civilians will be forced to supply themselves over the next weeks.”,
“PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: ‘New England Cut Off’. New England has been quarantined for the safety of the rest of the USA. No rescue attempts will be funded, it is assumed there are no survivors in the area.”,
“BEWARE UNDEAD PROPAGANDA: Stories about the dead ‘rising’ may abet the enemy, a general said today. 'These stories have been tracked to communist sources tied in with the presumably Chinese invasion.”,
" LEAVE TO THE EXPERTS – GENERAL: ‘Do not attempt to deal with Invaders yourself, our troops have the CBMs and training for military action. Loud gunfire may attract more enemy attention than you have ammo to deal with’",
“PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCEMENT: ‘Towns occupied-territory’. Do not try to defend your property in towns, Invaders use advanced tracking, perhaps scent. Please retreat to your nearest Evac centre outside town and await extraction.”,
“PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCEMENT: ‘Beware Acid Rain’. Several caustic chemicals in the air react with rain clouds to cause deadly Acid rain. No word yet on if this is a deliberate tactic or a side result of the earlier bombings.”,
“GENERAL SAYS AVOID BUNKERS: Do not attempt to flee to your nearest military bunker, understaffed bunkers are defended by Turrets which shoot those without Military ID. Please seek Military personnel if you need access”,
“PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: ‘Dispose of dead’. Recognisable enemy dead left lying in the street may give away guerrilla positions. If forced to fight an enemy combatant please smash or butcher with a knife til unrecognisable”]
},

{
    "type":"STATIONARY_ITEM",
    "id": "v_old_newspaper",
    "symbol": ",",
    "color": "white",
    "name": "newspaper page",
    "plural-name": "newspaper pages",
    "snippet_category": "very_old_news",
    "description": "A single sheet of newspaper broadsheet. It seems to date from years ago, you are surprised it has lasted this long. Most of the information on there is terribly trivial, or out of date, but one thing catches your eye briefly.",
    "price": 0,
    "material": "paper",
    "weight": 3,
    "volume": 0,
    "bashing": 0,
    "cutting": 0,
    "to_hit": 0
}, 

{
“category”:“very_old_news”,
“text”:
[“QUANTUM LEAP: An undisclosed project has yielded results in the form of short range teleportation. ‘This is just the tip of the iceberg’ said a source ‘I can’t disclose, but this development is the LEAST in this exciting vein!’”,
“HE WILL BLOW YOUR WORLD: Scientist Kevin Granade invents ‘Reality Grenade’ based on teleport-tech… Could be used to weaken enemies or improve own troops. ‘We’re still in Alpha testing’ says Kevin, ‘It really needs a Bugfix’.”,
“Securibots: Keeping your home safe, ready the second the alarm goes off… Who needs people?”,
“ROBOCOP BEATS CRIME: Due to the common usage of Securibots and their ability to respond more rapidly than people, Crime is down 54% and dropping. Police chief says ‘Don’t trip an alarm and you have nothing to worry about’”,
“ROBOT RAMPAGE: Three Protestors injured when surrounding a Military base, protesting automated turrets which put guards out of jobs. ‘We warned them, turrets will open fire on anyone without a military ID’ a general said.”,
“GOVERNMENT INTRODUCES GUN SUBSIDIES: In a move the government says will boost the economy, encourage military production and support defence militia, the government has dropped taxes on guns and applied a subsidy for the poor”,
“US IGNORES UN DEMANDS: The US ambassador today turned down UN requests to begin nuclear disarmament by China, the US and North Korea. ‘We have a right to defend ourselves’ insisted ambassador ‘We’ll back down when they do’.”,
“A WHOLE NEW YOU! Augment your world with CBMs! This ad features a man covered in solar panels with a miniature flashlight in the middle of his head.”,
“The Future… powered by COFFEE! Atomic industries brings you the greatest revolution since Espresso. Why wait for milk to boil? Have your coffee ready instantly with the power of THE ATOM! (powered by plutonium fuel-cell)”,
“GLAMOPOLITAN! We’ve got ALL the latest tips! Whether you want to know what the elite are eating, wearing or discussing, Glamopolitan is YOUR magazine! So pick up a copy today and Sizzle like a star!”,
“POPULAR MECHANICS: People say mechanics is boring, we say, Prove them Wrong! We’ve got all the articles that make it interesting to talk about, so you can… make Mechanics Popular!”,
“CRAFTY CRAFTERS QUARTERLY: Macaroni isn’t just for eating anymore! Learn how to make jewellery and art from it as well! We also discuss the correct way to use superglue without gluing your hands together!”]
},

{
    "id": "old_newspaper",
    "snippet_category": "old_news",
    "description": "A single sheet of newspaper broadsheet. It seems to date from years ago, you are surprised it has lasted this long. Most of the information on there is terribly trivial, or out of date, but one thing catches your eye briefly.",
},

{
“category”:“old_news”,
“text”:
[“GRANADE SEEKS FUNDING FOR GRANADE: Kevin Granade seeks funding for reality-warping weapon called ‘the Granade’. ‘It works by patching reality. I’m thinking of crowdsourcing via Kickstarter under the term Project Cataclysm’ “,
” GOVERNMENT SCIENCE BOOST: The government has drastically increased defence R&D after UN disarmament Demands. ‘This not only keeps money in our country, but keeps our lead on china and keeps us defended’ said President.”,
“HOME GROWN SCIENCE: The New England mayor today relaxed laws that limit the distance a laboratory or factory can be from a city. ‘This should boost local traffic, with all the military’s Cybernetics labs are producing’ says Mayor.”,
“DRIVING ON A WING AND A PRAYER: A New England man has proven it is possible to create a new car from scrap parts using almost nothing but Duct tape. When asked why he had done it, his answer was ‘Well, I didn’t have a Welder.’”,
“NEVER BE LEFT IN THE DARK! New Atomic-nightlight uses ‘inexhaustible’ plutonium fuel cell, provides light, feeds power back into your grid!”,
“A WHOLE NEW YOU! Augment your world with CBMs! This ad features a man covered in solar panels with a miniature flashlight in the middle of his head.”,
“Sick of FUEL PRICES? Bus stops too far? Get your driving fix from THE SUN! Solar powered electric cars: Silent, Cheap, Powerful.”,
“Coffee of The Future… RIGHT NOW! No one has really has the time to make great coffee, but now you don’t have to! We give you the Inexhaustible ATOMIC power! To make boiling hot coffee the MINUTE you want it! Atomic Coffee.”,
“GLAMOPOLITAN! We’ve got ALL the latest tips! Whether you want to know what the elite are eating, wearing or discussing, Glamopolitan is YOUR magazine! So pick up a copy today and Sizzle like a star!”,
“POPULAR MECHANICS: People say mechanics is boring, we say, Prove them Wrong! We’ve got all the articles that make it interesting to talk about, so you can… make Mechanics Popular!”,
“BIRDHOUSE MONTHLY… This month we look at some Dutch innovations in Birdhouse design, and compare with the often confused Scandinavian Birdhouse design, and our article on sheet metal design will have you riveted!”]
},

{
    "id": "recent_newspaper",
    "snippet_category": "recent_news",
    "description": "A single sheet of newspaper broadsheet. It was printed more than a year ago. Most of the information on there is terribly trivial, or out of date, but one thing catches your eye briefly.",
},

{
“category”:“recent_news”,
“text”:
[“SHOW THEM YOUR GUNS: In response to China’s latest threats, the government has further relaxed gun control, expected to increase the economic boost of earlier gun subsidies and relieve public tension.”,
“READY FOR THE WORST: The government has proven it is ready to deal with China’s threats. In the event of an actual attack, we have established Evacuation centres, within a short distance of most towns.”,
“MUTANT COLD: A new cold virus has emerged in the New England area. ‘There don’t appear to be complications, but many sufferers are developing large amounts of benign tumorous tissue, A pound or more’ said a doctor”,
“GRAVE BUSINESS: Recent reports show a large spike in thefts from and assaults on funeral homes in the last few weeks. Described as highly strange but not especially dangerous, homeland is ‘looking at the connections now’”,
“SPACE TELEPORTATION - TRUTH OR FICTION? Scientists addressed a growing conspiracy theory today ‘The plutonium consumed is massive. We cannot use teleportation to reach aliens, unless they live on some kind of parallel world’”,
“LASERS - NOW POINT AND KILL: The Military revealed a prototype today. ‘We are still working on it, the laser gun lacks power, but has a technically almost unlimited range’ said a developer”,
“DRUG USE ON THE RISE: Recent statistic suggest drug use has climbed more than 40% in the last two years. ‘People are scared for their jobs, their country, even their life… of course some will turn to drugs’ said an expert.”,
“WAR ON DRUGS DEAD: The government has finally reacted to long accumulated evidence that suggests that decriminalized drugs cause fewer health problems and are generally better managed while providing tax.”,
“FEELING BLUE? Try ‘Greens’ for Magazines! Your local Supermarket! Nothing cheers you up like a good magazine… Unless it’s JUNK FOOD! Or why not buy an MP3 PLAYER or a GAME CONSOLE? Chase those Blues away at GREENS Supermarket”,
“BIRDHOUSE MONTHLY… Which wood would a woodpecker prefer? This month we discuss hardwood versus soft woods, wether to lacquer, oil or paint, and which type of nails you should use!”,
" …What do you know about surviving in the Wilderness? If you can’t make a snare you don’t know TRAP! Hunt down a copy of TRAPPERS’ LIFE and learn about wildlife!.. And how to kill it. This week, a BEAR-TRAP!"]
},

{
    "id": "v_recent_newspaper",
    "snippet_category": "very_recent_news",
    "description": "A single sheet of newspaper broadsheet. It was printed in the months leading up to the Cataclysm. Most of the information on there is terribly trivial, or out of date, but one thing catches your eye briefly.",
},

{
“category”:“very_recent_news”,
“text”:
[“SUPPORT THE COUNTRY THAT SUPPORTS YOU - PRESIDENT: Unexpectedly and unpopularly, the president today instituted a peacetime draft in response to China massing troops. ‘We must pray for the best while preparing for the worst’”,
“RIOTS CAUSED BY ‘NEW DRUG’: Rumours of riots were quelled today. ‘These are isolated incidents’ says police chief. ‘The violence is random and senseless, our current theory is a street drug gone terribly wrong’”,
“EVACS UNSTOCKED: TRUTH OR FICTION? A Government whistle-blower has suggested Evac centres are unstocked, having ‘already accomplished the goal of calming the people’. He later retracted the comment and is unable to be contacted.”,
“ZOMBIE DRUG: TRUTH OR FICTION? A blogger suggests recent riots are a chemical attack by china. ‘They are jealous of our cybernetic superiority, they teamed up with Haiti to put hoodoo drugs in the water making people Zombies.’”,
“NEW WEAPON UNVEILED: Defence today lifted the lid on a long held secret project. ‘We can’t discuss the specifics, but it generates a burst of plasma which accurately follows a path of laser-heated air’ says general”,
“UFO CRASH: TRUTH OR FICTION? One Civilian account claims a shining disk appeared in his field. ‘It kind of glowed, and I could see a strange grey world through it. Then a shambling mushroom man came through’”,
“TIME TRAVEL: TRUTH OR FICTION? Leaked federal documents describe the formation of a new Federal agency XEDRA, to oversee ‘4th Axis technology’ already in use. Expert opinion suggests time-travel or parallel worlds.”,
" …What do you know about surviving in the Wilderness? If you can’t make a snare you don’t know TRAP! Hunt down a copy of TRAPPERS’ LIFE and learn about wildlife!.. And how to kill it. Classic BEAR-TRAP returns in this issue!",
“PICKLED MEAT IN A JAR! Just like your grandma used to make! It will last for months or longer, and when you’ve eaten it, you can refill and seal the jar! Stock your emergency supply TODAY!”,
“HUNTING GOODS! Food prices getting you down? Why not get a crossbow or compound bow and Hunt Your Own!? Our arrows and bolts are completely reusable, so why not hunt animals like Mother Nature intended?”,
“BAGS, BAGS, BAGS! They’re very useful things! If we didn’t have BAGS, what-would-we-use… to PUT a lot of things in!? (Ad by the ‘Play SchoolClothing Co.’)”,
“FEELING BLUE? Try ‘Greens’ for Magazines! Your local Supermarket! Nothing cheers you up like a good magazine… Unless it’s JUNK FOOD! Or why not buy an MP3 PLAYER or a GAME CONSOLE? Chase those Blues away at GREENS Supermarket”]
}
[/spoiler]

Could you take the “Code” section out? It makes reading impossible. So we can read!

Done

Not sure if you should reference the Granade in, it’s supposed to be a joke item and (should be) rare enough that player only find 1 in a play-through.

And the references to it are clearly joke entries. I think they’re great. :slight_smile:

Only critique I would have here is about the teleportation stuff - from what I understand of the lore, it is supposed to be very hush hush and only a few months old at most.

I might write on of these myself, add an entry for some trashy tabloids and some parody newspapers. Could move the granade references to there. I love the writing and feel of these, though!

Really interesting and fun! More!

Gonna have to go over these in chronological order. (There’s a timeline in the Lore section.)

Could probably do it quickly and easily as a PR. File one and I’ll check you up!

The fact that these are being implemented- and the pages upon pages of work in this thread aren’t- makes me shed infinite tears.

I don’t recall telling you not to file a PR? Feel free to do so, and I’ll review all of it.

shakes head

Oh- well. That’s handy. I kinda forgot we had an extremely active Github.

edit: Wait, a PR? Admittedly, I’m awful at git and bash and all that, and though the framework is there (the “note” item exists, fliers exist) I don’t have it actually coded and working. I’ll file an issue instead?

That’s… generally why things don’t get implemented. :stuck_out_tongue: We only have a very limited number of devs, so the only real guaranteed way to get something implemented is for you to code it. That said this looks like it would just be a simple JSON thing, so probably the most difficult part of the process would just be setting up the github app (which is pretty easy). I think that if you look into it you’ll find making a PR for a change like this is really easy.

I’ll work on it, thanks. Sorry for completely derailing the thread!

I love those newspapers, as I’ve already told ya :slight_smile:

Dude, if every thread derail resulted in someone making a PR for content we want in the game, I wouldn’t mind every thread in the forum having one :wink:

OK, gave that lore another once-over. Right general idea, would like to tweak a lot of things, really looking for the PR.

Uhm. Ok!.. Not really familiar with Github at all, but i’m a programmer by trade so if i can’t figure it out enough to do a pull request in a single night for code i’ve already got written, well… maybe i’m in the wrong profession :-p

(I had figured let the hashing out occur here on the forum rather than on Github, but i’m happy to do it the other way arround :-p)

You can actually edit code in github’s environment- on the front page of DDA’s github, you can see all the files (Data, etc.). Navigate normally to any text file, then click “edit” at the top. This’ll make a branch of DDA that is your own, and you can edit freely. Then, click “make a Pull Request” on the right when it’s all said and done.

I’m not sure pressing Edit makes a new branch. I confirm that it does work, I’ve used it quite a lot of time with my own game.

Well, if you don’t have rights to the main repo, clicking edit will prompt you to make a new branch if you haven’t already, and it is (AFAIK) the only way to pull from upstream reliably without using a command line or UI.

In general it’s bad luck to edit directly on the webpage. Tends to send formatting all over the place.

KA101’s workflow (WinXP):
open/log into webpage, windows GUI
open shell from the GUI, confirm in master branch
git pull upstream master
Change to target branch, usually via GUI
open relevant files in Notepad++, hack away
Compiler: CodeBlocks, open and compile as needed
Save, write up the commit message and commit (GUI)
Publish/sync (GUI seems to work better IME)
shift back to master branch
close everything