Constructable bee-hives and honey

thinking that beehives should be a construction option. just because there are giant mutant bees doesn’t mean that ALL the bees are giant mutants neh?

maybe beehives could be found while foraging?

I like this. It would give the beekeeper profession a nice long-term goal.

maybe there’s always a chance that your bees could mutate? 0_o. this would give you a renewable sugar source as well. just be sure to protect them from bears!

For a second I’d thought you’d wanted to build your own giant-hive; I’d been considering that for a while.

Regular hives are fine; though most-if-not-all bees have mutated, that’d be an interesting emergent use for Granades. Throw one near a hive and hope for the BEES!; they find it and settle in.

Oh yeah, great ideas!

Last summer (in real life) a swarm of bees were just flying around in the field in front of my house and eventually landed in a pine tree along my driveway. We had this guy come in who has bees to make a living, he had the customary bee suit on and sprayed the bees with something. I believe it was lemon grass spray or something along the lines of that. He just scooped them right off the branches and put them in a container and brought them back to his house for his own hive.

My idea is that you might, very rarely find some normal sized bees in a hive, or starting to make a hive in a tree in the forest. This would allow you the chance to get bees, without needing a granade, early in the game. Since most of the bees are already huge, this could just be a very rare find, and possibly take an hour to collect them.

[quote=“HavingPhun, post:6, topic:9075”]Last summer (in real life) a swarm of bees were just flying around in the field in front of my house and eventually landed in a pine tree along my driveway. We had this guy come in who has bees to make a living, he had the customary bee suit on and sprayed the bees with something. I believe it was lemon grass spray or something along the lines of that. He just scooped them right off the branches and put them in a container and brought them back to his house for his own hive.

My idea is that you might, very rarely find some normal sized bees in a hive, or starting to make a hive in a tree in the forest. This would allow you the chance to get bees, without needing a granade, early in the game. Since most of the bees are already huge, this could just be a very rare find, and possibly take an hour to collect them.[/quote]

I like this general idea, but the lore is blocking: the goo is so omnipresent by game start that insects have already mutated and built hives to suit their increased size.

Most I could justify would be regular bees existing until the second (third at the most) wildlife-change time point, roughly two or three weeks of game time IIRC. That seems downright harsh for a new feature–get it in the first few weeks or luck(?) out with a Granade. :-/

Well, hmm. Perhaps there should be a way to build your own giant hive, and or gather from the gaint bees in relative safety, by somehow pacifying them, perhaps with some sort of smoke machine. Just trying to figure out some feasible ways that this could be done early on in the game. Since, in my experience, new characters dont generally get granades. They only spawn in military bunkers, and labs right?

I have never been in a giant hive, so I really don’t know what it is like. Such as, can you steamroll the bees, and is the honey and honey comb all over the place? Perhaps the player could live in relative safety alongside the bees, just with some downsides. Problem is, I can’t think of any other than that they attack you sometimes. Which in that case you might as well just kill them all and take their honey, then leave.

There must be some sort of way around the lore, that allows people to use this early on.

[quote=“HavingPhun, post:8, topic:9075”]Well, hmm. Perhaps there should be a way to build your own giant hive, and or gather from the gaint bees in relative safety, by somehow pacifying them, perhaps with some sort of smoke machine. Just trying to figure out some feasible ways that this could be done early on in the game. Since, in my experience, new characters dont generally get granades. They only spawn in military bunkers, and labs right?

I have never been in a giant hive, so I really don’t know what it is like. Such as, can you steamroll the bees, and is the honey and honey comb all over the place? Perhaps the player could live in relative safety alongside the bees, just with some downsides. Problem is, I can’t think of any other than that they attack you sometimes. Which in that case you might as well just kill them all and take their honey, then leave.

There must be some sort of way around the lore, that allows people to use this early on.[/quote]

they also spawn in the random explosives crate.