Considering Dual Wielding

Even then, a lot of the discussion in favor of duel-wielding weapons seems to be too fixated on combining the same weapon. A rapier and dagger would be more useful than two rapiers, but even this would be situationally useful compared to leaving your hand free, using a shield, or just grabbing a spear.

And yeah, combat in Cataclysm doesn’t give you many enemies to practice dueling techniques on. Though I kinda like the way DF2014 handles the idea of trying to hit with a pair of weapons at the same time. You can initiate a multiattack, but it penalizes most types of attacks such that you’re less effective, in exchange for more attempts to land a hit (in practice, my adventurers tend to miss with all attacks when targeting any half-competent enemy).

Probably shouldn’t give players in CDDA the option of attacking with two weapons, punching with both fists, scratching with both hands, kicking with both feet, and biting all at once though. XP

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:41, topic:10455”]Even then, a lot of the discussion in favor of duel-wielding weapons seems to be too fixated on combining the same weapon. A rapier and dagger would be more useful than two rapiers, but even this would be situationally useful compared to leaving your hand free, using a shield, or just grabbing a spear.

And yeah, combat in Cataclysm doesn’t give you many enemies to practice dueling techniques on. Though I kinda like the way DF2014 handles the idea of trying to hit with a pair of weapons at the same time. You can initiate a multiattack, but it penalizes most types of attacks such that you’re less effective, in exchange for more attempts to land a hit (in practice, my adventurers tend to miss with all attacks when targeting any half-competent enemy).

Probably shouldn’t give players in CDDA the option of attacking with two weapons, punching with both fists, scratching with both hands, kicking with both feet, and biting all at once though. XP[/quote]

What I really like of the DF system is that once you get enough archery skill, you can actually chain arrows and melee strikes using the multiattack feature, and it’s actually very effective.

I guess you could do the a similar things with a pistol and a machete in cataclysm. A pistol in your off hand could allow for some sort of “combo” attacks, for example: like stab a zombie in the gut and then finish it up with a point blank headshot (or several).

Pirate style, yarr?

Then again, DF also allows you to initiate a grab to intercept an incoming attack, then immediately initiate a jump before it resolves the grapple, allowing you to send the target flying since they can’t dodge when grabbed.