Composite bow with makeshift arrows bringing down skeletal jugs. Intended..?

I’m not clear what you’re referencing here, there is certainly some tuning that can happen, but in broad strokes it is working as intended.

They are not at all. Anything with extensive and unnatural levels of armor is going to defeat any and all arrows, that’s explicitly working as intended.

The remote upper end of bows is ~200lb draw force, the upper end of an arbalest is ~2,000lbs, but an arbalest has short limbs and a short draw length/power stroke, ballistas sit at around 4,000lb draw weight with a much longer power stroke, they are not comparable.

You’re both overstating things and making an incorrect statement about balance.
Bows do not become obsolete, there are niches where they continue to be useful all the way to the end of the game. If your personal preference is to not carry them in favor of other options, there’s nothing wrong with that, but it does not mean they’re obsolete.
It doesn’t actually matter if a “huge category of weapons” DID become obsolete at some point if that’s how it pans out. For example, most throwing weapons should be obsolete by mid-game since a bow and arrow will be strictly better than throwing weapons, but that’s not a problem, thrown weapons are just bad for most purposes.

Your first source shows a field point not piercing a very low end ballistic plate.
The second one shows some modern bows and crossbows defeating some relatively thin looking chainmail, I’m not clear how this is supposed to be at all definitive.
So basically your evidence shows that high-end bows with field points can defeat some chain armor, and there is no evidence of anything defeating even the weakest ballistic plate.

2 Likes

Thanks for your clarification, Kevin, i do appreciate it :slight_smile:

Well yeah i’ve exaggerated this one a bit but considering more “normal” and “humane” types armored zombies (like majority of zombie soldier types) and not monstrosities who have managed to fuse their bodies with metal or bone material, metal arrows should be quite strong against them since, well, it’s pretty much a walking corpse in a military suit

Yeah, exaggerated that too a wee bit

I get what you mean with your throwing weapons example, it’s just bows and crossbows are so varied for both early, mid and end-game that it would honestly in my opinion be a shame if they did get obsoleted at some point in the gameplay, that’s just my opinion :wink:

Check this out too, it’s more high-quality and more armors and bows/arrows are tested in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y08hwbz574I , like i said in my first quote i believe the truth is somewhere in the middle - it should be viable against “weaker” types of armors which can be soft Kevlar and something similar to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gameplay video of the current bow meta I promised a bit earlier.
(Featuring composite bow + makeshift wooden arrows.)

1 Like

Ok, i admit, it’s quite good even in such state, i was partially wrong :slight_smile: , don’t mind my harshness, it’s just i’m analyzing these very carefully to find proper balanced values myself, though have you tried shooting Juggernauts or Kevlar zombies or Military zombies with it?

It’s just i’m not a fan of either low-high damage or extremely crit-dependent damage systems, it’s very noticeable in weaker bows, that’s why it’s unbalanced, in my mod i’m increasing the damage and reducing the crit_multiplier to make it more stable and more boring but eh, some might prefer it this way when it is all clearly expected and less randomized

Moreover, armor_penetration barely does anything based on my tests, i’ve tested both 0 armor_penetration and 8 armor_penetration arrows - no difference in damage against Kevlar hulks or Military zombies, it definitely should not be like this, for some reason raw bow damage affects armor piercing much more than actual armor_piercing parameter of arrows

Skeletal jugs — yes. Arrows just plink off. However, that was composite bow with makeshift wooden arrows. Compound bow with broadheads might behave somewhat differently.

Composite bow is already very easy to craft. Any bow weaker than that is essentially a training bow —if you choose to use those vs a non-practice target and they fail to deliver any real damage, that’s mostly on you.

Now this is a very valid concern. Essentially, armor-piercing arrows/bolts were never properly coded. However, that’s a somewhat isolated issue.
Also, This video here:

Kind of shows that “armor-piercing bolts” are really only better against the exact type of armor they were designed to penetrate. Otherwise broardheads still rule the day.

2 Likes

i just want my properly forged metal arrows that take have a day to make in decent quantity but are not just pieces of scrap taped to the end of a shaft, and mega bow, mega bows to for those 20/30+ strength mutant sapevore monsters that don’t even see themselfs as human anymore so why are they using crappy human bows when they could use something the size of a small tree.

Sounds like mod material to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes