Composite bow with makeshift arrows bringing down skeletal jugs. Intended..?

Why does the Compound Greatbow now do less damage than the regular compound bow?

Dispersion is still insanely high on all archery weapons.

are you also planning to add a armor piercing type of arrow/bolts. they do exist and are basiclly arrows with a much narrower tip to concentrate the force into a smaller area to increase the chance of penetrating armor/tisseu at the cost of damage since a narrower tip leaves a smaller wound and cuts less tisseu than a brouder tip
edit: maybe make them do less damage but give them a higher crit chance since there higher penetration would increase the chance of hitting something vital.

edit found source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodkin_point

1 Like

Because the compound greatbow is cobbled together from scrap and the compound bow is a highly efficient modern bow.

i always thought that the compound great bow was better since it was ā€œcompoundā€ (making it a still a modern bow) but in bigger size, so it had even more engineering on it

Until a short time ago both the compound bow and compound greatbow were craftable.

Edit: In my opinion, a nerf that archery badly needs is that it should cost Stamina just like making a melee attack. Youā€™re putting your muscles into it and its tiring. Firearms have the great advantage of not doing that.

3 Likes

It looks like bows have gone from being ridiculously powerful back to being completely useless again?

1 Like

After doing some testing, I am happy to report the following:

1. Self-bow is practically useless outside of training ā€” as it should be.
  2. Composite bow is still an extremely deadly weapon if you know what targets are actually vulnerable to it.
  3. Overall, I really like the changes. Definitely better than the 0.E situation.
  4. The only questionable aspect in all of this is that ability to crit with a bow is a function of enemy max HP, not armor. Feels like you should still be able to crit low-armored targets with huge HP pools.

@Tamior
And i donā€™t like the changes at all, it is much worse than it was before, even developers admit that itā€™s not the way it was intended to be, itā€™s literally going from one extreme to another

I would humbly suggest you to fiddle with the JSON values yourself in corresponding item/stat/skill/weapon folder next time before suggesting any significant balance changesā€¦JSON is exactly for that - for editing the game files without mandatory knowledge of programming (but logic still involved :slight_smile: )

And end-game bows with end-game rigid metal arrows are supposed to be viewable against Kevlar zombies and even juggernauts, especially if some of them require incredible amounts of strength which is only possible with CBMs and are akin to ballistas in your bag

Iā€™m all for balance, but if it makes a huge category of weapons obsolete after mid-game, thatā€™s honestly absurd, especially if it does not go against the realism

I donā€™t think the devs like these, they got nerfed into the ground (compound greatbow now does less damage than regular compound bow). Expect them to be removed next revision.

1 Like

By that time my archery revival-balance mod will be ready, i assure you :wink:

1 Like

I have considered a recipe in one of the lab manuals to let you make carbon-fibre arrows out of blob globs and some of the weird chemicals from the new labs. (requires high levels in Cooking and Fabrication). Might be suitable for your mod.

1 Like

Sure thing :slight_smile: messaged you

In 0.E bows were effectively rendering all melee weapons obsolete. Right now they are just somewhat underpowered. Or, to be more precise, they are great vs some enemies, and really bad vs other enemies. This isnā€™t ā€œthe other extremeā€, this is ā€œdemoted to being a highly situationalā€.

And I humbly suggest you come to terms with the fact that bows rendering melee weapons obsolete (and thatā€™s exactly what happens if they are effective against well-armored targets) is highly undesirable.

Says who?

All bows with the highest damage require strength below what a character can start with (14).

And instead you are pushing for a situations where all melee weapons will be obsolete all of the time once you get archery (3) and a few bones.
Also, bows are nowhere near obsolete in late game even in the current meta. They are still great for dealing with things like feral predators, for one.

didnā€™t read the whole thread, after a bit of testing I donā€™t think bows are OP, especially with heavy armored mobs

itā€™s impossible to kill easily a skeljug with a crappy bow and shitty arrows. you need at least 15 carbon arrows and some good hits

i find low difference between a compount (high) and composite bow, with the latter having the malus of requiring 12 str instead of 11 of the previus

Were you testing in 0.E or in latest experimental?

In 0.E bows were effectively rendering all melee weapons obsolete. Right now they are just somewhat underpowered. Or, to be more precise, they are great vs some enemies, and really bad vs other enemies. This isnā€™t ā€œthe other extremeā€, this is ā€œdemoted to being a highly situationalā€.

Iā€™m not getting it, how does having moderately strong bows make melee weapons underpowered or obsolete?Do you remember that bows cannot make enemies bleed/stun them/push them away, they require ammo, they require aiming which takes a lot of time and you donā€™t have time when a horde is approaching you.

Even with 6.50 spawn density, tons of mods on and wander hordes i always use melee weapons or spells from Magiclysm to clear hordes, i would never use a bow or a gun to do that, anyone can confirm this so this logic of yours regarding ā€œobsoleting melee weapons due to bows getting moderately stronger than their current stateā€ is clearly wrong

And I humbly suggest you come to terms with the fact that bows rendering melee weapons obsolete (and thatā€™s exactly what happens if they are effective against well-armored targets) is highly undesirable.

Thatā€™s not what happens like iā€™ve already tried to prove to you.Bit offtopic i see where this is going, letā€™s try not to play the ā€œholier than thouā€ game, iā€™m only trying to be helpful and make sure everyone is having as much fun without ruining the realism

Says who?

Based on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJlHPalk88 and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYsr81y0Aeo and some common sense, end-game bows along with modern and/or sophisticated crafted metal arrows can and should pierce even such dangerous mobs, crossbows are even stronger so iā€™m not even gonna argue with you about these

And instead you are pushing for a situations where all melee weapons will be obsolete all of the time once you get archery (3) and a few bones.

First of all, that is not the case like iā€™ve already said in a very convincing manner, second, the problem is in that bow and arrows used, not archery in general, but what we have right now is lack of strength in basically all types of bows and arrows

I leave this to community and developers to decide who is more correct in this case

1 Like

the downloadable 0.E

I have to deal with windows defender before downloading the launcher and be back on the experimental :frowning:

I would say that 0.E level bows are overpowered. I recently had a situation where I got mobbed and surrounded on all sides by like 80 zombies after I crashed my bicycle. I mowed them all down with my Composite Bow.
If Iā€™d tried to do that with even an excellent melee weapon I would have run out of Stamina and been eaten.

(Then I went into a lab still wielding that bow, because it had superior performance to an M16)

Please describe an actual in-game situation where you would prefer to use a melee weapon over a 0.E composite bow. Who would you be facing, why melee would be preferable, etc?

Again, what enemy exactly you would prefer to bleed/stun/push in melee over just killing from 5 tiles away with a bow?
ā€œAmmo requirementsā€ for bows are completely a non-issue 99% of the time: you can craft effectively infinite ammo from sticks and scrap, and arrows are recoverable/reusable most of the time.
As for ā€œtime when horde is approaching youā€, Iā€™m sorry, but if you canā€™t keep safe distance from the horde when using bow, going into melee is either suicidal, or your armor is so good that the ā€œhordeā€ never posed any real threat in the first place.

Sounds like you prefer melee weapons in this case because enemies are not really a threat (even at point-blank), and you just use whatever takes the least buttons-pressing. That is, melee weapons are relegated to ā€œtrash mob sweepingā€.
(Which only seems to be such a time-consuming issue because you play with 6.5 spawn, by the way.)

Yeeea, except those videos ā€œproveā€ that the bows are somewhat effective against normal humans in armor. Not against undead monstrosities literally made mostly of bones.

Ok, in a bit Iā€™ll post an actual gameplay video of actual in-game field usage of these supposedly ā€œlacking in strengthā€ bows.

So do I. But we still need to present our arguments.

i think one problem for now is a lack of (edit:craftable) high end bows and arrows since the highest you can craft in terms of arrows and bolts are essentialy pieces of sharpened scrap gleued or duck taped to a shaft while you could make far superior arrows by actually forging them at a forge which the player should have all the capabilties to do so in game.

Secondly i feel that there is a lack of treuly redicules bows that would need treuly absurt strength requirement to use for all the crimes agains nature/walking power tools out there. The current greatbows seem kind of underwhelming to me with there mear 15 and 17 strength requirement. Give me MEGA-bows with 20 to 30+ strength requirements that make you into a walking siege weapon possibly requirering a new arrow/bolt type altogether since the weapons are so big. make it so that if i am a walking powertool do to my implants/horific mutations that i donā€™t use a crappy human or slightly superhuman bow no give me a proper bow that befits my strength and shoots essentially smaller javelins at great speed towards my enemies. something that is supposed to be the size of a young tree/spling that cannot be shoot indoors becease of how big it is.