Combine static and dynamic spawns

Have a static spawn at first, but have zombies get spawned dynamically. This will make the game get harder as the game progresses and you get stronger.

1. too much noise can spawn new zombies
  2. zombies attract zombies. so if you dont clear an area out new zombies spawn and it gets harder.
  3. zombies can spawn in the woods and move in a group (similiar the season 2 finale of walking dead).
  4. bees/ant hives should have a high spawn rate. so if you dont clear them more and more spawn and they move farther and farther out…
  5. groups of zombies can randomly spawn near your shelter. this will force you to secure your shelter early.
  6. once a town is cleared it can respawn zombies,but at first at a lower rate. the rate increases as more zombies come back. So nothing is every totally safe.
  7. need some way to keep zombies from randomly spawn inside a shelter.
  8. as you get stronger spawn rates increase.
  1. Instead it should spawn a crap load of zombies , i mean realistic amounts of zombies so that bigger towns are owerflowing with Zed’s and small villages have few Z’s in houses , and few in public areas (Grocery stores , police stations , offices…).

2. Why should a zombie attract others if he’s not making noise?

3. There are cabins in the woods , other than that there is no reason for a zombie to wander around a forest.

4. I think they already do , because as you move around an area where are Ant hills , you will see ants spawning all over the place.

5. Instead i think zombies should be way more attracted by noise , becasue nobody gives a shit when im ringing the bell in the church , they just keep wandering around the town.

6. Why shouldn’t anywhere be totally safe? You killed them all , it’s not like they would revive.

7. Probably impossible.

8. As you make more noise spawnrate increases.

Man , just use Dynamic spawn.

Dynamic spawn is annoying due to all those Zeds spawning out of hammerspace.

Currently, only Zombies are static spawn. Everything but zombies still uses Dynamic Spawn.

The 2 things I would like to see with the zombies:

1. More zombies in towns. By this, I mean a physically larger number of Zs. Once you double-tap them, they stay dead, but I’d like to see more of them in a town to start with.

2. Roaming hordes. They could arrive just off-map and move slowly from place to place. This could satisfy the “no place is ever really safe” suggestion, as there would always be the chance for a horde to appear on the horizon… Hordes could range from a handful of Zs to dozens and dozens…

A horde/wandering spawner mechanic has already been discussed and will probably happen.

It’d be more interesting if wildlife, zombies, and “science” were team flags, and they’d attack eachother. Zombies are made of dripping flesh, so if wildlife don’t like them now (wolves in particular), then maybe we could add giant vultures which drop fletching and go after zombies.

I really don’t like any of those ideas. Zombies shouldn’t just appear out of the air, I’m not against them being replenished, but there should be a mechanic which does it sensibly rather than then spawning out of thin air.

A proper zombie infection of an area would be better I think, some towns spawn with perhaps infected structures which will produce more zombies unless you burn them down, and the infestation could spread to nearby buildings and possibly other towns too.

It shouldn’t just be magic, if I clear a town it should stay cleared unless zombies come from somewhere else. And shelters shouldn’t magically spawn zombies, if you build near zombies have them attack but don’t just make an area dangerous simply because I’m in it.

[quote=“Jotun, post:6, topic:2087”][…]some towns spawn with perhaps infected structures which will produce more zombies unless you burn them down, and the infestation could spread to nearby buildings and possibly other towns too.
[…]
And shelters shouldn’t magically spawn zombies, […][/quote]

Hmm. I’m not sure how town buildings spawning zeds is that different than zeds magically spawning around one. Only difference is that instead of the town having X amount of population, there’s the Clown Building that has an inexhaustible supply of zeds. Oppose.

I agree that zeds popping out of nowhere isn’t always fun, though I’ve found 10 map-tiles from the nearest building is generally enough to ensure spawns are wilderness rather than zeds.

[quote=“KA101, post:7, topic:2087”][quote=“Jotun, post:6, topic:2087”][…]some towns spawn with perhaps infected structures which will produce more zombies unless you burn them down, and the infestation could spread to nearby buildings and possibly other towns too.
[…]
And shelters shouldn’t magically spawn zombies, […][/quote]

Hmm. I’m not sure how town buildings spawning zeds is that different than zeds magically spawning around one. Only difference is that instead of the town having X amount of population, there’s the Clown Building that has an inexhaustible supply of zeds. Oppose.

I agree that zeds popping out of nowhere isn’t always fun, though I’ve found 10 map-tiles from the nearest building is generally enough to ensure spawns are wilderness rather than zeds.[/quote]

It’s not ideal no, though you could modify it a bit. Have the building be infested with blobs, or zombie necromancers and be boarded up a lot or otherwise reinforced to make it hard to attack. You could also have it be perhaps an alternative to the church and the zombies are coming out of the undercroft or something.

Alternatively, fill towns with corpses, not zombies just dead and rotten corpses of people who died, then have the buildings make zombies around them bring corpses back to the building, and then they get reanimated. That way you get a building number of zombies (and perhaps zombies in the building have a chance to mutate into the special zombie types) but a plausible reason for it, and a way to stop it, either by killing everything or destroying the building. It doesn’t have to be inexhaustible either, just makes a bit more sense than zombies appearing from places you know are clear.

Just make a graveyard as an excuse for spawning more zombies.

I always liked dynamic spawn. it wasn’t realistic, but it was fun and gave a paranoid sense of being hunted that I have yet to find elsewhere

The current plans for difficulty increasing over time are to have a significantly larger number of zombies spawn a the start of the game, but none of them are specials. Then over time the zombies mutate into specials over time.

Also we’re definitely planning a roaming horde feature, though I’m hoping we can make that work as groups budding off from population centers rather than appearing out of nowhere. In this way, if you clear a certain area, and set up some means for detecting hordes, you can somewhat relax.

In the medium-term, we want to build out much larger population centers, and these would provide a source of these hordes as well as a much larger challenge for significantly advanced players.

the .6 daily build from july 4th and on seems to be harder. I died a bunch of times. I noticed alot more triffids, ants, etc… in the woods. I had trouble exploring far early cause I ran into tougher mobs blocking my paths.

how about more options for spawns? you can select whether you want vanilla zombies early or not? whether you want hordes and more randomized spawning? so people can select difficulty levels. When we add achievements and scoring, you can get more points for harder games.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:11, topic:2087”]The current plans for difficulty increasing over time are to have a significantly larger number of zombies spawn a the start of the game, but none of them are specials. Then over time the zombies mutate into specials over time.

Also we’re definitely planning a roaming horde feature, though I’m hoping we can make that work as groups budding off from population centers rather than appearing out of nowhere. In this way, if you clear a certain area, and set up some means for detecting hordes, you can somewhat relax.

In the medium-term, we want to build out much larger population centers, and these would provide a source of these hordes as well as a much larger challenge for significantly advanced players.[/quote]

Good. I approve :slight_smile: