Clayton's Firearm Project (Dead)

I will be true. So here is the list of what I have currently, spoilers to save space.

Name: Accuracy International Arctic Warfare
Caliber: .243 Winchester, 7.62x51mm NATO, .308 Winchester
Firemode(s): Single Shot
Action: Bolt Action
Overall Length: 46.5” 1180mm)
Barrel Length: 26.0” (660mm)
Weight: 3.5 kg (14.3 lbs)
Magazine Capacity: 10 rounds
Rate of Fire: Single Shot
Muzzle Velocity: 2790 ft/s (850 m/s)
Effective Range: 870 yd (800m) 
In-Game Description: “Used by public, police and military forces. Optimized for cold conditions”
Name: Bor Sniper Rifle
Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO
Overall Length: 40.9” (1038mm)
Barrel Length: 26.8” (680mm)
Weight: 6.1kg (13.45lbs)
Muzzle Velocity: 2854 ft/s (870 m/s)
Effective Range: 875yds (800m)
In-Game Description: “Nicknamed Alex after the lead designer. Made in Poland.”
Name: Dragunov Sniper Rifle SVD
Caliber: 7.62x54mmR
Firemode(s): Single Shot, Short Burst
Action: Gas-operated, rotating bolt
Overall Length: 48.2” (1225mm)
Barrel Length: 24.4” (620mm)
Weight: 4.30kg (9.48lbs)
Muzzle Velocity: 2723 ft/s (830 m/s)
In-Game Description: “Common Russian made sniper rifle, and the basis for many hunting rifles.”
Name: M21 Sniper Weapon System
Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO
Firemode(s): Single Shot, Semi-Automatic
Action: Gas-operated, rotating bolt
Overall Length: 44” (1118mm)
Barrel Length: 22” (560mm)
Weight: 5.27kg (11.6lbs)
Magazine Capacity: 5, 10, 20 round
Rate of Fire: Single Shot, Semi-Automatic
Muzzle Velocity: 2800 ft/s (853 m/s)
Effective Range: 900yd (822m)
In-Game Description: “The standard sniper rifle for the US in the Vietnam and Iraq Wars.”
Name: M24A1 Sniper Weapon System
Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO, .300 Winchester
Overall Length: 43” (1092mm)
Barrel Length: 24” (660.4mm)
Weight: 5.6 kg (12.32lbs)
Magazine Capacity: 5 rounds
Muzzle Velocity: 2580 ft/s (790 m/s)
Effective Range: 875 yd (800m)
In-Game Description: “The successor to the M21 SWS, used by police and military alike.”
Name: M40A3 Sniper Rifle
Caliber: 308 Winchester / 7.62 NATO
Overall Length: 44.25” (1124mm)
Barrel Length: 24” (610mm)
Weight: 7.5 kg (16.56 lb)
Magazine Capacity: 5 Rounds
Muzzle Velocity: 2550 ft/s (777 m/s)
Effective Range: 1000 yd (900m)
In-Game Description:  “The Marine approved bolt action sniper rifle.”  
Name: WKW Wilf
Caliber: .50 BMG
Action: Manually operated rotary bolt action
Overall Length: 53” (1350mm)
Barrel Length: 35” (880mm)
Weight: 16.1kg (35.5lbs)
Magazine Capacity: 7 rounds
Muzzle Velocity: 2895 ft/s (882 m/s)
Effective Range: 2187yds (2000m)
In-Game Description: “Polish made sniper rifle, commonly known as The Wolf.”
Name: XM2010 Enhanced Sniper Rifle
Caliber: .300 Winchester
Overall Length: 46.5” (1180mm)
Barrel Length: 24” (610mm)
Weight: 5.5 kg (12.1lbs)
Muzzle Velocity: 1850 ft/s (869 m/s)
Effective Range: 1300yds (1200m)
In-Game Description: “Made by the US in order to help them with their war efforts in Afghanistan.”
Name: Zastava M76
Caliber: 7.92x57mm Mauser
Action: Gas operated
Overall Length: 44.7” (1135mm)
Barrel Length: 22” (550mm)
Weight: 4.6kg (10lbs)
Rate of Fire: Single Shot, Short Burst
Muzzle Velocity: 2400 ft/s (730 m/s) 
In-Game Description: “Standard issue shaper shooter rifle for the Serbian Army.” 
Name: Zastava M91
Caliber: 7.62x54mmR
Action: Gas operated
Overall Length: 47.05” (1195mm)
Barrel Length: 24.41” (620mm)
Weight: 5.15kg (11.4lbs)
Rate of Fire: Single Shot, Shot Burst
Muzzle Velocity: 2592ft/s (790 m/s)
Effective Range: 1094yds (1000m)
In-Game Description: “Made in Serbia, used by Serbia, for Serbia.” 
Name: Zastava M93 Black Arrow DSHK
Caliber: 12.7x108mm, .50 BMG
Action: Bolt action, Rotating bolt
Overall Length: 65.75” (1670mm)
Barrel Length: 40” (1000mm)
Weight: 16 kg (35.27lbs)
Muzzle Velocity: 2691 ft/s (820 m/s)
Effective Range: 1969yds (1800m)
In-Game Description: “Sniper rifle of choice for many South East European countries, including Serbia.”

Clayton, I would like to help you with this project. I like guns very much, and actually have a lot of knowledge about them. :slight_smile:

(EDIT: Sorry that I bumped this thread, but I wanted to offer help, and I didn’t see him on the IRC channel. :))

(EDIT2: I would like to take over Shotguns and Pistols. As in, work on both.)

i would like to help just give me a list and i can do it on my free time.

Anyone interested in putting in an Aliens style Smartgun? It would need high mechanics/electronics skill to build but would effectively be a gun that aimed for you, giving a massive accuracy increase and basically no recoil since it’s mounted on a servo arm.

If we believe this website http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/M56_Smartgun

the fire rate is 1200 rounds per minute and it holds 600 rounds.

Going by the movie it needs battery power to function.

Sorry for anyone who was interesting, but this project is being abandoned. Too many people were disagreeing with the thought of more weapons in the game, and I didn’t want to make it a mod, so there you are lol.

Can I ask why you’re against making it a mod?

Is that difficult to do?

It could be nice to have the option to apply optional mods to spice things up.

Eh, if I were to release it as a mod I’d probably fail to keep it up to date.

So there’s no way to make a mod that wouldn’t need updating?

Like just making the basic values for the weapons and letting whatever version of the game do with them whatever it wants to.

I don’t know much about how the game handles such things.

Basicly if changes are made to the ranged system he would have to update it. Every update made he would have to re-integrate his mod to the according files.
But it looks like this mod wouldnt be merged with the main version of the game for various reasons (im not aware of wich ones) so he’s dropping it. A problem would be if this mod isnt merged with the main build, people wont make graphical representations of it (tilesets) wich are comming very soon ;).
But still you should try to maintain this mod and make some adjustments so that maybe the mod would get merged.
Just my 2 cents Clayton

Honestly, I never planned on making this a mod. From the start I was aiming towards it being contributed towards the main branch. Some people liked the idea, some didn’t on account of there being “too many firearms already”.

After the firearm system overhaul gets implemented, I’ll look in to releasing all the work I’ve done as a mod or see if I can make the weapons different enough (stats and function wise) to get merged.

Honestly I don’t see how there can be “too many firearms”. Someone needs to just put an option in game that says “lots of guns”, that when activated puts all your stuff in there.

Anyone who doesn’t want more guns can deactivate it. I’ve seen other games do this.

The future plan for handling mods (if the particular author is interested of course) is to merge the code into the main repository to handle issues where the code gets out of sync (which yes, is a huge problem), and have a “mod manager” system in place where people can activate/deactivate different content or groups of content at will.

If you add 100 new guns, yea, we’d only have a subset of them activated by default, but it’d be a simple options change to activate them all for people who want every gun under the sun in their game.

The manager is the next thing on GalenEvil’s list of things to do after tile support is in, so work on that will start in a week or two, and if I rememeber correctly was estimated to take a few weeks, so say in a month we should have a system in place for it, at which point there should be no problem with merging as many guns as you want to cram into JSON.

BTW, any plan to make the drop rate accessible in JSON? AFAIK, right now, you can make new items, but you need to compile if you want them to spawn. Just moving everything to JSON would make making mod easier (Of course, you still have the problem of a rapidly updating game, and translation wouldn’t get done.)

Maybe make it so we have in game choice for some stuff, but still move the drop rate to JSON so we can have quick 'n dirty mod if we want?

Although I should clarify that the goal of the manager is not not require anything to be merged in order to run a mod - the vast majority of mods should simply be “drop this folder into your cataclysm directory, choose to use my mod name when running the game, and everything should work perfectly!”

All drops are defined in data/raw/item_groups.json, and have been since before 0.7

Oh, my bad, I remembered that you still needed to edit the source code to have your items spawn in game. Glad you proved me wrong.

I like the new guns. I just wanted to limit the types of ammo. there is a point where too much is a bit of a hassle. adding new guns is fun.