CDDA Design Philosophy?

I am sure someone will mod the ‘old school bionics’ not long after its nerfed for those of you upset about that. Bionics is more mid to late game. By then the game isn’t really hard… you generally have alot of good weapons and skills. I wouldn’t worry about it. ITs the early game thats really hard. For later game, I generally radically jack up the zombie numbers and move to make them spawn. Cause regular spawns arent that hard.

early game is when it can be tricky.

for cars more spawns of things with explosive weapons. Especially human type characters that can move would weaken cars alot. If you have a good car, you get more of these types of spawns.

Would be cool if there were bandits driving cars taking attacking you, but then this would make the game Car Wars and not CDDA

Monster evolution helps with that a bit, I just don’t like the fat zombie’s upgrade. Corrosive zombie? That thing is devastating until you get a survivor wetsuit. Pretty sure there is a mod to remove them though.

Hello Granade .
Dose CBM get nerfed later?
Cause those funtion seems weird and overpowered.
If u want to charge so many power that means you need carry so many batteries.
that was big encumbrance for me(in my real life).

but cbm can make u a human battery and not add any weight.

There is some nerfing of cybernetics in the form of limiting how many types of CBMs you can put in certain parts of your body in the experimental versions. Torso, head, arms, and legs have their own individual maximum number of CBMs that can be put in them.

including power storage?

It would seem that that is not the case, at least not in my version.

Currently no, but it will most likely change, since infinite power would render the whole limitation meaningless.

The limits aren’t enforced yet and probably won’t be until the system is implemented.

Currently no, but it will most likely change, since infinite power would render the whole limitation meaningless.

The limits aren’t enforced yet and probably won’t be until the system is implemented.[/quote]

Once it IS implemented, it should be also be possible to power up your bionics from external sources as well - that’s one thing the military, in particular, would absolutely demand.

I have literally never played with mutations or bionics in the 2-3 years I’ve been playing DDA. Just doesn’t interest me in the least. I’m glad they can be ignored without disrupting any of the core game, though.

I would truly love flatbed trucks we could drive lets say a quad bike onto.
But you know this already lol ive said it and harassed you all enough for this feature :).

Any way awesome work cant wait to see what becomes of cdda.

So if I don’t enjoy crushing nerfs to everything fun, there’s no reason to update anymore. I’ve heard squat about any sort of interesting content additions lately, just breathless talk about how many more extra steps and tedium and nerfs are about to be added.

Glad I still have my late 2015 experimental.

Well, there’s new content all the time - that’s the good part. The announcement thread for additions to experimental only ever mentions a fraction of things that are new or changed. But unfortunatley, IMO, the application of “selective realism” in a game loaded with unrealistic and nicely game-ified elements is making some elements of the game less enjoyable for no real gain or purpose. My guess is random dev decides they want to code something, maybe it suits how they play, and it gets inflicted on everyone with no real oversight or thought about the big picture. But whatever. It’s such a great game that it’s a bummer to see selective realism trump good gameplay. Pushing towards realism when it works is a good thing. Overdoing it and only having it apply here and there - not so good IMO.

Still, IMO the game as a whole just gets better and better with time, even with the “nerfs” and less enjoyable applications of selective realism that take away from smooth gameplay.

Ex, yeah, it was unrealistic that we could build super vehicles without having a full autoshop, boom crane, and wtf-ever. But is it any more unrealistic that someone who knows nothing about vehicles can just read books or scrap cars and gain the knowledge to build super vehicles with duct tape and a screwdriver to begin with? Why screw with a perfectly good and fun game mechanic to make one part of it more realistic when the entire system is unrealistic. All it does is add hassle for no good reason. This is the kind of decision/addition I’m not liking lately.

Clips for weapons is another - you don’t see this in many games - it adds nothing but hassle - and all of the rest of combat is extremely superficial and abstracted (melee styles automatic, defensive actions like blocking automatic, just nudge into zombie to attack, just point and click for range - it’s all very abstract and works perfectly for the game - making clips so granular goes against the normal abstraction and just makes guns a pain in the backside).

/shrug

I kinda gave up on playing when the lifting equipment made the simple act of dealing with tires a monumental pain in the backside but the game is so good that it still pulls me and calls to me - I’m sure I’ll be back and suffering thru the BS eventually, to enjoy the parts that haven’t been made to be miserable yet.

One could hope that since it is an experimental branch that some experiments might be considered failures and get removed but that doesn’t seem to happen. Full speed ahead with whatever gets jammed in there.

You can always suggest fixes.

It works like this:

1. If there is a problem and someone gets a partial solution to it that has its faults but still fixes the problem, it will most likely get in.
  2. If there is no other suggestion on how to fix the problem, the faults are more likely to get overlooked in favor of the only known solution.
  3. If there is no feedback on how to improve the feature (other than “roll back everything, I don’t like it”), then go back to point 1.
  4. If there is a feasible solution to the problem that isn’t just “roll back everything”, it has a high chance of getting implemented.

For experimental stuff, there usually are mods to disable them.
There is a mod to disable magazines.
There is a mod to disable engine faults.
There is a mod to disable vitamins, even though they aren’t even implemented.
A mod to disable cranes and jacks could be added too.

tl;dr Constructive criticism influences development much, much more than complaining

[quote=“Thwap, post:32, topic:11719”]So if I don’t enjoy crushing nerfs to everything fun, there’s no reason to update anymore. I’ve heard squat about any sort of interesting content additions lately, just breathless talk about how many more extra steps and tedium and nerfs are about to be added.

Glad I still have my late 2015 experimental.[/quote]

The only thing I’ve really had any complaints about recently is the vitamin system, and I’m willing to give the devs some time to work that one out - they’ve worked out most everything else to be an improvement.

Tailoring? Yeah, I like the changes there. It uses more thread, and it requires more skill, but neither of those is a bad thing, IMO.

Magazines? Yeah, there were DEFINITELY some growing pains there, but it’s in pretty good shape now. MOST guns come with a magazine, at which point, it can work just like the old system (for all practical purposes). Getting more than one mag for the same gun actually makes reloading in combat feasible, and the occasional fun that comes with no magazine… well, that should actually happen (occasionally).

The new jack system? I haven’t messed with it yet, but everything I’m hearing on the boards about it sounds like some mid-level growing pains towards a system that works and isn’t really any worse than we have now (currently, you have to find a jack, and they are rare… or MAKE one, and that’s so far up the skill/equipment tree that I’ve only ever done it once), and adds some nice leveling to the “make a giant death mobile” system we have now.

I’m not sure what else you might be complaining about, but, as has been pointed out, most of the worst offenders have mods to turn them off, anyway. Seriously, get a grip.