Cataclysm PSA #1 : Turret Changes in build 9503

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

1 Like

Cataclysm Quick Tip #61 - Map Auto Notes

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

1 Like

Huh. I’ve been playing with some very recent experimental updates and the turrets in labs still use lights and behave as they did previously - was this already reverted?

Honestly the version you show in the video looks a fair bit easier for most survivors to deal with, though a lab start with no vision bonuses or gear would be in significant danger, at least until they get used to peeking around every corner/door with a flashlight - which, you know, kind of makes sense in a lab crawling with random horrors from another dimension.

The milspecs are clearly a lot more dangerous with R30, but that’s fine for a later game challenge.

The change occured in build #9503 as noted in the video. You’re playing builds earlier than that if they still provide light (might be some cross-over if your updating a game in progress as it has to keep the old and new that have already been generated).

They have since been updated again in Build # 9577. They still do not provide any light and have 4 night vision range but they fire heavier caliber rounds (no more 9mm turrets), have 1600 rounds of ammo, and the lowest level one fires 30 spaces now.

30 range on the basic ones? Well, that’ll make them incredibly dangerous to anyone wandering around with a light on, as that will allow them to see you from much further away than you can spot them in the dark.

They’ll be pretty easy pickings for anyone with light amp goggles, as long as its dark, but during the day you’ll either need to break out a pretty long range rifle or find a nearby sheltered corner you can throw from to take them out.

What’s the caliber on the small ones now? .38? .223? Either way you’re going to have to be pretty heavily armored to take more than a couple hits from them.

.556 for the low end turret (M249) and .50 for the big one (M2 Browning).

Oh, they also have a 200 point delay for target acquisition and give a warning beep in the sidebar log.

Ooh, even the little low end defense turrets come with .556? That’s deeply unpleasant.

Really glad they’re adding the beep warning then.

My game is pretty much up to date, so I’m guessing I’m not seeing them because the regions I’m playing in were mostly generated a week or more ago.

O.O
This seems…unbalanced.

I assume that you don’t get to pick up 1600 rounds if you kill one. I hope. That would be absurd.

Well…you’d be correct. Apparently you get exactly 0 rounds if you destroy the turret. Deactivating gave 100 rounds. Tested the 5.56 turret.

edit: Herp Derp, ignore all this bullshit, I had mods enabled.

I have no idea how your testing Malkeus.

The .50 caliber is dropping 400 rounds when destroyed or deactivated and the .556 is dropping 1600 rounds when destroyed or deactivated. Tested on builds #9577 and #9586.

Yes, it’s pretty ridiculous given the changes make very little difference in the tactical difficulty of dealing these turrets. Kill one of the .556 (Mil-spec) and your now swimming in 40 pounds of ammo.

I tested on build 9579. I spawned in one hostile and one friendly turret of the 5.56 variety. I punched the hostile one to death and deactivated the friendly one. Maybe naturally spawned ones are different?

edit: I know what happened. Forgot to switch to my vanilla world. I think it’s time to reevaluate all my mods again.

Yeah, 1600 rounds is kind of silly for a single turret.

A turret with 20 rounds is almost exactly as dangerous to the player for all practical purposes. One with 1600 rounds will just be making ‘brraaaappp’ noises for days off in the distance as zombies assault it endlessly and get mowed down, or will be knocked out by a couple long range rounds from the player and become a source of nigh-infinite ammo.

1 Like

Cataclysm Quick Tip #62 - Dodge Training Boomer Style
<aka, how to train dodge to 11 quickly and easily>

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

4 Likes

Cataclysm Quick Slip #30 - The Hitcher (Starring: The Predator)

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

Cataclysm Quick Slip #31- Bad News Beavers!

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

Cataclysm Quick Tip #63 - Boxes and Boards

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

Cataclysm Quick Tip #64 - Full Moon + Clear Sky = Easy Loot

For folks that already know the basic advantages make sure to watch anyway if you are not aware of the ‘Look at Sky’ option.

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

3 Likes

Cataclysm Tactics #1 - Slow Walk to Survival

In this series Vormithrax provides examples of tactical situations from his live-stream games that provide interesting/entertaining challenges and hopefully educate newer players regarding mechanics/tactics/options they might not otherwise learn about.

FAIR WARNING! THE ACTION TO TALK RATIO CAN BE VERY LOW IN THESE EXAMPLES. VORM DOES A LOT OF PONDERING OR EXPLAINING AND THERE MAY BE 30 MINUTES OF TALKING FOR 5 SECONDS OF ‘ACTION’.

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

1 Like

Cataclysm Quick Tip #65 - Placing a Danger Symbol

Stay Safe Out There!

Vormithrax

1 Like