Cataclysm instantly hangs 0.B stable

O.B stable
SDL
Windows Xp

CataclysmSDL/Tiles just instantly craps out on me. I click to start it up and it displays it for about a second, then closes out.
Will add the bug message soon. Until then, anyone know how to fix this or is having a similar problem?

I have similar problem
Stable Release for Windows
ver. 0.B
Windows Xp

Note from debug:

10:22:52.693 : Starting log.
10:23:0.93 SDL : src/sdltiles.cpp:317: Failed to select render target: That operation is not supported
10:23:0.103 : initscr failed!
10:23:0.194 : Log shutdown.

@down
no problems on windows 7 i use same .zip on my laptop

It has something to do with SDL2 lib. Probably because newest SDL2 uses something not supported by <=XP. Seems like XP uses different system of drawing.

Go to the config folder that was created the first time you tried to run the game and set software rendering to true.

Software rendering should probably be true by default. People can set it back to false when they want to bring their graphics card into the picture and make those ASCII symbols and simple tiles look… uh… exactly the same.

I change software rendering to true and it solve my problem:)

Thanks Thwap

That strange, i have win XP 32 bit and 0.B/Tiles running without problem with software rendering=false.

Turning software rendering on solved my problem! Much thanks to you Thwap :smiley:

Glad I could help!

And as far as I can tell the issue has to do with video hardware rather than the OS.

Having a similar problem, except on Windows 7 64 bit. Changing software render to true does nothing, and from what I can tell, the debug log is empty. It simply hangs and pops up with a message that it’s stopped working. Tested with both the stable and one of the experimental builds. Can still run 0.A tiles just fine, as well as 0.B Curses, but 0.B tiles simply doesn’t work.

I have Win 7 64 bit, and it all works fine, so… What is your GFX card?

It’s a Radeon 6850

It may be an issue caused by whatever sound/music stuff was added to the 0.B SDL, though I already reinstalled my most recent audio drivers. (Realtek)