Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.A Kaufman released

Are you running any sort of virus blocker? It’s possible they might be getting a false positive for some strange reason and deleting it.

That said it’s a self contained game, so there should be no problems with past versions.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:61, topic:5262”]Are you running any sort of virus blocker? It’s possible they might be getting a false positive for some strange reason and deleting it.

That said it’s a self contained game, so there should be no problems with past versions.[/quote]

Well, I looked in my hard drive and found the zip folder, unzipped it and got at the 0.A folder, but now I have no idea how to actually run the game.

There’s options for “Cataclysm” and “Cataclysm Launcher”, which I figured were my best bet but clicking on “cataclysm” does this:

and clicking Cataclysm Launcher does this:

…am I doing something wrong?

XD lol, killing zombies with umbrellas

[quote=“IcedPee, post:62, topic:5262”][quote=“i2amroy, post:61, topic:5262”]Are you running any sort of virus blocker? It’s possible they might be getting a false positive for some strange reason and deleting it.

That said it’s a self contained game, so there should be no problems with past versions.[/quote]
-snip-[/quote]
Ah mac, that’s a different known problem (it has to do with some linux/mac differences IIRC). IIRC you can either just open the terminal, then use the ‘cd’ command to move to the proper cataclysm folder and then do ‘./cataclysm’, or you can use the nifty script which should work from this post:

[quote=“nikola, post:51, topic:5262”]mac version uses start script with readlink -f which does not behave similarly as in linux

thus the game does not start

nikola

ps here i have patched together a quick and dirty starter for myself
http://pastebin.com/BGWe3Cw8
but i am no programmer[/quote]

[quote=“i2amroy, post:64, topic:5262”][quote=“IcedPee, post:62, topic:5262”][quote=“i2amroy, post:61, topic:5262”]Are you running any sort of virus blocker? It’s possible they might be getting a false positive for some strange reason and deleting it.

-snip-[/quote]
Ah mac, that’s a different known problem (it has to do with some linux/mac differences IIRC). IIRC you can either just open the terminal, then use the ‘cd’ command to move to the proper cataclysm folder and then do ‘./cataclysm’, or you can use the nifty script which should work from this post:

[quote=“nikola, post:51, topic:5262”]mac version uses start script with readlink -f which does not behave similarly as in linux

thus the game does not start

nikola

ps here i have patched together a quick and dirty starter for myself
http://pastebin.com/BGWe3Cw8
but i am no programmer[/quote][/quote]

No offense, but everything about your post confuses me. The terminal won’t let me type commands or move folders, it just wants me to press spacebar until it closes itself, and I have no idea where to paste that data in the link to make it work… I’m computer-challenged compared to most people here, apparently. Any chance that somebody could make a step by step guide to do either one of these things?

Steps:

1. Open up the terminal manually (i.e., go to search and type in “terminal” and open it)
  2. Navigate your way to the inside of the cataclysm folder. ‘cd foldername’ will switch folders, ‘ls’ [lowercase L] will show all items currently in a folder. The starting folder will be your home folder, i.e. the one with your username on it and a picture of a house.
  3. Once you are inside of the cataclysm folder type in ‘./cataclysm’

The game should start just fine.

(This is can be easier depending on the location of the cataclysm folder, if you place the folder in your home directory you only have to do ‘cd catafoldername’ followed by ‘./cataclysm’, without going through any intervening folders first.

Many thanks to everyone that put forth effort to make this release. I am excited to give it a try! Does the new map loading code make it more feasible to explore and Magen a huge amount of land with fewer issues? Something I always wanted to do.

Yes, it does.

Regarding the map files. While it’s quite fun to have quite short loading and saving times, it’s a killer for hard disks.

Last time I’ve had a game with THAT many files (after a while), was “Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear”.

Maybe it’s possible to put them all together in a single file? Not compressed, just saved.

[quote=“prytoclasm, post:69, topic:5262”]Regarding the map files. While it’s quite fun to have quite short loading and saving times, it’s a killer for hard disks.

Last time I’ve had a game with THAT many files (after a while), was “Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear”.

Maybe it’s possible to put them all together in a single file? Not compressed, just saved.[/quote]
What do you mean? The many tiny files take approximately the same space as they would if they were in a single large file, the only difference should be saving/loading times (unless for some reason you are using a hard drive as RAM, then it might have a small effect depending on your fragmentation).

There are circumstances in which many small files are a very bad idea, for instance on hard drives using certain encryptions.

That’s the most great shit i ever seen.

After taking a while for switch RU to EN (i would do that anyway) and some time to see what new, i generated new world and a character and spawner in a bunker. So, i went to underfloor, opened door there and… 3 DOGS WERE IN THE UNDERGROUND ROOM. And they killed me. Just… OMG.

BTW, i haven’t had “Surronded start” turned on.

I’m glad to see another release, thank you for the work guys!

Do you mind if I ask when you are going to gather the list for future NPCs from Kickstarer Rewards? I am kinda afraid I missed it already :).

Possible (?) bug here, was the targeting code redone during the monster/player merge? I ask because I was hit 21 times in the torso, once in the head, and once in the right leg before I died. Grumble-grumble-stupid-shelters-adjacent-to-zombie-hordes

^ +1 for him. I also noticed that tendency too. I was attacked in r. leg for a lot times, while having other parts almost undamaged.

These two examples just go to show that it’s random. :stuck_out_tongue: Targeting is done on a completely random selection basis, though it’s adjusted for monster size (so small monsters hit your legs more often)

I feel surrounded start should give you at least an item to fend off the zombies cause it would almost always mean your death if you don’t just book-it

i mean its a zombie apocalypse man. sometimes ya gotta book it

Is there an exact list of the new monsters and mutations anywhere? One that lists all of them.