Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.A Kaufman released

[quote=“WCG, post:40, topic:5262”]Do I have to start a new game with this version, or can I just transfer my save-game folder? Or do you know?

Thanks![/quote]
You should just be able to transfer the save file over and it should work fine, though most new things won’t start showing up until you reach new areas of the map (note, you may have problems with very old saves from prior to .9, but I don’t think so).

That said I’d still probably save a backup copy somewhere in case things go horribly wrong.

Techno-new here:

Downloaded the mac curses (what does no localizations mean btw?)… How do I get the game to work from the folder that unzipped?

No localizations means that the game only supports english, not any other translations.

As for running it you should be able to just double click on the “cataclysm” file and it should run (you may need to change the default size settings for your terminal first). If anything is popping up that is preventing that I highly suggest you post it into the Garage forums board, where we should hopefully be able to fix it fairly rapidly. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the release! Could someone please tell me about main course of development for the next release? Like “0.A was aimed for bug tracking and groundwork for future updates. 0.B would be mostly concentrated on NPC’S/Z-hordes/map improvement/Z-levels/etc.” Thanks in advance.

Expect NPC reworking/map improvement/Z-levels sometime after the heat death of the universe.

Have you taken into account the possibility of a Poincare Recurrence?

If not perhaps the universe will redo itself before Npcs happen and we will be trapped into a loop of forever developing cataclysm:DDA

Sounds good to me. This constant development is getting stuff done, and I love it. I don’t really have anything big to say here, except a ‘thank you’ to the devs. I’ve sunk probably a couple hundred hours of my life into this game at this point, and while I do occasionally vomit ideas onto the forum, I know that it’s you guys that make this whole thing possible, and I really appreciate it.

Tell you what; since the Kickstarter kind of fell flat, take the $10 I put in and pocket it yourself. That sounds fair. When I win the lottery or mug a rich guy, I’ll send you the rest of what I owe you for the days of entertainment.

I don’t think we are in the same page here. Wasn’t really complaining or anything, I more or less made a (bad) joke about what Inadequate said.

Our next “goals” are NPC’s and z-levels, yes, but as a volunteer, open-source game we are sadly very much dependent on the various whims of those who decide to contribute to the game. Everyone decides to buckle down and work on NPC’s and Z-levels? We might have them in a few weeks. Nobody works on them? It might not happen for several months. It’s one of the reasons why we are always looking for more devs; more people working means that there is a greater chance one of them will want to put in the time and effort required for a big goal.

That said IIRC GlyphGryph is still working on getting a Bounty system set up with the remaining kickstarter funds, which will reward certain goals with money and encourage development more in the direction that we want.

Actually, I’m specifically waiting on the requirements for the priority issues to set bounties for. Other than that I’m good to go. Too the dev forum to post a reminder of that!

(The nice thing is that the longer we wait, the more money we can dedicate to whichever task proves to be the really sticky one cough z-levels cough so I’m not rushing things along)

mac version uses start script with readlink -f which does not behave similarly as in linux

thus the game does not start

nikola

ps here i have patched together a quick and dirty starter for myself
http://pastebin.com/BGWe3Cw8
but i am no programmer

Yeah, so was I. I wasn’t trying to be a dick to you either.
I WAS trying to be a dick to that other guy who actually did complain.
Fuck that guy.

oh yeahh!, it is finally here, the next stable release!, sweet im gonna share this with my friends, btw what does the A stand for in 0.A?

It stands for the first letter of the alphabet

i suppose… that is true, but why was it mixed into the version number? Cdda has always been like… 0.4, 0.5, 0,6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9

Because people expect a huge release for the 1.0 release and a lot of people who are t developers get confused when they see .10, so we went with letters next. (Of course really it all comes down to Kevin coming up with the idea and us all supporting it :P).

i suppose… that is true, but why was it mixed into the version number? Cdda has always been like… 0.4, 0.5, 0,6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9[/quote]

We are follows of our lord and saviour Helix and his official numbering system, Hexidecimal. In that system, the number A comes after 9, followed be B, C, D, E, F, and then 10.

do we have any estimates for when 1.0 will be coming out? months?, or is it not estimatable…? (if thats even a word)

I believe 1.0 will probably end up being the version with working Z-levels, though I’m not sure on that. As such it will probably end up being the first stable release after they are working well, whenever that happens (which could be a month from now, 6 months from now, or longer, depending on the whims of the developers that month, though I think the soon to come bounty system should help speed it up a bit).

Erm, I dunno if this is a problem with the Mac curses or my computer, but when I try to download the curses, the file disappears from my computer immediately as it finishes downloading. Do I have to delete my current version, or something…?