Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.A Kaufman released

[quote=“wvmmhxkh”]you know, guys, i see one release after another, you keep adding trivial bullshit and refactoring code, but there is still no dreamlands.

are you gonna actually add dreamlands, or not? if not, why do we still have portals. if yes, how much longer are you gonna spend on bullshit?[/quote]

1. I have no idea what you mean when you say “dreamlands”. If you are referring to working dreams then the idea has been kicked around but is nowhere near the current dev priority list (and also has absolutely nothing to do with portals). If you are referring to working portals then that is still very far away. Right now the big focus for larger projects is on getting NPC’s working, and after that z-levels. Until those things are accomplished portals are almost certainly going to be on hold (though you are always free to code it yourself and PR it in, assuming your implementation is good then there is a very good chance something like that would be merged).

2. It’s not bullshit. If you bothered to read the patch notes you would notice that there is a rather large amount of behind the scenes stuff there, most of which is very important for working towards our next big goal (NPC’s). That, along with improving the mod manager and getting map loading/saving to work more smoothly were some of the big things in the release. These are very important to the game and as such have a focus for now.

[quote=“Tawarochir, post:18, topic:5262”]What the heck? My executable isn’t working!

(I’m on Linux, for the record.)

EDIT: I’m getting something about how I don’t have the file or directory for the shared libraries.[/quote]

you need 32 bit lua v 51 installed. on Debian/Ubuntu this is provided by the package liblua5.1-0:i386 (if you are running 64-bit linux, otherwise just install liblua5.1-0)

[quote=“i2amroy, post:21, topic:5262”][quote=“wvmmhxkh”]you know, guys, i see one release after another, you keep adding trivial bullshit and refactoring code, but there is still no dreamlands.

are you gonna actually add dreamlands, or not? if not, why do we still have portals. if yes, how much longer are you gonna spend on bullshit?[/quote]

1. I have no idea what you mean when you say “dreamlands”. If you are referring to working dreams then the idea has been kicked around but is nowhere near the current dev priority list (and also has absolutely nothing to do with portals). If you are referring to working portals then that is still very far away. Right now the big focus for larger projects is on getting NPC’s working, and after that z-levels. Until those things are accomplished portals are almost certainly going to be on hold (though you are always free to code it yourself and PR it in, assuming your implementation is good then there is a very good chance something like that would be merged).

2. It’s not bullshit. If you bothered to read the patch notes you would notice that there is a rather large amount of behind the scenes stuff there, most of which is very important for working towards our next big goal (NPC’s). That, along with improving the mod manager and getting map loading/saving to work more smoothly were some of the big things in the release. These are very important to the game and as such have a focus for now.[/quote]

I think by dreamlands he means the nether, which, is another thing they call it in the lovecraft universe (I think?)

2. It’s not bullshit. If you bothered to read the patch notes you would notice that there is a rather large amount of behind the scenes stuff there, most of which is very important for working towards our next big goal (NPC’s). That, along with improving the mod manager and getting map loading/saving to work more smoothly were some of the big things in the release. These are very important to the game and as such have a focus for now.[/quote]
    I think by dreamlands he means the nether, which, is another thing they call it in the lovecraft universe (I think?)
    [/quote]

I was actually quite curious as to how things are going with the NPCs as i couldn’t find anything on the forums about progress on them, id love links to anything along those lines or just a general where things stand if ya can please mates <3
Also i noticed in the patch notes it said fridges/minis are now working, im assuming they preserve foods longer now but my question is how much more so does it preserver then before “assuming they did anything before, i stored my food in it via habbit”
Generally keep up the good work mates, its a pleasure reading the experimental notes as new updates come in daily to the game though there are times where i wish that the changes were described in more detail without me having to rummage through the jsons which i would mostly get lost in :stuck_out_tongue:

Big THANKS to everyone who was involved in this, I just wish I have more free time nowadays to actually sit down and play a decent season.

Thanks Kevin Granade for the dynamic submap loading and various behind-the-scene improvements, as well as project governing.
Thanks KA101 for his awesome mutation additions. As a mutant-wannabe I’m very happy with these new mutations.
Thanks Rivet the Zombie for her tireless content contributions, gun maintenance and many others.
Thanks BevapDin for his mod manager, open up new possibility for CDDA and many bug fixes!
Thanks illi-kun for his many UI improvements.

And finally, thanks to many other developers and contributors that I forgot to mention. I’m not sure if GlyphGryph is still around but thank you for this forum, so I can actually make this post.

Concerning my problem, it work now after deleting all language .mo file (without mine) if it could help some other people.
Thanks for perpetual updating of this game, it’s really pretty nice! Stay proud, devs, you rocks ! :slight_smile:

Why is this still not on the news page? lol

To get english on a system configured for another language, I believe you can do:
LC_MESSAGES=en_EN ./cataclysm
to launch the game. This might be different on windows, but the concept is the same.
No post on the website because I can’t get the credentials GlyphGryph gave me to work there :confused:

[quote=“AerialK7, post:23, topic:5262”][quote=“i2amroy, post:21, topic:5262”][quote=“wvmmhxkh”]you know, guys, i see one release after another, you keep adding trivial bullshit and refactoring code, but there is still no dreamlands.

I think by dreamlands he means the nether, which, is another thing they call it in the lovecraft universe (I think?)[/quote]

The dreamlands is indeed part of the Lovecraft universe (the mythos). But it is more a strange alternative dark world that can be explored in an explorer fashion, and less a ‘omg my friend looked at it and went insane’ place. Not a great fit imho, not a cataclysmic place, just a weird place.

It is where Lovecraft went weird. Imho.

Edit: put the release on the wiki. Still need links to the translated versions. If you have them. Either edit the wiki, or pm me or something.

[quote=“wvmmhxkh”]dunno what you guys redone in regards of sawing, but turns are slower now, saving/loading is slower, game generally runs worse

also it was a really bad idea to turn off acid rain puddles, cause now if you live in one place by the summer you will be walking carped of opossum/wolf/zomber bodies, which navigating around it quite hard. there ought to be rotting mechanic or puddles must return. hope you guys will see the light in this regard.[/quote]

Try butchering the corpses. I’ve noticed that meat and fat decays away in the world. You will have to stack bone, sinew, and fur.

Yeah I’dl like a function that made clothing placed outside decay over time. I often play with big cities and settle down on a fortified house, and having all those piles of casings/clothes around forever gets somewhat annoying.

Clothing and corpse/corpse part decay outside probably wouldn’t be too difficult to add, and is definitely something that’s worth looking into.

Are you using Tiles instead of Curses (or vice versa?). Are you running an experimental that you compiled without -03? Other then that I’m not sure what to tell you, I can confirm that everything we’ve done causes drastic speedups in many places without any slowdowns, so whatever you are suffering from isn’t a result of something we’ve done.

Clothing and corpse/corpse part decay outside probably wouldn’t be too difficult to add, and is definitely something that’s worth looking into.[/quote]
Would be nice if scavengers (like crows and other, new, critters) could seek out this stuff and run off with it too, piece by piece.

Cool. Thanks to everyone who worked in this new version.

That would be awesome.

I am greatly looking forward to there being Z levels, so we can have multi-story structures. That’s what I’m waiting on before I make a load of buildings.

Is there somewhere I can look up what a rough dev roadmap is? At least a list of features for the future?

Thanks, and I am addicted to this game.

General big goals are NPC’s and then Z-levels for the immediate future. Other then that it’s pretty much up to what individual devs decide to do at any given time (a natural drawback of the game being an open source development project). You can certainly get an idea about the general tone of the game that we will be looking at in the Design Outline though. And can find our general planned out features by doing a filter for the “Enhancement” tag on the git issues list.

Don’t know where the dreamlands reference came from, I don’t recall any credible plans of adding something like that, and having read most of the dream cycle, I don’t recall anything more than bits and pieces being applicable to dda. so to directly answer the question, “never”.
general decay and deterioration of the environment is something we’re interested in adding, that includes random clothes that get scattered around, and definitely corpses. (amusing side effect, you’d no longer be able to tell if a zombie corpse is down for good since it’d still have the ellow highlighting when decaying)

Are the tileset options not working for anybody else? I tried turning them on and off, and tried both different sets, but it doesn’t seem to work.

Did you download the curses/Console version? Only the Graphical version of the game supports tile sets.

Do I have to start a new game with this version, or can I just transfer my save-game folder? Or do you know?

Thanks!