Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.9 Ma released

1.0 kojima ?

joking please don’t kill me!

We generally decided that 1.0’s being the Lovecraft update.

That said, the next update is PROBABLY NOT going to be 1.0, as there is simply too much incomplete stuff to say that Cataclysm is “complete”.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:1, topic:3997”]Zombears
dear lord…
Shia’s back
And I thought jabberwoks were bad. gg.
[size=2pt]thx gtaguy for “teaching” us of shia.[/size][/quote]

[quote=“dwarfkoala, post:42, topic:3997”]That said, the next update is PROBABLY NOT going to be 1.0, as there is simply too much incomplete stuff to say that Cataclysm is “complete”.[/quote]Yeah, 0.10 sounds about right for the next version.

Congrats on the new version guys!

By the way if the next version has the Z-levels i think that it could make sense to call it 1.0

This is me ranting, and I actually feel bad for saying this, 0.9 has been the glitchiest this game I have EVER seen, all versions previously combined. (I’ve played DDA ever since 0.1, and a bit before DDA had a forum and everything)

I start off with the construction menu not working, an essential part of the game. Fine, whatever, it gets fixed in the experimental. Then I can’t use first aid kits / bandages, things that have to be applied. Fine, whatever. Getting the next experimental - the game crashes upon making a new character. Fine. Next day, next experimental. Everything is working fine, as far as I can tell, having great game with a character aaand the game crashes. Out of nowhere. Again, and again.

I know that I should expect crashes with the experimentals and everything, but this has never happened to this extent.

I love this game and I feel bad for ranting, but this is getting ridiculous. I’ll keep supporting you guys, because I really do enjoy the work you do, but for now I am just dropping this game.

Don’t know what everyone is bitching about, 0.9 is running perfectly for me. My character is feverishly brewing meth cola for days without a glitch.

It’s hit and miss, it depends on the system, the build, a bunch of other things. That said they’re working on it, it’s just taking time.

Is it based on the system? Mine’s Windows 7 64x for the record, running the current stable 0.9

Squirrel, the construction thing is fixed in stable, just redownload and it should be ok. Right now is the absolute WORST time to hop around on the experimentals, we have a HUGE pile of stuff we were holding off on while finishing up for the 0.9 release, and now that’s all getting shoveled into the code as fast as we can, which means it’s very unstable right now.

Now, are there any issues with stable right now? I haven’t heard anything except save compatibility that’s really major since the construction thing got fixed.

Stable is running perfectly as far as I can tell. The only crashes are when loading from the main screen into the game, though trying again results in successful start, so it’s not really an issue. As a default I always have autosave on for every 5 minutes, as well as a sleeping save query, and I hotkey quicksave to capital S and tap it pretty neurotically, which limits the grief that flash crashes cause. Though again no crashes “in game” from the current 0.9 on windows 7 64x that i’ve encountered, and I’ve been making quiet a mischief with it today.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:50, topic:3997”]Squirrel, the construction thing is fixed in stable, just redownload and it should be ok. Right now is the absolute WORST time to hop around on the experimentals, we have a HUGE pile of stuff we were holding off on while finishing up for the 0.9 release, and now that’s all getting shoveled into the code as fast as we can, which means it’s very unstable right now.

Now, are there any issues with stable right now? I haven’t heard anything except save compatibility that’s really major since the construction thing got fixed.[/quote]

I’m not positive on this but I think there’s a bug with the world-gen, at least that’s what I think it is from the log [See Thread] Though that one’s avoidable (it seems) just by saving frequently then shrugging and loading your save when it crashes… If that’s still a bug.

I’ve compiled 0.9 trough several debian-based distros and everything seems to be working fine. Are the bugs windows-specific or what?

Very probably yes. Most of the maintainers and core contributors seem to be developing on Linux, so bugs they see don’t generally make it into master.

For some reason, even my 2nd savegame is corrupt and cannot be loaded anymore.

It goes to 1100/14892 blocks, memory usage goes up to 950MB and then win gives following message: . (Below is the task manager info).

Running on Windows XP.

I assume this happens when the save process is somehow interrupted. Since, when I manually edit the .sav file and delete all the ‘NUL’ entries and other garbage and the end of the string-section, it loads properly, but most stored info is gone of course. I’ll keep an eye on this.

In the meanwhile, all of you win users experiencing problems could just fire up some linux virtual machine.
Hopefully a fix will roll out real soon.

prytoclasm: That sounds like a save incompatability problem that I’ve partially addressed. I think we will have a 0.9.1 with some bugfixes, including that one. Unfortunately that particular issue requires manual intervention to work around, but it’s simple (changing the version number of the player save file).

incredible release, incredible game. and yeah stable is running perfectly on Wine for me on OS X mavericks.

however i am noticing that theres a ridiculous amount of goodies everywhere - something like a third of the houses ive looted have had basements, and ive found two dead scientist groups, two dead soldier groups and a crate drop just in the 30x30 maptile or so area ive explored. i’m loving it but it seems sort of unlikely that that’s intentional, ive never had this much luck. the only world setting i changed was setting city size to 8

I was eaten by a size 10 pack of zombie dogs on my first foray into a city in 0.9, so consider yourself lucky

Erm. No. It’s not. I started a new game with the newest version. Happend twice so far, still waiting for the third. Maybe it was an interference with the virus scanner.

As stated: Saved the game (which did not lead me back to the menu, I forgot to mention that earlier), wanted to continue later → corrupt file.

Anyways, I’ll keep an eye on it.