Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.9 Ma released

i got the native mac stable and the world is normal so i dunno about my issue a few posts ago

it might be worth pointing out that currently running the windows build in wine is much, much, much faster than the native mac build (and this was true of the last release as well)

Wow, first time I hear about Wine for OSX (I don’t own any Mac)
Wine devs sold there souls! :smiley:

Erm. No. It’s not. I started a new game with the newest version. Happend twice so far, still waiting for the third. Maybe it was an interference with the virus scanner.

As stated: Saved the game (which did not lead me back to the menu, I forgot to mention that earlier), wanted to continue later → corrupt file.

Anyways, I’ll keep an eye on it.[/quote]
I stand corrected, thanks for the update.

Any chance that your disk might be full? We definitely don’t handle that properly.

[quote=“Squirrel, post:46, topic:3997”]This is me ranting, and I actually feel bad for saying this, 0.9 has been the glitchiest this game I have EVER seen, all versions previously combined. (I’ve played DDA ever since 0.1, and a bit before DDA had a forum and everything)

I start off with the construction menu not working, an essential part of the game. Fine, whatever, it gets fixed in the experimental. Then I can’t use first aid kits / bandages, things that have to be applied. Fine, whatever. Getting the next experimental - the game crashes upon making a new character. Fine. Next day, next experimental. Everything is working fine, as far as I can tell, having great game with a character aaand the game crashes. Out of nowhere. Again, and again.

I know that I should expect crashes with the experimentals and everything, but this has never happened to this extent.

I love this game and I feel bad for ranting, but this is getting ridiculous. I’ll keep supporting you guys, because I really do enjoy the work you do, but for now I am just dropping this game.[/quote]

Windows hates you, it’s that simple. Works fine on linux

Yeap, I’ve been playing for quite some hours with 0.9 and didn’t experience any of the problems described in this thread. Under linux, that is.

For you win guys, just fire up a linux VM and start playing.

With the greatly expanding item quantity, are there any plans to remove the artificial limit on inventory? (I mean the 75-item limit), perhaps by making it more like something in ADOM, i.e numeric).

Windows hates you, it’s that simple. Works fine on linux[/quote]

Just wanted to pipe in and say I’m using the stable version posted after they fixed the construction bug and have had no bugs (beyond the usual NPC stuff, but hey I chose to turn them on) at all after several nights playing. This is Windows 7 x64. Maybe I’m just lucky, maybe windows hates you. But it doesn’t seem to break on all windows machines.

I really like this version and all the new stuff, but I found some bugs and wanted to report them for you guys, so here goes!

-Bifocal glasses give you perfect sight, even in total darkness.
-Sometimes dead NPC’s have an item called “none” which is impossible to drop

That’s all I’ve found so far. I’ve had no other problems and am really enjoying it. Kudos to the makers of the game for all your hard work and time spent, it is really appreciated with this awesome game.

Don’t know if it is commonly mentioned in these threads, but a lot of bugfixes go into the experimental versions, probably more than actual new content comes in :slight_smile: (Though the stable gets its bugs fixed as well, just doesn’t receive new content, I guess…) Sometimes you’ll end up with an experimental that has a pretty ugly flaw (so keep your older version just in case!) but I almost always use experimental versions and in general they’re pretty stable, plus you can immediately experience the new content :smiley: And I recently started moving my old save forward with me through experimentals and have had no problems at all with save compatibility :smiley:

It is addictive, though, be warned! Sometimes I grab three or four experimentals a day depending on what I see get added on IRC… I need help!! :wink:

This is more of a curiosity than a complain but, are there any plans to work on NPCs or the Faction system any time soon?

for the NPCs i remember Glyph stating that thew would be reworked in order to deliver the Kickstarter rewards.

About the faction system i don’t have any idea

I eagerly await the day that NPCs work properly. I could just imagine having my own little gang of survivors, romping around the cataclysmic landscape in a jeep, machine guns at the ready.

I could just imagine your companions helping you if you’re grappled by a grabber a-la Resident Evil. That would be really cool.

What I’m really looking forward to, though, is the combat rework that GlyphGryph mentioned at one point on the Bay12 forums. But that’s likely a pretty long way off.

.9 stable is working great for me except for the incredibly wide variety of accidental item duping errors. have those been fixed in the experimental? if so ill start playing that instead.

I’m not sure it’s “all”, but it’s most likely those bugs are already fixed in Experimental. Beware of new bugs though :wink:

[quote=“infectedmochi, post:75, topic:3997”]I’m not sure it’s “all”, but it’s most likely those bugs are already fixed in Experimental. Beware of new bugs though ;)[/quote] Yeah, i wouldn’t recommend the experimental for stability right now :slight_smile:

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:72, topic:3997”]for the NPCs i remember Glyph stating that thew would be reworked in order to deliver the Kickstarter rewards.

About the faction system i don’t have any idea[/quote]

[quote=“Nighthawk, post:73, topic:3997”]I eagerly await the day that NPCs work properly. I could just imagine having my own little gang of survivors, romping around the cataclysmic landscape in a jeep, machine guns at the ready.

I could just imagine your companions helping you if you’re grappled by a grabber a-la Resident Evil. That would be really cool.

What I’m really looking forward to, though, is the combat rework that GlyphGryph mentioned at one point on the Bay12 forums. But that’s likely a pretty long way off.[/quote]

There’s a discussion about this going on in the code forum thing.

It would be cool if they added more detailed spawn options, so I could, for example, turn certain zombie types spawn low or off. For now, mob spawn is ridiculous (well, it always was, especially when Whales worked on Cataclysm), and I can’t even turn them off completely (they still spawn, no matter what spawn scaling I set, and some kinds of them keep spawning in any conditions, like zombie children or zombie swimmers). The lack of such needed options, and totally imbalanced monster strength (splitter, for example, is extremely dangerous while driving as it can break your vehicle and badly wound your character in one split) makes things kinda silly.

Ability to set zombie strength is also a cool feature to add. I’d set them to be really rare, but very powerful. And ability to set them to different types of AI, to make some kinds of zombies smarter than other.

And yet another silly thing is what shops and houses are always on perfect condition UNTIL you come here and zombies start chasing you and start to break furniture and stuff.

And why exactly classic zombies mode also turns labs and military bases off?

Sorry if I sound dumb or unreasonable, it’s just my opinion, maybe I’m just not hardcore enough for this game. And also sorry for my english.

c3456578: Most of your requests are things we want to do but haven’t gotten to yet.
The reason labs and military bases are disabled in classic zombie mode is it isn’t just about the zombies, it’s the whole genre of the game. So basically if something wouldn’t be present in a typical zombie movie, it doesn’t belong in classic zombie mode. That means all the mutations, cybernetics, and superscience weapons. It would be REALLY complicated to rework the military bases and labs so they only spawned classic type items, so instead we just don’t spawn labs or bases at all.

Thank you for your answer.

Oh, now I understand. But does it really work that way? We are talking about that monochrome 50’s zombie horror movies, right? I mean, I am still able to find solar powered cars and some modern guns, and maybe even craft that NX-17 rifle. Consoles are still present and some other modern or sci fi stuff too. I think, I even found scientist corpses a couple of times (played a long time ago), so bionics and mutagen are still present, if that is true. I played classic zombie mode, because there was no annoying worms (who turn ground into a pile of mess if you was unlucky to settle on their biome), overpowered swamp monsters (man, if you only saw how many slugs once spawned outside of shed while my charater slept, I think a hundred or so) and, as I said, splitters, who ruin your car and loot, so I personally really hope what bases will appear in that mode.