"tile_info":
[
    {
        "height": 32,
        "width": 32
    }
],

gfx\DeonTileset\tile_config.json
The tiles that the game uses is changed (ex. toilets sprites instead of walls) when I try to change the tile size to any other number.
It takes forever to try and scout for zombies because the tiles at 32x32 is ridiculously big. I think 16x16 - 22x22 are the most view:tile sized balance. The art can still be appreciated and its nice to see spitters/shockers on screen before they use their ranged attacks on you. Is there a way to make these tiles smaller without glitching out? I’m used to playing with ASCII though, so no rush though guys! Great work with the new update though, love the changes to the crafting, I can’t wait to get my forge up and running!

I know this is a HUGE thing to ask, but is their going to be a massive over haul in terms of z-levels. For instance, having the apartment tower be an actual tower. I’m happy with the lower levels, such as basements. Also, nice work with the new features; I love all the new occupations that have been added!

Well I could think in that way. Maybe is better :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, this version too doesn’t work ;_;[/quote]

The error is for libintl, right? The easiest workaround would be to install Xcode (free from app store) and then within Xcode, go to Preferences → Downloads → Components → Command Line Tools and install those. That will give you gcc, glibc, and all the other goodies you are missing. i2amroy’s build will likely work then.

By the way, i2amroy, have you typed “otool -L ./cataclysm-tiles” to see what libraries it is pulling in? Did you manage to statically pull in SDL and ncurses or are those dependencies?

An idea of stats for this release:
Somewhere around 7,500 downloads for windows, 500 for linux, and 300 or so very disappointed mac users.

I have! And both of them report that they are including the libintl libraries, which is why I have absolutely no idea why this isn’t working. :confused:

say, if you’re going to have invincible shrubs, could you at least rename them “Spinach Plants”? that way i won’t feel so bad about my three ton heavily armoured flatbed truck traveling at 50+ MPH being stopped cold in it’s tracks by a plant.

I’ve only just started playing 0.8, and I’ve already noticed several bugs:

• When targeting monsters with a slingshot, sometimes the farthest monster is targeted first.
  • Weapon stuck messages no longer appear. I’ve had my weapon disappear into monsters several times with no warning.
  • I tried to use cannabis and got a message, “You haven’t gotten anything to smoke out of,” but still got the positive effects as if I had smoked it. (No charges were consumed.)

I understand that the game is in development, but I personally do not enjoy being a bug tester, so I’m going to play 0.7 until the bugs have by and large been worked out.

(Also, I miss clothing with negative encumbrance.)

Actually, the first one is not a glitch, the game first targets the nearest enemy and then will continue to aim at the last hit; not mattering if other enemies are nearer

@kevin: your wife must hate this game…

8300 downloads in a couple of days? That is pretty good.

She’s kind of peeved if I put off coming to eat dinner because I’m trying to fix a bug or something, but in general it’s just what I do with my spare time. Also it’s no different compared to in the past when I would put off coming to dinner because I was finishing a turn in X-com…

I have! And both of them report that they are including the libintl libraries, which is why I have absolutely no idea why this isn’t working. :/[/quote]

Wait, are you saying that they are listed there? Anything listed by “otool -L” are dynamically linked libraries, so those libraries have to be present on every system that tries to run the game.

I just did some digging. So the mac version of GCC (the one installed through Xcode) has a bunch of the static linking options gimped. From this page:Technical Q&A QA1393: Using static versions of existing dynamic libraries, it says:

There is no way to choose a static library over a corresponding dylib if both libraries are in the same directory without using the -l linker option and absolute paths to each library.

SOOOO, I got it to use static libraries for gettext and SDL. Mac only has dylibs for ncurses, iconv and the other system libraries.

The non-SDL version will compile for me like this:

make NATIVE=osx RELEASE=1 OSX_MIN=10.6 LDFLAGS=’ -L/usr/lib -lncurses -liconv -F/System/Library/Frameworks/ -framework CoreFoundation -framework Cocoa /usr/local/Cellar/gettext/0.18.2/lib/libgettextpo.a /usr/local/Cellar/gettext/0.18.2/lib/libasprintf.a /usr/local/Cellar/gettext/0.18.2/lib/libintl.a ’ CXXFLAGS=‘-I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include’

just change the paths for the different lib*.a files to match what you have. I’m still working on the SDL version. For some reason, when I add the SDL*.a libraries, I have to manually add in a bunch of Frameworks for it to work. I installed SDL through brew, and I’m thinking I need the Framework version.

I checked Xcode on the app store… and I can’t install it because I don’t have macOSX 1.8.4+…

there is still hope for me?

Awesome job guys! I have been having so much fun with the game! The tiles make the game much more immersive (Still hilarious that the NPC’s are flowers.)

I notice that the ambient number of open issues on github is slowly but surely creeping up. Is that because bugs are proliferating as the game becomes more complicated, or are people simply throwing more ideas onto the heap? Have ya’ll considered having focus days where you all dog pile onto one or a few older issues?

That one seems cool as hell.

Little A, little B, mostly B.
In some cases we’re finding really old obscure bugs, and some are more recent regressions.
LOTS of those are ideas and feature requests though.

Yeah I’ve been seeing a lot of completely incomprehensible “gut” updates lately. 14000 json files updated in one change FTW

I remember back in good (bad) old days Whales complaining that the game had become burdensome and overwrought and basically so fraught with so many interconnected bugs and inefficiencies that it became a misery to try to fix them, contributing to him moving on to new projects. Do you think that these “systemic” errors and headaches have been resolved or are you guys still planning on uprooting and streamlining whole systems of code down the line?

[quote=“Cinghiale, post:96, topic:3053”]Yeah I’ve been seeing a lot of completely incomprehensible “gut” updates lately. 14000 json files updated in one change FTW

I remember back in good (bad) old days Whales complaining that the game had become burdensome and overwrought and basically so fraught with so many interconnected bugs and inefficiencies that it became a misery to try to fix them, contributing to him moving on to new projects. Do you think that these “systemic” errors and headaches have been resolved or are you guys still planning on uprooting and streamlining whole systems of code down the line?[/quote]
We still have plenty of big systems we eventually plan on rewriting, though most often the reason for doing this isn’t because of bugs, it’s because we have big plans for improving the current systems, plans that often require the removal of old code.

Generally my take on the bigger systemic bugs is that they don’t really influence us due to 2 big factors:
1)A lot of those things that can be considered “systemic” are inherent to the way the current system deals with things. Since lots of times the current system doesn’t support the things we are looking to add, it’s easier just to rip out the whole system and replace it with a new one that not only does the new things we want it to, but clears out a bunch of older bugs as well.
2)There are a a lot of devs working on this (These last 3 months have had almost 50 different devs!). This means that there is practically no dev burnout; if each dev spends a week working hard to replace old, buggy, systems with a new one that works better then that means not only do we replace 50 old systems but each dev still gets to spend 49 weeks coding whatever they want, which means that they are re-energized when it comes time for them to fix something.

Sounds very cool, I was a little skeptical of the kickstarter wagon train with the initial uncertainties. I guess I was just pessimistic cause for every social/crowdfunded game success story lately there have been some pretty dicey failures. In some cases they have and are still going down in nuclear holocaust flamewars and butthurt tornadoes

> http://www.gamefront.com/mechwarrior-online-forum-ragesplosion/ <<

If you devs want a lesson on how not to do things, that article there contains a wealth of info. Think of the MWO forums as glass menageries with every goon from SA running through shrieking murder with baseball bats. You think Lazy-Cat is bad? They have, like, 8000 Lazy-Cats, every Lazy-Cat on the internet, all aggregated in 25000 post topics of terror. The mods have resorted to mass exterminating whole legions of posts/topics to try to maintain order. Poor mechwarrior franchise :C

But it looks like Cdda has avoided that fate and has a healthy critical mass. I salute o7

Isn’t part of the difference that the Cdda people haven’t actually repeatedly engaged in freaky/shady-looking activities whereas the MWO people appear to have done so?

I think the one thing that takes the most load off is that we aren’t profit seeking, we just want a better game, and have always been focused on that.
Other major contributors:
We had reached “critical mass”, with code, developers and users, BEFORE the Kickstarter. (see https://www.ohloh.net/p/cataclysm-dda, see the contributor and commit peaks in May? That was about when the Kickstarter happened, we were already on this trajectory.)
Clearly defined, achievable goals. We figured out what the hard parts would be going forward, and targeted them. Also we were realistic about timeframes etc.
Not a make-or-break decision. The entire future of the project wasn’t hanging in the balance, just some really sweet nice-to-have features.