Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.8 Romero released

@cinghiale: if lazycat actually had a halfway decent personality he would be a nice addition to team. it takes alot of effort to be this obnoxious on a passive forum. I would if he actually works in this profession. I work as a DBA and I wouldn’t want him on my team (and DBAs have a reputation for being a pain).

@i2amroy: is that the kind of systemic stuff that would take a full time person to cleanup? Though Im a DBA, I have done development. I do understand that some things need blocks of time ,because you have to load up the info into your own RAM and plow through it. 2 hours here or there, then going to work, then having time for spouses makes some heavy duty work really difficult to do part time.

how long is galenevil booked to? End of november?

In short, SDL == tiles (GDI (ncurses on linux) plays in terminal in pure text)[/quote]

Many thanks. Sorry, I forgot I even posted the question.

Most of it no, though a lot of them are borderline and would be a lot easier for a full-timer to do. The few that aren’t have been mostly targeted with the kickstarter, namely the Z-levels update and getting tile support into the game.

Well, I loaded the hereby questioned v0.8 in the banks of ye ol’ lowRAM Beercan (I decided to call it so, don’t ask how) and immediately went hires with curses windoze build. I appreciate the minor bug fixes and some love that had certainly been put into redesigning spawns that appear more attuned to sense. Since gamespeed is now under full control hopefully this will induce the inplementation of some of the more sophisticated features such as the abovementioned Z-levels.
The item management is now actually enjoyable, with a single glitch to be mentioned; the stacked items in the inventory claim a different letter via means of (w)ielding an item from the stack. If there is a restrictment bound to that slot, at least the item that’s been picked out should claim the next free letter assignment and not the whole (leftover) stack.

And thanx for all the bubblegum! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry for my impatience… but there is still hope for my problem, or I can’t do nothing about it?

If not, thanks anyway for trying

[quote=“Kemiatan, post:105, topic:3053”]Sorry for my impatience… but there is still hope for my problem, or I can’t do nothing about it?

If not, thanks anyway for trying[/quote]
I don’t think you even need the full Xcode package (and if you do there should be a compatible version). I’ve posted a little bit more in-depth instructions on how to compile here, should you decide that you can’t wait for us to mange to get this working and want to compile your own version.

Well, for now I will try to compile myself the game, though I failed every single time I tried before (but I think it was because I haven’t downloaded the “command line tools”).

Anyway, thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Edit: well, my mac hate me… I can’t compile, because I can’t write my password in the terminal when it ask me… ;_;

Just type in your password like normal and hit enter. Most higher level computer stuff doesn’t show the * or whatever when you are typing in a password as an additional level of security, but if you type it in and hit enter it will work just like normal.

oh… well, thanks. again.

this resolve all my problems

OSX: I have compiled v 0.8 into a disk image, drag to Applications folder, double click and run; tiles by default (ascii optional). Get it at: http://goo.gl/KYnqTj

Let me know if you like it, hate it or have issues with it. :slight_smile:

Dennis Groves

So, I was trying again to de-make the tileset using Deon as the basis:

As you see there are issues for example with walls, since the tileset doesn’t have specific tiles for corners. Similar issues when the tile contains object, or even the look cursor.

It would be much better if the game allowed to actually load two different fonts for UI and for gameview.

Work in progress here: http://www.cesspit.net/misc/10x10.zip (dump into gfx/DeonTileset obviously it overwrites it)

EDIT: I managed to fix the wall issue.

Can someone explain me what “bg” is in the tilething?

And why the hell tiles are not displaying seats at all? They seem to ignore the tile and just draw the frame instead.

Let me know if you like it, hate it or have issues with it. :-)

Dennis Groves

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for your efford on bringing 0.8 to the Mac! Sadly it is not running on 10.6. The .app wont start. No errror message at all. Can you try to bring up a terminal based ASCII version?

[quote=“HRose, post:112, topic:3053”]Can someone explain me what “bg” is in the tilething?

And why the hell tiles are not displaying seats at all? They seem to ignore the tile and just draw the frame instead.[/quote]

This is the same in tiles and in ASCII. Just the way the game is set up.

[quote=“Zireael, post:114, topic:3053”][quote=“HRose, post:112, topic:3053”]Can someone explain me what “bg” is in the tilething?

And why the hell tiles are not displaying seats at all? They seem to ignore the tile and just draw the frame instead.[/quote]

This is the same in tiles and in ASCII. Just the way the game is set up.[/quote]

Nope, I can’t make the tile behave like ASCII would, and it probably depends on something hardcoded, OR the way tile_config.json is set up. So I need someone to explain me what I have to change.

The only parts that I can properly rebind are the wheels and doors (the + sign), everything else behaves differently. For example the tile version uses the same grey block on most of the car, while ASCII shows windscreens, seats, wheel and so on, using different symbols. I have assigned different tiles to them, but somewhat the gray “frame” takes priority. For example

This is on the same slot. On ASCII, the “windshield” is actually shown, on tile you instead see the “frame”. Same for the red “#” seats, they are never shown in tile mode even if they are set-up, because it draws instead the frame on the same cell. So there must be something somewhere that tells the game what to draw when there’s more than just one thing.

Just did a quick dive through the code for drawing vehicle parts, both Tiles and ASCII, and they look functionally the same. Just one draws a symbol while the other draws a tile instead. I am really not sure what the issue is here, but I aim to find out soon. I’ll do some tests and hopefully will have an answer quickly >.<

If it can help I found some workaround to properly draw the seats in vehicles. It’s “vp_frame_v2”. It seems to handle the same tiles where seats would go, but it shouldn’t be the actual correct one (since vp_frame_v2 should be once again just the frame).

With windshields it’s actually impossible, both Deon and Hoder don’t seem to be able to draw windshields that in the tile list should be: vp_window. While they are shown on every vehicle with ASCII.

EDIT: There’s also another possible issue. When there’s something in a cell, in ASCII you see the background colored blue. For example there’s a “sick” in “shallow water”, in ASCII I see the shallow water symbol, and the background colored blue to show something is there. In tile mode instead the stick “hides” the shallow water symbol, as if it takes priority.

I may need to add in a “grab all parts from x,y and prioritize” function to get it working. Wish we had better layering mechanics for vehicles to say “seat-x” is atop “frame-y”, when I could just grab the top of the stack and be happy, or draw from the bottom up… alsjdljs rawr…

[quote=“HRose, post:111, topic:3053”]So, I was trying again to de-make the tileset using Deon as the basis:

As you see there are issues for example with walls, since the tileset doesn’t have specific tiles for corners. Similar issues when the tile contains object, or even the look cursor.

It would be much better if the game allowed to actually load two different fonts for UI and for gameview.

Work in progress here: http://www.cesspit.net/misc/10x10.zip (dump into gfx/DeonTileset obviously it overwrites it)

EDIT: I managed to fix the wall issue.[/quote]

I love this approach, I can still see just as far as with curses, but specific tiles are ‘easier’ to distinguish. Also… square tiles. It’s awesome.

Oh, and another thing I wanted to rant about:

a few versions back I found a working vehicle, but I was disappointed by the collision system. Imho, it’s not very realistic, and so way too immersion breaking, that one can easily drive right through buildings without suffering much damage. This stuff should at least use some basic damage model that considers the frame resistance and speed, and then make also a check against the stuff you’re colliding with. A crash with a car against a wall could take down the wall, but the car would likely explode or at least not move ever again.

Or at least cars that aren’t specifically engineered to tear down things, and even in that case speed should be severely affected.