Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.8 Romero released

Yeah, I think I might be missing some library somewhere (yet it still compiled). Give me a bit to nail down the problem and I’ll post a test version here in a few minutes with any luck.

ok I’ll wait then, thanks for the help :slight_smile:

I’ve got a letter which says that rewards were distributed and survivor info has been gathered, but I haven’t submitted it yet D:. Where can I submit it?

I mean the character name, description and inventory (and what can we pick from?).

Just the “names only” tiers. The custom survivors and houses still have some time left to go.

Great update, love the new features… but something has been kinda bugging me. does the game “Feel” slower to any of you, or have i just not played in a while.

Depending on your OS you might be able to get some nice speed improvements by switching version types (Linux generally is faster on curses and Windows on SDL; Tiles is SDL).

@Kemiatan
Try this version and see if it works with double-clicking on cataclysm-launcher.

@Kemiatan Try [url=http://www.mediafire.com/download/ehbxycralbhn5n4/Cataclysm-DDA-test.zip]this version[/url] and see if it works with double-clicking on cataclysm-launcher.
Nope, still the same error...

moment like this make me regret having a Mac ;_;

Don’t think of it as watching mac’s be stupid think of it as watching us develop a good mac build environment and makefile to make sure this never happens again. :stuck_out_tongue:

And another version. I’m just gonna keep linking in libraries until this thing works. :confused:

O-o somehow got fungaloid disease without even encountering them o-o

So, I see theres backwards compatibility for saves, does this include cross platform? So, if I give up on playing it on my Mac, can I copy it to my PC?

It’s not so much backwards compatibility for previous saves, but rather “should be backwards compatible from here on”. And I’m fairly certain that saves should be cross compatible between platforms from here on out.

Well I could think in that way. Maybe is better :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, this version too doesn’t work ;_;

Hello. Basements enter and exit are broken with new version. You can check it by opening the whole map, teleporting yourself into the basement and then exit it. You will appear outside the house with no enter around.

Did you try < and >? Shift + . and shift + ,

Yes. In fact there is no “steps down” point where “steps up” point is underground.

That’s… highly unusual.

Thanks for reporting this. This is a minor mapgen bug where the basements of some houses aren’t accessable because the mapgen code can’t figure out where to put the down stairs.
The stairs aren’t broken, they’re just missing.
The reason I call it minor is that it has no discernable impact on a regular game. Effectively that house just doesn’t have a basement.

how do you guys decide when the next version is ready for release? I didn’t see any indicators that you were ready to make the experimentals into a baseline?
just curious.

btw, great job by the fulltime dev. this is well worth my kickstarter payment.

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

I’m the main driver on releases, so it pretty much comes down to a personal decision. My plan going forward is to release about once a month, because that’s enough time to get in a significant amount of development done. In this case I delayed the release for quite a while past that because tiles looked like they were “almost ready” for a long time (that’s nothing unusual with big features, in fact I’d say it’s typical), then we had some tricky bugs with inventory letter assignment that ended up taking a long time to sort out (there are still some issues, but it was BAAD for a few days). When it’s coming up on a month, I go through the issue tracker and make a list of bugs that we really can’t release without fixing, this is the list for 0.8:

Then once there are no known critical bugs, I start the release process, which is now outlined at:
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/code_doc/RELEASE_CHECKLIST
If I don’t update the changelog as we go, just updating the changelog can take several evenings, because that involves me reading and summarizing over a thousand commits, then writing the release notices, etc.
So that’s roughly how it happens.

Somebody needs to change the nightly build links on the front page. They should both point to cataclysmdda_0.8.zip.