Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.8 Romero released

Hi guys! Very nice update, but I have one question: why the option “Revive Zombies” was removed?

Because it’s an inherent property of zombies, if they don’t have that they’re basically just cannibals or something.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:17, topic:3053”][quote=“Cinghiale, post:16, topic:3053”]Cool!

Can I get my foot in the door right at the outset and request a removal of queries option for 0.9’s milestones? No more butcher queries…[/quote]
A more likely thing is that butchering will begin to take long enough that you will want a query option for it. :P[/quote]

Hold up. I like zombies reviving if they aren’t thoroughly killed, but butchering is a major break in gameplay as it is. For every zombie that I kill, I have to go back and press Shift+B to really kill them. First of all, butchering should probably get its own lowercase key. Shift is used way too much in this game already, and butchering is a common task. The query dialogue box compounds the break in gameplay (and requires another shift key combination if you don’t turn off case sensitivity). If butchering takes longer, that just means less killing before I have to go back to base and sleep. It seems like this whole thing is taking the play experience in the wrong direction.

So if the devs want butchering to take longer, I vote that it is okay as long as the only use of butchering be to obtain food and harvest bionics from shocker zombies. As a balance, make the (s)mash command pulp zombies in 1 turn to keep them from reviving (as it is it takes many turns). This would actually make butchering zombies less of an interruption to gameplay (a good thing) and make butchering more realistic. From a lore perspective, smashing a zombie’s head to keep them from reviving seems fine. The biggest affect on gameplay would be that survival is harder to lvl up. Butchering zombies naturally takes the survival skill to ~4 or so (depending on skill rust settings).

What do you think?

Oh, and by the way, do pulped zombies currently stay dead forever or do they eventually revive? I know they stay dead for a long time.

They stay dead forever. And yeah I think the goal is to make butchering primarily be for resouce extracting, and make pulping the best way to deal with individual zombies (depending on weapon strength) and “gathering together and burning” the most efficient way to deal with large quantities of them.

I see that travelling elevators still is a bad idea.

Makes the game crash. Also, there’s still a fair share of debug messages popping up, like “no such zombie” or “there’s already a zombie here” and the likes.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:17, topic:3053”][quote=“Cinghiale, post:16, topic:3053”]Cool!

Can I get my foot in the door right at the outset and request a removal of queries option for 0.9’s milestones? No more butcher queries…[/quote]
A more likely thing is that butchering will begin to take long enough that you will want a query option for it. :P[/quote]

…ugh…you devs are sadists…well as long as the butchering/pulping system gets some kind of streamlining to make it less tedious/arthritis inducing. Please focus on “quality of life” improvements for 0.9 milestones. I think there is a lot of long hanging coding fruit to make the game less miserable at some parts. Brainstorm on these before diving aspergedly into the kickstarter goals. Just my two cents…

Again a good update, really nice to follow this game from the beginning !

Can you post an announcement on the main page of the website, about 0.8 released ? It’s still “a glympse to the futur”.

You can remap it to whatever lower case letter is convenient for you in the options menu.

Technically it wasn’t so much as “removed” as “replaced with a monster specific flag”, meaning you can crack open the files (or edit the jsons once the upcoming monster jsonization goes out) to edit whether or not a monster revives on an individual basis.

And yeah, there will be definite streamline improvements on pulping before we extend butchery times too much.

Pretty sure that’s in the plan anyway - we’ve got grabbing for vehicles and furniture, so it makes sense to extend that to heavy items.

Maybe add an “auto gather corpses” command? Stand on a spot, activate command, and you’ll retrieve any corpses in sight and drag them to the spot where you are standing?

I was actually planning on expanding the grab+drag operation to items and furniture too (and get rid of my awful hack in the construction menu), but it turns out to be a bit more complicated than dragging vehicles, go figure.

Need to look into some more draggable/specific vehicles and construction methods for them, like sledges, carts, barrows, etc…

Yeah, we really do need to be able to drag furniture instead of doing whatever we do now.
And the autodrag/move sounds as a very nice function

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:31, topic:3053”]I was actually planning on expanding the grab+drag operation to items and furniture too (and get rid of my awful hack in the construction menu), but it turns out to be a bit more complicated than dragging vehicles, go figure.

Need to look into some more draggable/specific vehicles and construction methods for them, like sledges, carts, barrows, etc…[/quote]

Just reimplement all furniture as a type of vehicle? :wink:

HAH! And that’d fix the contiguous furniture problem too… (pool tables, benches, beds, etc)

Items are actually easy, Grab->grab what? menu, then grab a pointer to the item.

The main problem with furniture is that it can have “contents” but the linkage is only that they’re on the same square, so if you drag around a piece of furniture it will either leave its contents behind, or vacuum up everything as it moves over them. I believe pushing furniture around currently does this, but it’s awkward enough to do that in practice it’s not an issue, if the grab were persistent it might be.

And that’s why I made shopping carts vehicles, because they already had their own inventory.

Kewl, I played one amongst the latest of builds - though I rushed, I still need to ask.
What’s the deal with carts spawning instead of walls? Were you guys trying to encourage stacks of 'em or something in that venue?
Still, pretty much enjoying the great improvement over more formidable zombies being actually formidable. Arms like trashcans do pummel like trashcans, and three spitters at once are a spell to take special care of. Glad to see that animals tend to migrate, too.

Hrm, carts spawning in walls is a bug, they’re supposed to just give up if they would end up in a wall.

Huh. That’s weird. I started near a city (size six) and it’s completely devoid of Zombies…

Well, there is a fungal bloom up close (about 10 tiles away from the town) and I had a run in with the denizens… hundreds of them… but they can’t be all from the city, can they?

Okay, almost completely. There were child zombies in the parks and a horde of zombies left the hotel and did me in, but other than that… ghost town!

EDIT:

…well damn. Who would have known. 0.0 is actually not 0.8. I might have to raise the spawn rate again…

disregard…

A curses mac version (so no tiles) of .8 is now available here until it eventually gets uploaded to the website itself. I’ll take a look into possibly compiling a tiles version later, but for now curses is the only option.

This game has come a long way. Congrats to the devs!

The city size option is great!

Something worrisome I heard: what’s the proportion on ice labs? The original proposal was 50%, and now I’m hearing 100%. The latter would make a fair amount of otherwise-decent stuff practically inaccessible.

Thanks much.