Cataclysm 0.A does not start [Stable and Experimental, Tiles and Terminal]+Edit

Hello,
Today I downloaded the last version of Cataclysm 0.A.
However, when I start the game, a window opens, stays black, and after a couple of seconds, it becomes “Unresponsive”.
This stay like that until I close it (I waited several minutes).

Anyone know where the problem can come from? Or what can I do to help report it?

Details:
Cataclysm 0.9 still works fine.
I tried on two computers both having Window 7.
I tried the stable and experimental version.
I tried the titles and terminal version.
I re-downloaded (several times) the file to be sure it is not corrupted.
I tried 3 different graphic cards (2xNVidia, 1xIntel HD)
I tried to copy my old saves or to extract the game in a new directory.

Edit:
The problem seams to come from loading the two font files (fixedsys.ttf and terminus.fon):
Experiment 1:
After I started the program (and that it get stuck), I try to delete all the files. Two files cannot be removed: cataclysm-tiles.exe and fixedsys.ttf.
Experiment 2:
I remove the file “fixedsys.ttf” and start the game. After it get stuck I try to delete all the game files. Two files cannot be removed: cataclysm-tiles.exe and terminus.fon.
Experiment 3:
I remove both the files “terminus.fon” and “fixedsys.ttf”, and I start the game. The game starts and stop instantly (it does not get stuck).
Experiment 4:
I copied the files fixedsys.ttf and terminus.fon from Cataclysm 0.9, and I start the game. The program get stuck like in Experiment 1.

Thank you :slight_smile:
Cheers,

Did you extract the files first?

Yes. The files are extracted in a directory.

More details about the bug: When the program get stuck, one core of my CPU is used at 100%, the allocated memory does not change, and there is no writing/reading operation made on the hard drive.

somthing similer happens to me i do evetriding but dosent work if it dose cant save the game the onli way is for mi to play is to run the game in the rar filr

but try to run it in the rar file thats what i deed and works

Thanks for the idea.

I tried the following both experiment:

1. Running the program from the “zip” file. I suppose the exe file is extracted somewhere, and then started.
    When doing so, the program starts and immediately stops.
  2. Extract the game in a new directory, and set all the files to be “read only”.
    When doing so, the program starts, open a window and freeze.

Just download it again without doing anything, just unzip.

That is something that I did a “million” time …

[quote=“achoum, post:1, topic:6581”]Hello,
Today I downloaded the last version of Cataclysm 0.A.
However, when I start the game, a window opens, stays black, and after a couple of seconds, it becomes “Unresponsive”.
This stay like that until I close it (I waited several minutes).

Anyone know where the problem can come from? Or what can I do to help report it?

Details:
Cataclysm 0.9 still works fine.
I tried on two computers both having Window 7.
I tried the stable and experimental version.
I tried the titles and terminal version.
I re-downloaded (several times) the file to be sure it is not corrupted.
I tried 3 different graphic cards (2xNVidia, 1xIntel HD)
I tried to copy my old saves or to extract the game in a new directory.

Edit:
The problem seams to come from loading the two font files (fixedsys.ttf and terminus.fon):
Experiment 1:
After I started the program (and that it get stuck), I try to delete all the files. Two files cannot be removed: cataclysm-tiles.exe and fixedsys.ttf.
Experiment 2:
I remove the file “fixedsys.ttf” and start the game. After it get stuck I try to delete all the game files. Two files cannot be removed: cataclysm-tiles.exe and terminus.fon.
Experiment 3:
I remove both the files “terminus.fon” and “fixedsys.ttf”, and I start the game. The game starts and stop instantly (it does not get stuck).
Experiment 4:
I copied the files fixedsys.ttf and terminus.fon from Cataclysm 0.9, and I start the game. The program get stuck like in Experiment 1.

Thank you :slight_smile:
Cheers,[/quote]

Frankly this is a pretty thorough bug report, as they go. We changed how the fonts get called a week or so ago and that’s likely the culprit. There’s not much I can do about it, though, because my computers run XP. Sorry. :frowning:

Window XP :O…

But thanks for the info :slight_smile:
I posted a bug report on the github, and I will try to compile and debug the game to see what is really going on…

Hiya. Newbie here, found Cataclysm DDA about a week-and-a-half ago, and have been playing dying horribly ever since.

I just wanted to pop in to say that I’m experiencing a problem that’s similar to what Achoum described in his initial post. The Stable SDL version works fine (I haven’t tried the Stable Terminal version), but when I download and attempt to run the latest Experimental builds, I hit the problem Achoum described. The window appears, and then it’s basically just an unresponsive black screen. After reading this thread, I ran a couple of tests, and wound up seeing the same results that Achoum stated; that the font files appeared to be tied into why the game weren’t loading correctly. I also monitored Task Manager when attempting to load, and noticed that once it became a black screen, the game process completely stopped using any sort of CPU, and the amount of RAM/Page-File it was using became completely static (neither dropping nor rising). Basically, once it switched to a black screen, it stopped using any further resources, becoming completely stagnant.

One significant deviation from Achoum’s issue, though, is that while the SDL Experimental version fails, the Console Experimental version does not. I’m not sure if there’s a significant difference between the SDL and Console versions (aside from the obvious, of course), but it seems like something the SDL is doing is what’s causing the problem on my system.

I’ve tried this with three versions of the experimental builds over the past few days (I only have the build ID of the latest one, 32ef4ed; I deleted the others). Aside from that, I haven’t been able to do as rigorous of testing as Achoum regarding re-downloading, since my dial-up means it takes 45 minutes to an hour to download the SDL version. The system I’m using is fairly low-end; An Intel P4 2.8 GHz Single-Core Processor with 1.24 GB of RAM and Integrated Graphics, running Windows XP Professional SP3. I don’t have any other hardware to test it out with, sadly.

I don’t have any sort of programming expertise, so I haven’t tried my hand at compiling anything. I’m just an interested player trying to help. :slight_smile: