Car Doors Flip Open

Unless your opponent is shooting at you with a pellet gun, hiding behind a car door isn’t going to protect you; it’s a Hollywood myth.

Heck, if they’re using a high-powered rifle or any sort of magnum handgun round, hiding behind the engine block probably won’t save you.

[quote=“Rivet, post:21, topic:5058”]Unless your opponent is shooting at you with a pellet gun, hiding behind a car door isn’t going to protect you; it’s a Hollywood myth.

Heck, if they’re using a high-powered rifle or any sort of magnum handgun round, hiding behind the engine block probably won’t save you.[/quote]
Just another nail in the coffin. This is a bad suggestion, unlike the logbook suggestion I made.

Well you still don’t want to be standing in the open.

Car doors will give you a chance. I use that term lightly with this information.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:23, topic:5058”]Well you still don’t want to be standing in the open.

Car doors will give you a chance. I use that term lightly with this information.[/quote]

And we got militar platings, that should be bullet-proof, i guess. And to defend from melee it’s good too.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:24, topic:5058”][quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:23, topic:5058”]Well you still don’t want to be standing in the open.

Car doors will give you a chance. I use that term lightly with this information.[/quote]

And we got militar platings, that should be bullet-proof, i guess. And to defend from melee it’s good too.[/quote]

…You’ve got a point.

I’d like to state however this is a point towards a “door” being able to take a bullet. Not towards this suggestion.

So you made your own argument invalid:
An open car door would just be the same: in that tile and you’d have to dodge run around them.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:19, topic:5058”]Yeah, but that is more of a balance thing.
The thing is: what does this add to gameplay? Other then door-slapping Zeds… Nothing much, just some more annoyance.[/quote]

[quote=“Rivet, post:21, topic:5058”]Unless your opponent is shooting at you with a pellet gun, hiding behind a car door isn’t going to protect you; it’s a Hollywood myth.

Heck, if they’re using a high-powered rifle or any sort of magnum handgun round, hiding behind the engine block probably won’t save you.[/quote]
It’s now been proven that it can be used for cover.

In your opinion. Please remain impartial.
At the moment, it isn’t possible to close a door when a corpse is lying in the doorway. You’d have to pick it up into your inventory and drop it somwhere else. THIS is only for the sake of realism and doesn’t add much for the player, rather against. In your words:
“Just some more annoyance”

So why not add car doors flipping open? It makes the game more realistic, furthermore it adds things FOR and AGAINST the player, namely the player being unable to leave the car if the door is blocked as well as cover and door-slapping enemies.

This would also help blocking building doors with furniture, if an NPC tried to get into your base couldn’t open the door because a shelf is standig behind hit.

In my opinion it adds a lot to the game.[quote=“gtaguy, post:22, topic:5058”]Just another nail in the coffin. This is a bad suggestion, unlike the logbook suggestion I made.[/quote]

I don’t quite get this statement. Sure, you support what Rivet said but why
a) can’t you remain impartial and
b) do you have to praise your own ideas in another suggestion thread?
It’s no competition about whose suggestions make it into the game, it’s about making the game better for everyone.
[hr]

[quote=“gtaguy, post:22, topic:5058”][quote=“Rivet, post:21, topic:5058”]Unless your opponent is shooting at you with a pellet gun, hiding behind a car door isn’t going to protect you; it’s a Hollywood myth.

Just another nail in the coffin. This is a bad suggestion, unlike the logbook suggestion I made.[/quote]coughi’m the one who made the logbook/journal suggestioncough

Heck, if they’re using a high-powered rifle or any sort of magnum handgun round, hiding behind the engine block probably won’t save you.[/quote]there are two type of protection: cover & concealment

cover is anything that will actually stop an incoming projectile. obviously different levels of cover are required against different levels of force; a car door is adequate protection from a .22, whereas a tank would not be adequate protection from an anti-tank round.

concealment covers your movement and/or position so the enemy is less likely to hit you. the aforementioned tank would only be concealment from an anti-tank round, but more than adequate cover for anything up to that.

when you’re going for stealth, concealment is key, if the enemy knows you’re there, you want cover.

Your opinion is wrong.
The fact is, I don’t think that a door will reach past 2 meters when open. If it does, then is it worth the development time? If yes, then just how much fun will you have using this feature? If you will enjoy this feature a great amount then are the devs willing to add it! If yes, congratulations!

[quote=“gtaguy, post:22, topic:5058”][quote=“Rivet, post:21, topic:5058”]Unless your opponent is shooting at you with a pellet gun, hiding behind a car door isn’t going to protect you; it’s a Hollywood myth.

Just another nail in the coffin. This is a bad suggestion, unlike the logbook suggestion I made.[/quote]

Hey, man. This is really petty sounding. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but it would be like, if I made a thread about, say, how the game needs a fried chicken joint to go along with the other restaurants. And you were all in your logbook thread, minding your own business, and I came in guns blazing with accusations about the quality of your ideas in regards to logbooks, and started talking about how chicken was a better idea. Like there was only room for one of those concepts. It either had to be logbooks or chicken.

Sort of a false dichotomy. But it’s not a big deal. We can all talk about it in my fried chicken thread.

It would be fun to use a car door to dodge those stupid boomer bile spits and spitter zombie acid bombs!

This is the only application I can see this idea doing.
And that only works if the boomer or spitter is dumb enough to try attacking when you have cover (which they should I believe).

Correct.

The fact of the matter is, car doors would be a good addition, they could block all kinds of attacks: melee, lightning/laser, puke/acid (acid would do more damage obviously) small caliber guns and most bows.
Car door shields have been discussed in the passed, and people say they are too heavy, but we can move cars with high enough strength, a car door is a tiny fraction of that weight, it may be awkward to implement, but it could be done.
(having you decide where to deploy your shield, like deploying a tent is one option)

I wouldn’t mind some kind of instant-setup car door blockade. I also wouldn’t mind car doors opening. But it sounds very hard to implement.

I’m still trying to picture how this would work.

I suppose it would almost have to be a 2 tile thing, but I’m not seeing how it would work out in ASCII, and in certain vehicle orientations.

I think it’s a good idea though. At least in concept. As it stands, the doors of the game seem to be Star Trek style retracting ones, because once opened, they have no actual volume any more.

I’m not sure how I feel about it being 2 tiles.

But how we show that the player is standing behind the car door? Have a line?

|@ @|

[quote=“DapperDogman, post:34, topic:5058”]The fact of the matter is, car doors would be a good addition, they could block all kinds of attacks: melee, lightning/laser, puke/acid (acid would do more damage obviously) small caliber guns and most bows.
Car door shields have been discussed in the passed, and people say they are too heavy, but we can move cars with high enough strength, a car door is a tiny fraction of that weight, it may be awkward to implement, but it could be done.
(having you decide where to deploy your shield, like deploying a tent is one option)[/quote]

Just because a car door is a fraction of the weight of a full car doesn’t mean it’s easier to use.
The weight of a car is balanced. Once it’s rolling, it’s easy to keep rolling. Ever had a breakdown, or needed a running start?

Whatever merit using a car door as a man-portable shield has would be completely negated by the effort and exhaustion of carrying something so heavy and awkward around all day. The average car door weighs in at around 100~200 pounds. For the low end estimate that’s around the average cata PC dumping his entire inventory minus some clothes to carry just one item.

That said, deployable obstacles would be nice.
Shame we can’t just have an option to flip tables and bookcases or the like and create impromptu obstacles.

Or after it’s come off, you could choose to turn it into the frame or whatever you use to make the car doors, or have it act like a furniture item that blocks all movement, allows vision, and has zombies attack it if it’s in their way.

Just something I thought of.