Can't smash cars

I’m trying to smash up worthless cars for steel, but I can only hit the pavement. I’m wielding a quarterstaff. STR 10. It did allow me to smash the windshield out for glass shards. Was that feature removed?

Verison 0.D-13513-g7294d30 (tiles)

i think you need something with more bash damage cars aren’t that flimsy anymore i think. or try smashing a wreckage with broken (X) parts. also a good way i discovered to smash those worthless cars is with a heavy vehicle, preferably with a ram in the front and slowly ram them at small speed it will destroy the cars fairly easy

Even then, it shouldn’t hit the pavement through the car… This sounds more like a bug.

That’s an old version. Try updating to the stable 0.E or the newest experimental, it should work there. I’ll try it and edit this post afterwards if it does not.

Edit: After testing, it seems that one hits the car AND the ground underneath it. I’ll test it further to see if it’s just a wrong message (that one actually only hits the car).

this isn’t a bug I’ve seen it too. seems car smash hits also register a hit to the terrain underneath

I started this save a day or two before the new stable version came out, so I don’t think that’s it, and it doesn’t mention anything about hitting the car.

Not really an update, but kind of fun. I backed up my saves and updated to the latest experimental build. But I can’t go test the car smashing because right before I exited out for the last time I was chased by a pack of zombies, got deep bites on both arms, my legs are damaged, and I have unmanageable pain. My storage clothing was all shredded, so i had to go find all the medical gear I carried on me, and I’m hoping the heroin I just shot kicks in before I die. If the character lives, I’ll report back what happens when I try to smash the car. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

i dare to say its not a bug, it has been around since a bit before 0.E got released iirc (or maybe a bit later)

So… After some more testing (in build #10458) I found the following:

• Smashing a vehicle without enough power to destroy it on an unbreakable ground (grass) does not produce a message.
  • Smashing a vehicle with enough power to destroy it on an unbreakable ground (grass) does not produce a message.
  • Smashing a vehicle withouth enough power to destroy it on a destroyable ground without enough power to destroy the ground does produce a message about “not damaging the ground”.
  • Smashing a vehicle withouth enough power to destroy it on a destroyable ground with enough power to destroy the ground does not produce a message.
  • Smashing a vehicle with enough power to destroy it on a destroyable ground without enough power to destroy the ground does produce a message about “not damaging the ground”.
  • Smashing a vehicle with enough power to destroy it on a destroyable ground with enough power to destroy the ground does not produce a message.

In no case (even with enough power to destroy the underground in one hit) was the underground destroyed before the part of the vehicle on it was completely gone.
I’ve made a table for that, but I’m not sure if it will display correctly…:

Enough strength to damage/destroy... ...the car ...the ground Damages the car Message "don't seem to damage [FLOOR]" Damages the ground
No Can't be damaged No No No
Yes Can't be damaged Yes No No
No No No Yes No
Yes No Yes Yes No
No Yes No No No
Yes Yes Yes No No

Anyway, it seems like it still checks if it can hit the floor, even though it never actually does hit it. Maybe this should be replaced with either a message that the car can’t be damaged or prevented entirely.
Also, while testing I noticed that it’s apparently not possible to drive on a resin floor (the car smashes against it)…? Not sure if that’s intended…

4 Likes