Can you lock a zombie inside? (and what would it take to keep them in?)

[size=14pt]What does it take to trap and secure a Zombie?[/size]
Zombies are hostile, so they will follow you… And if you are faster than them, you can control the pace… This means it should be technically possible to lure a zombie inside a building, leave and close the door behind you… The real question is, what kind of walls/doors would it take to secure a zombie long term? Are they going to eventually scratch away concrete or pallisade walls? (Meaning you’d need to constantly repair the walls) or are there some structures that have enough damage resistance it is impossible to get through them with certain weapons? (meaning a zombie would never be able to even slightly damage them, let alone eventually smash through)

I have recently been considering this for 2 different reasons

[spoiler]For my next survivor i don’t know whether i want to create a fur-clad barbarian gladiator who upon realizing that zombies come back to life, lured some and trapped them in his own custom built gladiator arena…

Or whether i want to do i sciencey pacificistic type, who refuses to kill zombies, instead trapping them for the rest of the world discovers a ‘cure’[/spoiler]

There are quite a lot of terrain tiles that are immune to regular zombie attacks, especially if they are alone*.
Most if not all wall types are immune, I’ll have to look through the door types to tell you which ones are, but against a single zombie I think even a wood door would do it.

*Zombies have a “pile on” attack they can do when trying to bash down terrain, quite a lot of terrain has its threshold set such that one zombie can’t get in, but three or so working together can. Also smaller zombies like child zombies and dogs have a much lower bashing ability.

Though of course stronger zombies can break doors by themselves.

Excellent, provides most of what I need to know and the rest is experimentation!

Ice-o-metric, trapping zombies for SCIENCE!

I never even though of trapping zombies like this. I might have to see what kinds of twisted experiments I can come up with now.

And the question arises: Why don’t you just haul the corpses there and let them resurrect? Why would you kite them?

Labs. They even have some zombie brutes trapped already, if you’re in luck.

And there might be some !!FUN!! flaming eyes.

I can think of two reasons. ONe being “OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD ITS A DEAD GUY RUN!” (from a roleplaying perspective).

Or “Because it’s more fun this way” from a game perspective. Having to be creative in how you “catch” them is kinda neat.

car doors seem to take forever to be bashed down, so a car-door trap would be a solution. I guess.

Trap shocker zombie in a cage connected to a battery. Free power forever and a nifty bugzapper + nightlight!

Gym consisting of LIVE ZOMBIES-for training! You’ve stuck them on spikes at even intervals so they can’t get away or get lost somewhere. Don’t want those dummies going anywhere!

Attach a zombie to a cart! Now attach more zombies! Now put a baby dangling in front of the zombies! Congratulations, you now have an environmental friendly hearse!

“Spitter zombies are so annoying!” Not so, my friend! Lure them into a glass cage with a funnel; instant acid, useful for so many mechanical skills in this post-apocalyptic world!

Fence in your zombie children and dogs! Make sure to reinforce the fences with steel plating! Now you too can have an absurd defense system that scares off the casual looter.

[quote=“Nappist, post:11, topic:6223”]Trap shocker zombie in a cage connected to a battery. Free power forever and a nifty bugzapper + nightlight!

Gym consisting of LIVE ZOMBIES-for training! You’ve stuck them on spikes at even intervals so they can’t get away or get lost somewhere. Don’t want those dummies going anywhere!

Attach a zombie to a cart! Now attach more zombies! Now put a baby dangling in front of the zombies! Congratulations, you now have an environmental friendly hearse!

“Spitter zombies are so annoying!” Not so, my friend! Lure them into a glass cage with a funnel; instant acid, useful for so many mechanical skills in this post-apocalyptic world!

Fence in your zombie children and dogs! Make sure to reinforce the fences with steel plating! Now you too can have an absurd defense system that scares off the casual looter.[/quote]
“You’re new to the gang? We have a couple of spitter zombies so we can make acid bombs onto our right, we have a couple dozen of zombies stuck on spikes for training on our left, and we have some child zombies and dogs outside to scare off the occasional looter. Oh, and you are free to use one of the zombie hulks to pull your vehicle and shopping carts.”

Then in fifty years, we’ll have people who want these zombies free in the wild.

We all know how that is gonna go down.

“Our tainted tornados are made from only the highest quality free-range zombies!”

Zombies reanimate every 12 hours, right?

There is a noticeboard here. it says “GLADIATOR FIGHTS! Twice Daily!”

I approve of this idea and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Toyed with the idea of a zombie genocide. There is a post on df forums called mermaid genocide.

Noise device to lure zombies into a tunnel. Basically a rectangle structure open on one end.
Burn alive.

Don’t think we have pipes and the ability to make gas flow so I can burn with gas or some other fuel.

Anyone try this?

Anyone seen the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fido_(film)?

Zombies can’t climb stairs unless they’re following you, so you could drop the corpses in a basement and only come back up after they’re all dead… again.