Can you escape the lab challenge in the latest experimental?

The wiki page is super old, I think it was written when lab walls weren’t concrete. Can you still get out without explosives?

Yep, though it depends on item spawns now.

What items do you need? Other than teleporters or C4 from the armory I don’t see a way out.

Teleporters, jackhammers (electric for sure, not sure about regular because I haven’t seen any gas), science cards, electrohacks, phasing CBM, acetylene torch, EMP (heavily luck-dependent) and sometimes hacksaws (mapgen dependent)

Labs have changed since I last played. I don’t remember any jackhammers or acetylene torches.

Hoping for a portable teleporter is by far the most likely method.

If the lab has an armory/barracks, you might also be able to acquire explosives. Failing that, there are often enough books and chemical junk to make your own. After the walls were beefed up, dynamite is about the weakest explosive that can usually knock down the doors.

Yes, but you better not waste time, or you could starve first.

The ways out that I have found:

-Science ID card. Only found this once, EVER, in a fairly recent experimental. Don’t expect one, but it happens. Found it in the observation room, in that top right little area with the dissector, in one of the lockers.

-Electric jackhammer. Need to get the right book (there are several), need to get electronics to 5, and I think some fabrication and/or mechanics. Also essentially requires the toolset CBM.

-Regular jackhammer… maybe. I’ve found one in a lab a couple of times, but I’ve never found gas for it, and I don’t think there is sufficient stuff to make gas in the labs, so I don’t think this one works.

-In theory, you could survive long enough for a brute to evolve to a hulk, then get it to follow you upstairs and break you out… but zombies don’t currently follow you across z-levels (they used to and probably will again)

-teleporter. yay, easy win. If you don’t find one, you can get one by disarming a teleport pad… which takes several ranks of trapping skill. Trapping books to occasionally spawn in labs, and you can also make and disarm your own traps… but that is time consuming.

-electrohack - see electric jackhammer, but I think it might have fewer requirements but rarer book (never bothered with it myself)

-sewer escape - sometimes, there are sewers connecting to the lab.

-I’ve never gotten a teleport or phasing CBM in a lab, but I suppose it COULD happen. Do biooperators ever drop/burtcher either of those? Pretty sure scientists don’t…

-In theory, you could make a small “car” with an electric engine and drive it into the door or a wall? Never tried, but it should work.

Those are the ones I know of… probably more possible.

Of course, if you picked Psychopath, starvation will be a far away issue.

That is also another good reason to get your cooking skill nice and high at the start. Start with 4, make amoral aspic, and enjoy not having to worry about food for a while. Then you’ll be easily able to level it up to 5, putting you in reach of skill gains from Advanced Physical Chemistry, then at level 7…boom goes the dyanmite, also learnable from that book.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:8, topic:10612”]Of course, if you picked Psychopath, starvation will be a far away issue.

That is also another good reason to get your cooking skill nice and high at the start. Start with 4, make amoral aspic, and enjoy not having to worry about food for a while. Then you’ll be easily able to level it up to 5, putting you in reach of skill gains from Advanced Physical Chemistry, then at level 7…boom goes the dyanmite, also learnable from that book.[/quote]

Meh, just wait until you are starving and dead tired, THEN eat the (COOKED!) human flesh until you are full, then sleep twice. Starvation starts when you run out of human flesh or it all goes rotten. Yes, several of those methods can EASILY take that long.

But making the food non-perishable buys a lot more time.

True… but that involves spending precious starting points on a skill that is otherwise SUPER easy to get levelled up.

But cooking is a delicious skill. ;w;

Last time I escaped involved a few match stick bombs and a teleporter

I do remember escaping using various things like teleporters (If using this method it’s best to have royal jelly on you), bashing the walls down with a sledgehammer (Can be acquired off the uncommon regular zombie) grenades (for the turret), fertilizer bombs, dynamite, fire, etc.

I don’t know if the vehicle thing is possible, since you need controls to control the vehicle and wheels to drive it

I remember that match stick bombs used to work, but only on concrete walls. It seems now the walls have been buffed.

Fire doesn’t spread as it used to. Even when it does, the best it can do is collapse the roof.

If you’re going to use explosives, put them in corners. Like corners of the wall or steel doors, since they’re the weakest link.