Can ice labs reach 'absolute zero'?

I’m in an ice lab right now, and at level -7 the temperature drops to -212 Fahrenheit (-135.556 Celsius) - That’s almost twice the lowest temperature ever recorded on Earth, which is −128.6 Fahrenheit (−89.2 °Celsius). That record was made in Antarctica!

So my question is, if ice labs can reach temperatures below the world record, can they reach ‘absolute zero’? Maybe even below that?

Ice labs are sci-fi magic so they don’t need to respect nature.

A deep enough ice lab might also break physics and get below absolute zero.

I think the answer to this question is to…make ice labs spawn more floors and see if temperature overflow breaks the game at some point.

I wonder if you just instantly freeze to death when you spawn in absolute zero ice lab

how does the code handle such extremes?

Nah. You freeze to death via gradual pain

The thing I find most annoying about ice labs is that zombies are totally unaffected.

It’s -200 C, man - ALL water-based lifeforms that stay there WILL BE FROZEN SOLID. Heck, in the really cold labs, you still get cold penalties while using Internal Climate Control, thermal outfit, 2 jedi cloaks, and more (done that).

And zombies (wearing standard human street clothes) are completely unaffected. SRSLY?

[quote=“deoxy, post:7, topic:12036”]The thing I find most annoying about ice labs is that zombies are totally unaffected.

It’s -200 C, man - ALL water-based lifeforms that stay there WILL BE FROZEN SOLID. Heck, in the really cold labs, you still get cold penalties while using Internal Climate Control, thermal outfit, 2 jedi cloaks, and more (done that).

And zombies (wearing standard human street clothes) are completely unaffected. SRSLY?[/quote]

Magic.

Also, I tried crafting a diamond katana in a super cold ice lab, didn’t get far.

It’s eventually planned to get special “ice-esque monsters” that live in ice labs as you go deeper, rather than just your standard zombie+robot fare (it was actually planned back when ice labs first showed up, but never got finished).

Is there any food in labs? I brought some toast ems and 3 mres, but that’s it.

labs are scarce on non-monster food

Generally, very little. There will be some potato chips, coffee in various forms (chocolate covered being best for nutrition, IIRC), a little candy once in a while, and human corpses, and usually, that’s it.

However, there’s one room type (the one with locked room of water that has leaked out) that has two refrigerators where actual useful food can spawn. It’s random, so it can be nothing, a beer, a gallon of milk, a frozen dinner… all the way up to several pizzas (most I ever found in one).

There is also the armory area of the barracks rooms, which can sometimes have MREs, but if you’re looting armories, you’re not worrying about food anymore, eh?

cook the dead humies up

Sweet. I’ll try and check that armory out. And can anyone tell me how to complete the “get transcript from black box” mission? I went onto the map tile that was marked red, but could not find any computers designated for that task.

You need to find a room in a lab with a central computer surrounded by four pylons. Place the black box in the center of the pylons, then hack the computer. It should allow you to decrypt the black box, and will give you a transcript.

The rooms are pretty common in labs, you should generally run into one or two per floor.

You need to find a room in a lab with a central computer surrounded by four pylons. Place the black box in the center of the pylons, then hack the computer. It should allow you to decrypt the black box, and will give you a transcript.

The rooms are pretty common in labs, you should generally run into one or two per floor.[/quote]

Also, once hacked, it will happily spit out endless copies of the transcript… which is a book, made from paper. Paper can be used for several things, not least of which is the Internal Furnace…

who gave you that mission?