Can I get a cat pet with catfood?

As written on the title. I am curious if you can lure wild felines into your car/squatter shelter/doom-mobile/farm/survivor-bunker-turned-fortress if you throw cat food near a wild cat and lead it into your abode like Peter Griffon lures James Woods into traps with pieces of candy.

Yes. Cat has to be next to the survivor. Activate cat food in inventory, then pick the direction where the cat is.

Also pick up a pet carrier (commonly found in veterinarian clinics) at some point. Pets can’t ride in vehicles (they’ll just collide with it), so you need to use the carrier to carry them as an item.

I wish they could be tamed with other food than cat/dog food. Pets prefer human food over that dry crap any day.

Who said it was the dry stuff. From the recipe it looks more like the canned stuff.

Thats probably true. Though my dog would rather people food or even raw meat over wet food though.

Makes sense.

Well awesome. A few more questions then.

First off, how does one get close enough to a cat to give them that food? I haven’t managed to get one to stick around/not run away from the characters I play.

Second, and I’m expecting a no here, are there any tangible benefits to the possession of the animal? I’m in for the RP, but my roomie also plays this game and he’s hopeful that you get a morale benefit from having a pet.

Thanks!

[quote=“CK_Kirbi, post:8, topic:14171”]Well awesome. A few more questions then.

First off, how does one get close enough to a cat to give them that food? I haven’t managed to get one to stick around/not run away from the characters I play.

Second, and I’m expecting a no here, are there any tangible benefits to the possession of the animal? I’m in for the RP, but my roomie also plays this game and he’s hopeful that you get a morale benefit from having a pet.

Thanks![/quote]
For your second question in regards to said pet being a cat other than a guaranteed meal when it does no. If it’s a dog it’s a guaranteed meal that does a bit of damage to whatever kills it.

For your first question, sprint hard(perhaps with the aid of stimulants) having one of the scent weakening traits/mutations and sneaking up on one at night.

You can also chase them into a building and get them into a corner.

I found a cat in a vet in one of the kennel cages.

Well that’s convenient.

Well that’s convenient.[/quote]

Free food, right?

Heh, to much dog comes running up and trying to eat me to bother with eating a scrawny cat, I couldn’t get it in a carrier either. Stupid thing.

I found a dog in one once, when I first started playing and thought he would be my friend, but he just attacked me lol.

This is a total tangent, but I’ve been assuming that dogs are more likely to attack you if you’re carrying raw meat. I’ve tried throwing meat at the dogs to distract them, but it hasn’t worked. I haven’t checked if it’s true, but I play assuming that my inventory affects my scent for animal/monster tracking purposes, and that I might be able to set up fake scent trails to help escape.

It would be neat if that sort of behavior was programmed in to their AI – if some animals prefered to eat corpses and meat laying on the ground over attacking live prey.