An idea on how to get pets into cars

Because I’ve seen it come up a few times - friendly dogs won’t get into the car with you, or at least they will but they’ll get slammed through the frames when you drive.

How about a pet harness vehicle part, installed with a rope like seatbelts. You examine the tile it’s on and get “e Examine vehicle p Strap in pet” and if you have an adjacent friendly dog/cat you can strap it into the seat, where it will stay until you let it out or the seat/harness/frame gets destroyed.

Please let me fill a school bus with cats.

This is a good idea, but i think it’s a problem relates to code though? I should be sleeping anyways.

Also, when I wake up remind me to sig the cat bus thing.
To sleep.

[quote=“ramesesniblet, post:1, topic:8772”]Because I’ve seen it come up a few times - friendly dogs won’t get into the car with you, or at least they will but they’ll get slammed through the frames when you drive.

How about a pet harness vehicle part, installed with a rope like seatbelts. You examine the tile it’s on and get “e Examine vehicle p Strap in pet” and if you have an adjacent friendly dog/cat you can strap it into the seat, where it will stay until you let it out or the seat/harness/frame gets destroyed.

Please let me fill a school bus with cats.

You can get pet carriers for dogs and cats when you travel. I don’t see why you couldn’t get something like that implemented in game. Hardware stores and some Houses could stock them.

At least until something more viable for a location. Like a Pet Store (Filled with dog food/cat food) or a Veterinarian filled with the same but with added Meds.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:2, topic:8772”]This is a good idea, but i think it’s a problem relates to code though? I should be sleeping anyways.

Also, when I wake up remind me to sig the cat bus thing.
To sleep.[/quote]

Correct.

Wouldn’t it be possible to “activate” the pet carrier on an appropriate creature, which removes the creature and turns it into a “filled pet carrier” like a quiver? Upon reactivation, it spawns in a non-vehicular square around the player.

No Sparky, why did you jump into the lava vein!!!

Sure, if

1. the pet carrier provides full healing, etc to the critter it carries (doesn’t preserve critter status)

1a) the pet carrier ensures that all life-support needs are met whilst in the carrier (critter status does not change whilst inside)

1. the pet carrier provides a stasis-level protective barrier, ensuring that its occupant cannot be harmed (unless something damages or destroys the carrier?)

So yeah, Kevin noted that pokeballs would be a better option. Too bad they don’t exist in DDA.

Why don’t we have pokeballs? I demand mods for it. Seriously, we could just make it a veterinary sorta carrier, like a Puppy Pamperer tm (phone won’t do superscript) brand pet salon. Just a silly little future thing. Make it late game, mabye a drop from veterinary ambulances.

In case it wasn’t clear, the issues are code limitations, not some weird requirements we’re imposing. But yeah, doesn’t exist thanks to code issues, not because we’re opposed.

You could make it a bit like a blob jar. Insert dog, remove dog later. Different dog, yet the same dog. Doggy pocket dimension? Who knows.

Could it ever be possible to make them act like friendly NPCs to ride in the adjacent tile of a vehicle?

Friendly NPCs just get right in your car, and I’ve found that if you close the doors with them inside and then leave, they will smash their way through the side of your car to get out.

Could dogs operate the same way? It’s a hassle to f*** around with NPCs and vehicles, but if I could take a dog with me, specifically, a dog that doesn’t steal all of the stuff I set down, I would definitely be for that being put into the game.

I’m sure there is some clumsy pokeball-esque way to make this work in the code, like the way blob canisters work, in a way.

So you use restraints on the dog, to turn it into an item, then use the captured dog item in a crafting recipe with an assembled carrier item that can be dissembled to retrieve the carrier and produce a friendly dog. The pet carrier if it gets damaged, produces a similarly damaged pet once released. Run the pet carrier item a couple times with your car, you get a dented/smashed dog when you activate it. Maybe it’s a nano-bot bionic pet carrier mandated by the bizarre government before the cataclysm that restores it’s health, gives it vaccinations and whatnot?

NPCs could work the same way, ‘you Activate your Scorchtech Nanobot-Healing Handcuffs’, 'You gentlly guide your Travis Tuttle into your Scorchtech Nanobot-Healing Handcuffs!, ‘You pick up your Captured Travis Tuttle!’ ‘You strain under the weight!!’ then place them like an item on a seat or trunk, and then ‘You disassemble your Captured Travis Tuttle!’ and they go about their business wildly spraying bullets from their UZI at squirrels and at full health, thanks to Scorchtech healing technology!

Maybe a captured NPC could be used in recipes like more accurate vehicle turrets?

I’m just saying, I really like where this thread has gone.

But really I just want to not squish my pets so any way I can do that is OK ;-;