Building ye'old wooden cart needs to be easier

So I’m messing around with experimental leveling without books roughing it off the land only style, and I’m at the point where I want to start lvling my mechanic skill. I saw I could make wooden wheels, and thought to my self ya lugging a medieval wood cart would make my trips faster. It should be cake to make, and I can make all that parts.

Its not, its horrid. to even put the wheels on the cart I need lvl 2 mechanic, and a car wrench! Wrench’s were not used in medieval times. Let alone the skill level needed to put the cart together.

To get my mechanic skill from 0 to 1, all I can seem to find is that I can only install light wooden frames to that cart, said frame requires 3 short rope, and some wood. and when the frame is made I cant take it off at lvl 0 ether it takes lvl 1 to just remove the thing that takes lvl 0 to put on. to I need to make more light frames witch is super time consuming with all the rope needed.
wood boxes work did not see that. thanks Litppunk.

My suggestion:
Did some thinking, and the level can stay where it is, but I still think the wrench requirement is not needed, and replaced with hammering, or make it so you can use either or. because a simple wood wheel can use a tenon and mortise system instead.
So here is my suggestion: Nerf the required level to put wood wheel’s on, and switch the wrench tool, with the hammer tool instead sense there should be nothing to wench anyway.

How I start any shelter game.

go find a rock.
wield rock.
go back to shelter
smash all the lockers and the 1/2 of the benches closest to them
build a makeshift crowbar
build makeshift hammer/rock hammer (same thing one just uses metal, while the other uses your rock)
make ~ 5 makeshift lockpicks (till fabrication levels)
build 2 wooden frames

• start vehichle construction
    install other frame as box
    should be level 2 mechanics by now, with a cart I can drag… though a bit noisy and without wheels so overloading it means I have to take stuff back out
    build 2 nail-board traps
    start playing

ignore the light wooden frame and just use the nails and

But isn’t it harder to drag with the more stuff in it? like what if my STR is on the low side, and I still think you should not need a wrench for a simple wood wheel :confused:

Then you can practice mechanics more once its to level 2. Getting to level 2 is the main problem.

And getting a wrench?

look im just suggesting that wagon wheels ‘can’ be made, and attached using a tenon and mortise system. (ah i think that is the word for it anyway.)

fair enough. Just figured I’d let you know how I get around the wagon problem. If you can get to a grocery store or something with casters that is another alternative too. Or wheelbarrows.

I agree the wrench requirement in particular is uneeded, it’s caused by the vehicle modification system being built around modifications to modern cars, so it’s not flexible enough to do what you’re asking without a major overhaul.
It should still happen, but it’s going to take a while.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:7, topic:11633”]I agree the wrench requirement in particular is uneeded, it’s caused by the vehicle modification system being built around modifications to modern cars, so it’s not flexible enough to do what you’re asking without a major overhaul.
It should still happen, but it’s going to take a while.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply, here’s hoping :stuck_out_tongue:

By removing “TOOL_WRENCH” from wheel_wood in data/json/vehicle_parts.json you can almost achieve this effect.

In this case only “NAILABLE” remains which only requires a hammering 1 and some nails. So, nails and a rock.

There is no “mortise and tenon” flag that can be added or removed, but by adding “TOOL_NONE” this removes any tooling requirements for the vehicle part in the JSON. To Kevin’s point it would most likely require code work to create a new flag for needing cutting 1 or routing 1 I imagine, but you have some options.

Here is the list of the tool flags. They’re self-explanatory for what tooling requirements they add to the part.

NAILABLE
TOOL_WRENCH
TOOL_SCREWDRIVER
TOOL_NONE

An item without one of these flags will have the default requirements of:

WELDER & WELDING GOGGLES {or} DUCT TAPE

Edit: Looking at the JSON again this item has both TOOL_WRENCH and NAILABLE. This results in the wrench being required, but the hammer and nails apparently overridden. Seems to me like you may have found a bug in either the intended flags on this or the intended function of having more than one type of tooling flag.

Speaking of cart wheels: why can’t they be steerable? Is there a balance reason or is it an oversight from when the steerable mechanic went in?