Building Graphical on Linux (and other Linux Q&A)

Maybe use a custom command like mate-terminal -c which should open your terminal and run the script in it.

but the change made the default for ALL shell sripts into other stuff. So any custom script that I click on will try to open in something else.

No, I mean like when youā€™re setting your DEā€™s associated program for shell scripts, use a custom command to send it to a terminal. Sort of like:

this

Oh cool, thanks! (why did I not get a notification on this :frowning:) Ran into a new problem.

I derped on how to iso a flash drive (want to get grub back in its rightful place) and now of botched a favored usb drive to the point that mkusb canā€™t recognize it (uses dd based commands) and the only way of interacting with it I can find is ā€œEdit mount optionsā€ in ā€œdisksā€ utility.

On the plus Side I think I now know how to fix a lot of the other dead drives & flash drives I have laying around.

Huhā€¦ what are you using, I donā€™t have a place to enter custom input like thatā€¦ maybe if I use something like one of the tweak tools?

Oh Iā€™m using the MATE desktop environment. Any random DE should have something similar, though some of the nerdier ones may require you to edit a text file instead of using a nice GUI interface.
What are you using?

gnome is what I am currently using

Hmm, I havenā€™t used Gnome since the move to Gnome 3. There should be a way to do it, but the modern Gnome folks love to hide configuration options. Like it gives them a sense of validation or something if they move an option somewhere that you canā€™t see it.

Well, Im afraid to change this computer. Its already a failing laptop that freezes frequently. Linux is its last chance at life until something likely fails entirely. I just use it as a work computer for things I Donā€™t want/cant do on my actual work desktop. I can still make and launch ssh files, just cant make a desktop shortcut anymore, so not that big a deal.

Not being able to get Grub to install properly is more annoying at this point. Need to go through some documentation some more, then maybe dig through and figure out what these error are. I think my SSD & HD rotations have confused it to the point of broken or something, so I probably just need to remap everything and maybe re-add some file that got taken out for unbenownst reasons forget what the error was I was pulling but thats vaguely what it looked like to me. Real excited about that.

Though I guess good reason for me to continue to learn about the systems. Iā€™d apreciate getting tossed any links in that area or recomendations/tips for sorting through it.

Try sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc (or grub-efi, or grub2, depending on what bootloader youā€™ve got installed) Thatā€™ll rerun the initial setup program for grub, like when you first installed the system.

So, I was looking through some music players for my KDE Kubuntu build and am currently most interested in Amarok since I think it has built in tempo controls and how changing the speed of music completely changes the mood and sound currently fascinates meā€¦long story short attempting to install amarok gave me:

amarok : Depends: kde-runtime (> 4:4.10) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

following the dependencies down gave me:

kde-style-breeze is already the newest version (4:5.15.4.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu18.10~ppa1).
kde-style-breeze set to manually installed.

Is it telling me that the old kernel is incompatible? It was Ubuntu install originally but then I converted to Kubuntu so I feel like that is probably still being used somehow, and am afraid to do any more of the troubleshooting -purge commands and such, especially since my desktop is out of commission while the GPU gets replaced. little guidance please.

Itā€™s telling you you need the latest KDE to run that version of Amarok. This sort of thing should be a rarity in regular usage. It usually comes up when youā€™ve added some new repositories with different versions of things than whatā€™s installed, so itā€™s probably a result of shifting the install from Ubuntu to Kubuntu.
Try an apt-cache show amarok and see if thereā€™s another version available, and then you can try installing the older one with apt-get install amarok=old.version.number
Alternately, an apt-get dist-upgrade will try to upgrade your system to the new versions of everything and may be able to shake out all the tangled dependencies.

dam. tabbing an auto complete @ ā€˜amarok=ā€™ only gets me 2:2.9.0-0Ubuntu6, which returns dependency kde-runtime (>4:4.10) but held

looks like the switchover as left fairly deep dependency problemsā€¦ so I should probablyā€¦get an alt SD or flash and backup ~home, .bin and maybe a couple others and then install KDE then restore homeā€¦ hmm might be best to best to wait till my other comp is up before doing something like that.

Any good alternatives?

Itā€™s possible to straighten out the dependency problems without reinstalling, though it can be tricky. See what it says if you try to install the new KDE.