Braziers

Hi guys, a noob needs an answer.
I just found an LMOE shelter in the middle of the road. It is really nice but the constant darkness is irritating. I was wondering do braziers produce light? Do I need to restock them with fuel or something?

If you stick something burnable in them and burn it yeah, but not for long. There should be a stove in the room to the right that serves the same function.

Go into the crafting page electronics then make some lightstrips. Doesn’t make much light, but two of them side by side is enough to read by. Also they last long enough that you can stick them in corners and corridors in the shelter and never have to worry about stubbing your toes again.

This thread may help: http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=1396.0

Another option is to get your mechanics up and make a vehicle downstairs. Setup a steel frame, a control, a seat, a headlight. Dunno if you need a gas tank to keep it lit. I haven’t experimented with that yet.
Until a better means exists here is a way to make a light.

Only way to turn this would be to attach some kind of engine, gas tank, and wheels. Get it in to position in the desired orientation and there you go.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! Off to make some lightstrips then.
EDIT: Just died from an infection. Is it just me or do the zombies bite every time? In the version 0.4 only like, 10 % of their attacks were bites.

[quote=“100Rads, post:5, topic:1405”]Wow, thanks for the quick replies! Off to make some lightstrips then.
EDIT: Just died from an infection. Is it just me or do the zombies bite every time? In the version 0.4 only like, 10 % of their attacks were bites.[/quote]

The biting went way up, but that’s a good thing IMHO. Check your encumbrance it’s really important now. Also Hospitals should be a major priority when you start a new game until you’re well stocked on drugs.

It’s not just the bites now mate. Regular attacks have a 1/10 chance of causing an infection IIRC.
Needless to say, but Bites and Deep bites have a much higher chance of becoming infected.

Edit: Also, IIRC you should be able to make lightstrips out of flashlights just by disassembling them. Well, most everything is there, I really can’t remember ~.~

I might try the thing with the frame for my future shelters, but I will try to always have a lightstrip with me so I can read when I sleep in a temporary shelter and things like that.
The bites are really annoying, because I’m trying to avoid fighting. Im still learning the other non-combat aspects of the game.

if you place them on the ground, you need two to read. I think someone said if you keep it in your inv you only need one to read, although I don’t like the idea of walking around with glowsticks >.>

In regards to the bites, you can activate your pocket knife and cauterize your wound. This removes the infection, but I think it also hurts your HP a bit.

You can cauterize with your knife and a hotplate or with a soldering iron just by itself.

Also with a knife and a lighter.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:7, topic:1405”]It’s not just the bites now mate. Regular attacks have a 1/10 chance of causing an infection IIRC.
Needless to say, but Bites and Deep bites have a much higher chance of becoming infected.[/quote]
False actually. Infection chance is the same as always, being a 10% chance on being bitten. (Though we are certainly looking at adding more to the infection system for normal wounds, etc.).

As for getting hit by various things, yeah, there was a big monster buff, especially since now bites actually have a better chance to hit you then normal attacks do, since monsters won’t “miss” on bite specials, meaning if you don’t dodge it it hits.

My personal advice is to train dodge on something that doesn’t bite first (wolves, coyotes, and cougars work fairly well) before you try to train on zombies.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:13, topic:1405”][quote=“Iosyn, post:7, topic:1405”]It’s not just the bites now mate. Regular attacks have a 1/10 chance of causing an infection IIRC.
Needless to say, but Bites and Deep bites have a much higher chance of becoming infected.[/quote]
False actually. Infection chance is the same as always, being a 10% chance on being bitten. (Though we are certainly looking at adding more to the infection system for normal wounds, etc.).

As for getting hit by various things, yeah, there was a big monster buff, especially since now bites actually have a better chance to hit you then normal attacks do, since monsters won’t “miss” on bite specials, meaning if you don’t dodge it it hits.

My personal advice is to train dodge on something that doesn’t bite first (wolves, coyotes, and cougars work fairly well) before you try to train on zombies.[/quote]

Now, if you Block a bite attack, does that inflict the Bite?

Also, am i supposed to be able to be bitten cleanly through an army helmet? I’ve been Bite Wound’d, Poisoned’d, Bleeding’d, and normally damaged via shots that should’ve generally been perfectly blocked by the helmet (hits the head, not eyes or mouth)

If it inflicts damage, it wasn’t ‘perfectly blocked’.

[quote=“halberdsturgeon, post:16, topic:1405”]If it inflicts damage, it wasn’t ‘perfectly blocked’.[/quote]That is what i am saying. Why wouldnt it block a zombie bite or a wasp sting?

In abstract? For the same reason you can be damaged through kevlar - they bit or stung you in a place where your protection wasn’t perfect. Neck, jaw, shoulder, whatever. Technically? Because they inflicted more damage than your armour was able to mitigate. Game balance? Because armour isn’t meant to make you immune to damage.

1: But the game explicitly stated i was hit where my armor had coverage on my head. If it was the eyes or mouth slot then I’d obviously not mind receiving that injury if it was due to a facial wound.
2 and 3: I am still not convinced that normal zeds can bite clean through an army helmet, unless the devs decide to actually establish an exceeding strength by having them bite off entire limbs.

1: But the game explicitly stated i was hit where my armor had coverage on my head. If it was the eyes or mouth slot then I’d obviously not mind receiving that injury if it was due to a facial wound, where the helmet fails to cover.
2 and 3: I am still not convinced that normal zeds should be allowed to bite clean through an army helmet, unless the devs decide to actually establish an exceeding strength by having them bite off entire limbs.