Boxing [Complete!]

Had a massive rewrite, which is now complete-- resulting in a nice, new, orderly boxing.json!
Not added to a starting trait, at this time, but if you find a boxing gym there should be a manual somewhere.
Big thanks to wito for answering all my questions putting up with my general herpaderp.

[ul][li]jab, cross, uppercut, counter, arm block. These should be good enough for now. May add a few moves for higher skill levels (eg unarmed 10) at a later date.[/li]
[li]extra unarmed damage based on dex/per and block damage reduction based on strength.[/li]
[li]extra dodge on move.[/li]
[li]Boxing gloves and headgear. Hand wraps are now skintight.[/li]
[li]Boxing gym, equipment and a water cooler with clean water.[/li]
[li]May need to tweak damage depending on how well/terribly it performs.[/li][/ul]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaP9iieaok

Love this!

Boxing gloves!

orz

Can’t believe I forgot that. As a clothing item or as a weapon, though?

Personally, I’d make them a clothing item; super high encumbrance (which doesn’t hurt melee at all) but with nice protection.

Hand wraps ftw.

We’ve got those already.

I know, I’m just saying.

Don’t take me for an idiot, Riv.

Riv, don’t take him for an idiot. (?

Could there be punching bags that could be punchable and could they help train unarmed combat?

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:9, topic:5121”]I know, I’m just saying.

Don’t take me for an idiot, Riv.[/quote]

I didn’t mean to cause offense.

"type" : "ARMOR", "id" : "gloves_wraps", "name" : "hand wraps", "weight" : 100, "color" : "white", "covers" : ["HANDS"], "to_hit" : 2, "storage" : 0, "symbol" : "[", "description" : "Long pieces of cloth that are meant to be wrapped around your hands to provide small amounts of protection while punching and performing other general mischief.", "price" : 90, "material" : ["cotton", "null"], "volume" : 1, "cutting" : 0, "warmth" : 10, "phase" : "solid", "enviromental_protection" : 0, "encumbrance" : 0, "bashing" : -3, "flags" : ["VARSIZE", "OVERSIZE"], "coverage" : 50, "material_thickness" : 1

Mmm, but still.

And the code is in a tight line again.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:10, topic:5121”]Riv, don’t take him for an idiot. (?

Could there be punching bags that could be punchable and could they help train unarmed combat?[/quote]

Currently just added punchbags as furniture, not sure quite how to make them train unarmed right now but I’ll take a look tomorrow.
You should be able to disassemble them for steel chains, leather and rags.
Traditionally they’re filled with grain/maize etc and there are types you fill with water but giving a player a few week’s worth of food like that is a no.

Progress so far:
The boxing style itself should be finished and working now, but I’ll need to see it in action and possibly make some buffs or nerfs depending on how it turns out. Also there could be room for another attack, maybe a hook or liver blow, but I think the current stuff should be enough to be getting on with for now.

Started work on the boxing gym. Using dojo.json as a template although expect them to be very different buildings by the time I’m finished (probably sometime tomorrow or the day after maybe.)

Planning to add a few more furniture items for it; specifically a few interesting new containers that should also work well in other buildings too and rope walls for the ring itself, although I think there’s some kind of rope fence that might work well for that. Again, something that you could disassemble for some ropes.

Anyway I’m off for tonight. Have fun folks.

Yep I made those, pretty useless though, just there because they almost omnipresent in zombie fiction.

I beg to differ.

When starting in cold weather or with a low-healthpoints flaw they can be a lifesaver.

I beg to differ.

When starting in cold weather or with a low-healthpoints flaw they can be a lifesaver.[/quote]

Really?

Never though anybody bothered to use them outside a few Rp’ers, kinda nice to know they do have a practical purpose.

git.

Had to close the original and make a rewrite-- but as of now everything should be mostly complete.
May need to tweak damage and depending on how it turns out I may add some more attacks for the higher unarmed/melee skills.

One thought: an uppercut by itself is pretty “meh”. How about having the high-powered attack (likely “brutal” in current coding) be a multi-punch combination*? “You rip into the %s with a 13-punch combo!”

*Played as one attack. Boxers can punch rapidly (speed bag and all), and frankly the new JSON-based MA isn’t as robust for combination attacks as I’d like. (Viper Style ain’t what it used to be.)

[quote=“KA101, post:18, topic:5121”]One thought: an uppercut by itself is pretty “meh”. How about having the high-powered attack (likely “brutal” in current coding) be a multi-punch combination*? “You rip into the %s with a 13-punch combo!”

*Played as one attack. Boxers can punch rapidly (speed bag and all), and frankly the new JSON-based MA isn’t as robust for combination attacks as I’d like. (Viper Style ain’t what it used to be.)[/quote]

I know, sadly I’ve not done much work on combos-- the counter is pretty much my limit right now.
There’s plenty of room for changes or additions though.
The upper might need a damage buff or maybe down/knockback, as it is right now it’s pretty conservative.

In particular the viper code intrugies me and I’m contemplating a real special combo skill based on it for unarmed 8~10.

Loved it! Very well done :3