Boring starts

Hi.

I have a problem with starting a new game and i think its boring af, i didn’t found a starting scenario that fits me completely because i start with nothing at all or with pretty much anything i need for midgame~ish gameplay.

I don’t know what to doooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I might be imagining things, but isn’t it possible to make custom starting scenarios/professions? Even if I’m wrong, you could always just use the debug menu to spawn items and create your desired scenario.

Beware, use of the Debug menu is like having a trial run on contracts with the Devil.
Use of the Debug menu is nice for setting up a few things or testing, but beware you don’t get lured in and addicted, becoming a full blown cheater at the cost of your gamer soul.

Ignore this if you’ve mastered early game and are just tired of going through the motions.

My suggestion is to tough it out with the “starts with nothing” scenarios if you haven’t mastered it. The extreme early game scramble for survival is arguably the best part of the game.

I’ll leave it at that the community is better than I am at coming up with crazy mid/late game goals :smiley:

[quote=“Sneaky Potato, post:1, topic:14294”]Hi.

I have a problem with starting a new game and i think its boring af, i didn’t found a starting scenario that fits me completely because i start with nothing at all or with pretty much anything i need for midgame~ish gameplay.

I don’t know what to doooooooooooooooooooooooooo.[/quote]

There’s nothing stopping you from starting with 10 in your crafting skills and going straight for a Strange Temple\Triffid Heart\Necropolis. You could try a wilderness playthrough if that’s something you haven’t done yet. Make and roleplay your favorite fictional characters. Hunt for artifacts. Participate in the “Gods Of The Cataclysm” challenge thread. Its really about setting goals for yourself.

“Nothing at all” is my favorite kind of play!

Seriously, I generally start Really Bad Day, and if I can get off the property (I play with x5, so the RNG makes the starts… odd sometimes - shocker brute in starting room is pretty rough), I generally do OK. The first two seasons are often the most fun, as you have the most achievable goals (stay alive, find tools, improve skills to make better things, etc).

[quote=“Umbra Vorago, post:2, topic:14294”]Beware, use of the Debug menu is like having a trial run on contracts with the Devil.
Use of the Debug menu is nice for setting up a few things or testing, but beware you don’t get lured in and addicted, becoming a full blown cheater at the cost of your gamer soul.[/quote]
Thats why i don’t want to know how to open that pandora’s box, just nope.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:3, topic:14294”]Ignore this if you’ve mastered early game and are just tired of going through the motions.

My suggestion is to tough it out with the “starts with nothing” scenarios if you haven’t mastered it. The extreme early game scramble for survival is arguably the best part of the game.

I’ll leave it at that the community is better than I am at coming up with crazy mid/late game goals :D[/quote]

I agree with you buuuuut im tired of having extremely bad luck (i will talk about that later <3) every time i start a “from zero to hero” run, and i won’t do Ambush with wasteland cyborg again because it’s like skipping 40% of the game with a weak slap in the butt (surrounded by zombies in winter while on a cabin it’s just too easy). For that reason i want to reach a fair and balanced start without feeling like rambo on steroids nor feeling like stephen hopkins with a towel.

It is difficult to find a scenario where it’s dangerous to live but difficult to die, but there are ones where you choose to take risk when you want - the wilderness starts.

When you spawn in the forest, and carefully approach enemy, even bad luck rarely insta-kills.

Bionic Patient start is a lot of fun.
Be sure to turn off filthy clothing.

It bypasses the usual tailoring grind by giving you food->hp bionics, makes you actually want to use opiates to keep the pain at operable levels (you’ll be running around with 100 pain due to lack of armor), lets you grab armor on the run instead of forcing you to spend a whole day with boring brainless shit, makes food matter, skips the otherwise necessary naps whenever you stub your toe.
You will accrue a ton of infections that way, which forces you to go fast and forego sleep instead of spending all day mass crafting and reading books.

It’s like a whole different game that doesn’t have the boring shit of the main game.

For my bionic patient was more tedious in my playthriugh, careful kiting with a knife spear. I felt this play was more fresh, starting bionics and a more calculated and careful play was pretty fun.

I recently started a run Fled The Riots|Bionic Assasin and is doing ok because i found a fucking toolbox, recycler bionic and hydraulic muscles from two bio-weapons buuuuuut i accidentaly killed an npc and now i can’t craft shit, and im famished.

This is one of the runs that i had huge luck, but soon™ that luck may twist.

I will do the hospital challenge even knowing that i will have the frail atribute (worst trait imo).

I think we should make a thread in lab about scenarios created by people and challenge scenarios too, i personaly like the FEMA death camp challenge because is very fun, gives you good starting gear and its not easy if you don’t know where to run.

Extremely bad luck is:

Spawning in a library with 2 shocker brutes ready to hug.

Spawning in a shelter and findig out your neighboors are mi-gos and kercks.

Spawning in the wildernes and being munched to death by a wolf pack.

Spawning in a shelter and having a bipedal robot trying to share the joys of being a mad robot with you.

Spawning in a helicopter crash and being pwned by 20 blobs.

And they just keep coming…

I like to write up custom scenarios into the jsons and also change worldgen settings.

For example starting drunk in a helicopter crash at midnight naked with no map, and bionics that have charge but no power generation.

Having temporary use of bionics lets me avoid dying in the first few hours, but starting out drunk and bleeding at night with no idea where I’m at or what’s nearby makes it a bit of challenge to get to a stable position (especially when considering my spawn settings).

After that the bionics give me an edge on skipping past the ‘building up’ stage after essential survival so I can go right into more interesting things, assuming I survive that long.

ooo, that last bit is an interesting idea I hadn’t considered before.

[quote=“Weyrling, post:12, topic:14294”]I like to write up custom scenarios into the jsons and also change worldgen settings.

For example starting drunk in a helicopter crash at midnight naked with no map, and bionics that have charge but no power generation.

Having temporary use of bionics lets me avoid dying in the first few hours, but starting out drunk and bleeding at night with no idea where I’m at or what’s nearby makes it a bit of challenge to get to a stable position (especially when considering my spawn settings).

After that the bionics give me an edge on skipping past the ‘building up’ stage after essential survival so I can go right into more interesting things, assuming I survive that long.[/quote]

This guy GOT IT, kudos to you because i would like to see everyone’s scenarios and perhaps i could make one if i learn how to edit a json file.