Bloodline?

Hello, everybody…

I’m a new member and I’m not English, so, I speak little English. Please, don’t kill me because there is many spelling and grammar mistakes.

I play catclysme since 8 month, and yesterday, I wondered if we can creat a Bloodline…

But, what is a Bloodline ? Bloodline is a term used in Dwarf Fortress. In DF, a gamer1 commences to play the game and after a moment, he gives is save at an another gamer2, and this gamer continues the game. And gamer2 gives the save at gamer1 and so on.

So, if somebody want to do a “Bloodline” with me, he can express oneself in this topic.

Thanks for everybody ! ! !

Do you mean players swapping save files or implement this as an actual game mechanics.

Players passing the save file along, aka succession games. I think a few have been done on here before.

I remember doing those w/ my friend back in HS. It always turned into a disaster since we both used lava for everything and never remembered to label the levers. While I think it would be kinda interesting to play a continuation of someone’s CDDA save file it lacks appeal compared to passing DF save files. CDDA just doesn’t have the same kinda potential for chaos as DF. A half built vehicle or half fortified base can easily be finished and used even if the result is different then the first person intend but a partially completed fortress wing will leave the next person baffled. In fact unless you pass on a survivor with injuries or purposely put them in a bad position you can’t really be any worse off then you started. Also, you would probably have to use the stable though since unlike DF, CDDA updates every 20 min. and moving save files to multiple different versions can cause problems.

On experimentals, you could probably at least just stick to one version of the experimental, choosing to update after a certain amount of playthroughs, though there’s still the risk of bugs and whatnot.

I suppose you can make Cata succession games fun if the player ends their run in a tight spot - some challenges for the next player to take on but not to the point of impossibility.

Yes, in DF, it’s more fun. But in CDDA, we can exchange technique or other things. We can learn how to play, and yes, place the survivor in bad posture to increase the difficulty.

For the version, for example, players use version 3864 until the end of the games, to avoid incompatibility.

It’s not as funny as DF but, we can test, no ?

[quote=“Balrogue, post:6, topic:10828”]Yes, in DF, it’s more fun. But in CDDA, we can exchange technique or other things. We can learn how to play, and yes, place the survivor in bad posture to increase the difficulty.

For the version, for example, players use version 3864 until the end of the games, to avoid incompatibility.

It’s not as funny as DF but, we can test, no ?[/quote]

Yeah, I think it’d lead to a lot of the same sorts of things, actually–“What do you mean, you lost the deathmobile?” “Since when did this become a melee character?” “Why are we only carrying C-4?”

“Ah, let’s check what the last player left on my inventory…”
-Mininuke (Active)(1)

It has already been said, but the hardest part of a character is the beginning. Passing a character from player to player wouldn’t really accomplish anything amazing without players actively trying to ruin the next one in line.

I’d watch but honestly without megaprojects or fully working NPCs/factions I can’t see much point to it.

e.g a DF succession game usually means the design and construction of hundreds of things-- sleeping quarters, a canal and aqueduct system, fighting off sieges, magma aqueducts, exquisite tombs for the deceased lined with all the treasure of the overworld etc.

As to cata, once you’re past the start what really remains that you can pass on to another player? Making a fortress? Kinda pointless and time consuming since either hordes/dynamic overspawns and floods you every hour of every day, or you play static and clear out the area, after which it’s completely safe.
Could probably do it with ridiculously high static spawns though.

Personally the only way I can see it working is a road-trip type travelogue-- The ongoing construction and repair of a doomtrain, stopping in each city and letting us know what happens. e.g Finished repairs to the deathmobile mk1 – entered local town, hulk nearly bit my head off while raiding a supermarket.

Could you maybe do a series of characters operating in the same world?

Could you maybe do a series of characters operating in the same world?

I don’t know if we can do that.

And yes, Bloodline can be fun if we play the games in road trip.

This kind of thing could get really cool if it went on long enough. The first two or so adventurers might have a bog standard game. later ones might have a harder time starting out if all the good stuff is looted. but eventually there will be a point where the player will start coming across the antics of their predecessors. Burned out buildings, cars wrecked in the middle of the woods. Large collections of novels. caged zombies. ect.

Of course for this to really be enjoyable a fair amount of effort would have to be put forth by each player to make things entertaining for the next one.