Blocking with no style

Playing experimental 199cb84

I started a new character and played around with jacking the item spawn rate as high as it could go. Never did it before, figured it would be neat (turns out it makes lots and lots of rocks). I came across some wreckage which contained tons and tons of gear. Naturally I equipped multiple layers of military grade defensive equipment and merrily went to town to throw rocks at zombies. Like ya do.

I didn’t notice it right away, but my character was blocking attacks despite having no style.

At first I though you guys might have changed it so that when your armor protects you the game says you ‘blocked’ it, in addition to displaying the usual, ‘but they couldn’t get through your armor’ message.

However, I then remembered that zombies, for the most part, throw all their punches dead center. 80% percent of the time they’re hitting your torso, occasionally hitting somewhere else.

But almost every single one of their attacks was hitting an arm or a leg, meaning my character was actually performing a martial arts block despite having no style, and was doing both arm and leg blocks.

Also, blocking still worked while wielding a M1911.

Hmm… what are your skills? List all of them that have a percentage or a number next to them.

And are you sure you don’t have a style? Press _ to check if you have a fighting style selected.

You’re supposed to be able to block with no style, martial arts just make it better in various ways.
Blocking was broken until recently.

Well, I was gonna say what Kevin said but that would make me sound like a butt…

That’s just something you can do now? Sweet.

Well, maybe not. I forgot to mention… I’m doing it constantly.

On average I seem to be blocking 3-4 times for every one time the enemy gets a standard hit through. From a balance stand point I’m wondering if its a bit much? At least for a newly minted character with low skills.

Stats:

Strength - 8
Dexterity- 8
Intelligence - 8
Perception - 8

Skills:

Throwing - 5 (69%)
Handguns - 2 (44%)
Marksmanship - 2 (12%)
Survival - 1 (86%)
Dodging - 1 (12%)
Melee - 0 (96%)
Bashing - 0 (47%)
Construction - 0 (17%)
Everything else - 0 (0%)

Double checked, no style.

Also:

Fleet-footed
Fast learner
Quick
Robust genetics
Night vision

Ok, that’s definitely a problem, will look into it.

Blocking with no style is easy. When the other person swings at you, just flail your arms at the incoming punch. You’ll look like an idiot, and might not get hit as hard…

Oh! You meant no martial arts style!

haha, I thought the same thing every time I saw the thread.
“You block the attack, but you look really goofy doing it.”

I can confirm that it’s blocking way too much.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:8, topic:6243”]haha, I thought the same thing every time I saw the thread.
“You block the attack, but you look really goofy doing it.”[/quote]

Reminds me that I need to change the UI. Having the Stylish trait should change the label to “Untrained” or something.

Because you do NOT have “No Style”.

[quote=“KA101, post:10, topic:6243”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:8, topic:6243”]haha, I thought the same thing every time I saw the thread.
“You block the attack, but you look really goofy doing it.”[/quote]

Reminds me that I need to change the UI. Having the Stylish trait should change the label to “Untrained” or something.

Because you do NOT have “No Style”.[/quote]

“You don’t manage to block the attack, but it sends you flying into a pirouette.”

v:

“Did a trick!” +50 morale