Bite attacks should do cutting damage?

Not sure if this counts as a bug, but currently (as of version changelog-60-g10ce902) bite attacks do bashing damage:

void mattack::bite(game *g, monster *z)
{
    g->add_msg("Your %s is bitten for %d damage!", body_part_name(hit, side).c_str(), dam);
    g->u.hit(g, hit, side, dam, 0);

This is odd, especially considering the message associated with the bite disease (“The bite wound feels really deep…”). It seems like bite attacks should be doing cutting damage instead?

-    g->u.hit(g, hit, side, dam, 0);
+    g->u.hit(g, hit, side, 0, dam);

for me i think it would make more sense for it to be piercing damage. a bite wouldn’t leave a big cut in you, it would leave multiple indentations.

I’m inclined to agree, but it seems that under the hood “stab” damage (like from spears) is treated identically to “cut” damage (like from swords) in the sense that both are reduced by cutting resistance.

Bite damage, I think, should depend on what’s biting you.

When humans/zombies bite things you more crush it between your teeth until you cut into it. Because of this I’d weigh humanoid bits to be about 50/50 bashing and cutting.

Wolves/zombie dogs and the like have very sharp teeth so they can pierce prey and tear of chunks of raw hide. Something we’re just not equipped with and as such I’d weigh them in around 25/75 bashing and cutting. A wolf bite can break bones but most of the danger lies in it ripping/tearing/cutting muscles and arteries.

The reason I recommend cutting over piercing (not sure if it makes a difference anyway) is that most bites are normally meant to latch onto something and tear at it (possible off) leaving jagged gashes or severed pieces. This is as apposed to a spear/stinger/snake bite that are meant to pierce in to reach organs or deliver toxins. But that’s just my outlook.

Agreed, although that solution would require a bit more work.

It does make a difference, since many armor/defensive mutations/defensive bionics have different values for cutting and bashing defense. For instance, the kevlar vest gives 22 cutting DR but only 4 bashing DR, the chitinous plate mutation gives 8 cutting DR but only 2 bashing DR, etc etc.

[quote=“hallo, post:5, topic:1408”]It does make a difference, since many armor/defensive mutations/defensive bionics have different values for cutting and bashing defense. For instance, the kevlar vest gives 22 cutting DR but only 4 bashing DR, the chitinous plate mutation gives 8 cutting DR but only 2 bashing DR, etc etc.[/quote]Not Bashing. The differance between cutting and pierching.

I believe bites were essentially 10:8 ratio, whereas 10 represents 10/10 damage of a crushing bite; the rule commenced during my tabletop days.
Although, if there was significant overhead (ruled in) the damage was rolled (handled) as you do for explosions (counts as imploding a limb) for those nasty bites. So if an alligator gets your foot, it’s a crunch and no running from it.

The main difference is that as skill goes up, cutting increases damage, but piercing reduces enemy’s effective armor.
More details here: http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=1203.msg13600#msg13600