Bionic needs time

Right now you don’t need any time to install bionics and there is a heaven on Earth for save-scummers. But what if we make it more realistic? I think that it is some kind of nano-stuff, so you can install it without surgery.

The idea:
Every time you are trying to install a bionic, you got one of three conditions, depending on difficultly of the module:

1. Installation (light) - something like flashlight or storage battery, basic mod. -1 dexterity, increased hunger, sometimes 5-10 pain. Takes 10-15 hours to become ready to use.
  2. Installation (advanced) - toolset, expanded digest, something, that require surgery to install. -3 dex, - 1 strengh, sometimes 5-15 pain, increased hunger and fatique. Takes 20-30 hours with sleep to complete the installation.
  3. Installation (difficult) - blood filter, memory banks, that require advanced surgery. -4 dex, - 2 strengh, -20 speed, sometimes 10-25 pain, increased hunger, thrist and fatique. Takes 30-50 hours with sleep to complete the installation.

You never know what you will get - faultly installation, genetic damage, or something else. Great for fair play. Plus if someone could describe the character’s feelings…
You feel like something being ripped in your palms for a moment. It slightly hurts.
Ouch! Feels like your flesh being pushed out from your hands! It really hurts, but just for a one moment of pain.
You can sense something beneath the skin of your fingers. It feels strange.
Finally, after so much pain, you feel that your integrated toolset is ready to use.

Something like this has been suggested before. Personally, if there was a way to remove faulty bionics, and maybe without the possibility of losing all your bionics, that would decrease save-scumming. Otherwise you’re mostly just going to encourage longer-term savescumming.

Seems neat.

What Inadequate said.
Also, something mentioned in another topic: rushed install with lousy chances for ohshit moments.

Except that the bionics in CDDA aren’t the nano-machine canisters of Deus Ex. Not to mention save scumming is going to happen. Personally, I don’t want to see any more “MAKE THE BAD BIONICS MORE BAD” until there’s a way to remove the damned things. As it stands the ONLY way to remove the bionics is to hope you get lucky with “You flub the installation and some (all) of your existing bionics are lost!” With mutations there’s Purifier, it doesn’t always get rid of the ones you want gone, sometimes it only removes the ones you want to keep but there’s a way to try to remove the ones you don’t want.

i agree, make it so that you can remove the bad bionics and i wouldn’t have a problem with this.

We definitely need a way to remove bionics through horrible, dangerous surgery. That said having more realistic bionic installs would be cool, though we definitely need to do some discussion in nailing down what exactly a “bionic” is. Is it something you manually install, or is it a package that you just push onto your skin and it automatically installs for you? Things like that need to be nailed down before you can determine what a “realistic” install method would be.

Hmm?

Mayhaps removing bionics lowers maximum HP on that limb/does half that limb’s maximum health in damage.

I think removing bionics should have various effects similar to installing (though generally harder).

Maybe require a specific tool or a machine you can find in labs?

[quote=“gtaguy, post:7, topic:4506”]Hmm?

Mayhaps removing bionics lowers maximum HP on that limb/does half that limb’s maximum health in damage.[/quote]

Nerfing the PC further because they fucked up doesn’t fix the problem it makes it worse.

Since it takes quite a bit of skill to install a bionic, I’m thinking they’re at minimum the cans from Deus Ex and you’re replacing the medbot. More likely, you have to do some amounts of the install yourself, but perhaps the can has nanites or somesuch to assist you with the difficult bits (someone posted about installing the Expanded Digestive Tract at one point: the can sucks out your old intestines through the navel, IIRC).

Since it takes quite a bit of skill to install a bionic, I’m thinking they’re at minimum the cans from Deus Ex and you’re replacing the medbot. More likely, you have to do some amounts of the install yourself, but perhaps the can has nanites or somesuch to assist you with the difficult bits (someone posted about installing the Expanded Digestive Tract at one point: the can sucks out your old intestines through the navel, IIRC).[/quote]

The reason I have to point out that they’re not Deus Ex nanite installs is

You can disassemble and build bionics from scratch.

Yes, they’re all the same size and weight, has anyone stopped to consider it might have just been something that was added and never rebalanced? EG “I have 60 bionics to add, better just make the volume and weight the same for now”