Best ways to start a fire

I play archer builds most of the time. So when I need to start a quick fire, I just place a single arrow down (using the [arrow’s letter] + 1 + [arrow’s letter] again) and light it with whatever I have. Since I tend to have hundreds of arrows at any giving time, I can quickly start a fire whenever it is needed.

Although, for long term fires, I still go back to using logs and such.

Unless you are going to heat up the meat in your car , there is no reason for controled fire. Aint nobody not gonna judge you , it’s the apocolyps burn like there is no tomorrow , because there is no tomorrow.

• Light one web in a forest
  • Wait for the forest to burn
  • Infinite fire

[quote=“Alistaire, post:23, topic:1701”]- Light one web in a forest

• Infinite fire[/quote]
    Forest fires are no joke , think about all the rabbits and squirrels you have released from suffering on this cataclysm filled world.

[quote=“woflsipder, post:24, topic:1701”][quote=“Alistaire, post:23, topic:1701”]- Light one web in a forest

• Infinite fire[/quote]
    Forest fires are no joke , think about all the rabbits and squirrels you have released from suffering on this cataclysm filled world.[/quote]
    BAH! Think about the loss of game performance!

In my first try with the android trait , i got Ethanol burner and mini-flamethrower. Few turns later the town was consumed in flames. I remember i set fire to 15 - 20 buildings + an apartment tower and experienced No lag.

Raging house fires slow my game down to a crawl, even on the SDL build. Windooooows!

Absolutely, I’m running Windows 7 over here and sometimes I feel that Cataclysm should not be as slow and choppy as it is right now on my notebook. It’s not as big an issue as other things are though. In fact I’m fairly used to shortcomings, imperfections etc. of all sorts.

Anyway here’s a quick question: I’m planning to build a toolshed out in the woods and I was wondering if giant worms and other burrowing creatures are able to dig underneath walls or palisades made by the player. Are they? Aside from those kind of adversities I think I’m ready to move away from town and live in solitude with respect to the shambling undead.

Pretty sure they can’t. But now that you’ve mentioned it, someone’s probably going to get on adding floor construction and more cunning worms. :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel the pain , bro.

If raging fires are a problem you can always use the stable 0.5 build (who am i kidding , i know you would never use it) , i was using it at that time and it ran surprisingly good. My laptop isn’t the best for gaming , but as far as i know it handles cataclysm very well.

I don’t mind. I just have to mind how I play, which allows me to appreciate new items.

ANYWAY, back on track with you, thread.

v0.6 nightly builds are turning out to be a slog for some (all?) Windows users. Where we had a light, fast roguelike game in 0.5 and before, now we have lag and slowdowns all over the place. I don’t know what changed (something related to redraws, I suppose), but I rather get the performance back, even if that means “less features”, than what we have now.

EDIT: The SDL version seems to solve all the performance issues. Thanks for the heads up!

the newest SDL version is running extremely well for me , havn’t got to the burning down a forest part yet.

Well it is the unstable version, like an alpha of an alpha. There is bound to be some performance issues and what not. I run .6 on my main computer fine and my dad’s computer as well.

Anyone figure out how to exit a car in SDL version? Because i can’t…

Figured it out! ^ and then choose exit vehicle.

^ is the key you’re looking for.

If you choose a spot where you can channel zombies effectively (or create one), you can easily have a self-refueling fire as they die in it and feed it with their corpses and clothes. Great to fill that aluminum tank of clean water.

You can set logs on fire again and again after the fire dies.

Seems like this has been changed at some point in the nightly builds.