Balancing the game

[quote=“Binky, post:40, topic:4901”][quote=“Rekozg”]One thing that would balance Cata a little, if equipment would degrade over time. People don’t often realize, but everything around us is designed and built to fail after a period of time - they are not built to last forever. But anything except armor and food last forever in this game, and armor only gets damaged in combat. The total overabundance of resources kills the survival aspect of the game. If you can climb the not so steep learning curve, then simply staying alive becomes laughably easy. From that point on you can only entertain yourself by exploring, hoarding and killing stuff in ridiculous ways. The first and the last gets boring fast, and the second isn’t fun to begin with.

Now if stuff would degrade over time: the beginning of the game would be the easiest, you could get as much stuff as you can carry and then some. Then as the expiration date would slowly catch up to everything and resources would get scarce, the game would get harder. Your equipment would also lose its quality: your blades would lose edge from continuous use and become less effective and sometimes even brake; your guns would jam often leaving you in a dire situation; your electronics would simply stop working. You would repeatedly find yourself in the situation that you would have to go to town, and get replacements for your broken stuff. A tad bid more realism and fun in my opinion.[/quote]

This has been suggested and strongly rejected by the main devs. I completely agree that it would be a fantastic idea and am wholeheartedly behind it, but it’s been shot down too many times to count unfortunately.

One idea I did have was to get rid of being able to make your own bullets (and the really good arrows) - it used to be like this, and it really did help the game become more of a challenge. Sure you could still get ultra strong with melee, but there’s always a bit of a danger, rather than ranged which is pretty much none. Ammo would then become a scarce resource which it’s important to save and conserve, adding a bit of later game challenge.[/quote]but unrealistic, because in real life you can reload spent casings, and gunpowder is fairly easy to make. you could, however, add quality modifiers to home-reloaded ammo, increase the difficulty of making good ammo, and add an increased chance-to-fail for ammo and components.

Yeah I think having vastly inferior homemade variations that you can make is a good idea. Something akin to what metro 2033 has.

Agreed - a much better solution.

I’ve just done a push request with all zombies hp buffed by roughly 20hp (and hulks by 100) - this seemed to add enough of a challenge for me when testing it myself, without wildly skewing the early game.

I’ve just done a push request with all zombies hp buffed by roughly 20hp (and hulks by 100) - this seemed to add enough of a challenge for me when testing it myself, without wildly skewing the early game.[/quote]

I need to ask something here real quick. How much of this is based on your experience? Because there’s a small problem there, if we base difficulty increases on how difficult long-time players have played the game, it can get really, really, really hard for new players.

I’ve just done a push request with all zombies hp buffed by roughly 20hp (and hulks by 100) - this seemed to add enough of a challenge for me when testing it myself, without wildly skewing the early game.[/quote]

I need to ask something here real quick. How much of this is based on your experience? Because there’s a small problem there, if we base difficulty increases on how difficult long-time players have played the game, it can get really, really, really hard for new players.[/quote]well running away is usually an option…

I need to ask something here real quick. How much of this is based on your experience? Because there’s a small problem there, if we base difficulty increases on how difficult long-time players have played the game, it can get really, really, really hard for new players.[/quote]
New players can play on easy mode (eg. Starting with 20+ points)

Running away
You ain't running away from the Hulkamania, brother.

I also made a pull request removing the wakizashi and the tanto from the drug dealer spawn list.

This was based on my experience, a newish player (well, they’ve know about it a while but only played it a few times) and a room mate with no experience other than watching me a couple of times. This is based off the changes I made to my classic mod, and I think it’s a fair adjustment.

As they don’t do any more damage you’re not in any more actual danger, you just have to play more tactically/can’t hit and run as much as you can’t take zombies down as quick.

Great job John - we’re finally getting somewhere! Balance buddies?

I’ve just done a pull request to take sci-fi weapons out of crafting, hopefully that’ll be a step in the right direction - they can still be found, but you won’t just be able to just make them.

BAAAALAAAANCEEEEEE!!!

nail guns…
"A nail gun would be a great weapon to have if 2x4’s rose from the grave and attacked mankind."

Nail guns should be nerfed on the damage front.

yeah, like NO damage :slight_smile:
(unless fired point blanc and pressed to the already immobilized zed)

Sorry I just want to say then whats the fucking point of the nail gun. You might as well remove it now if its going to deal no damage unless you fucking shove the gun in the brain already.

Other then that good on ya for making your own thread and coding your ideas.

[quote=“Ferodaktyl, post:52, topic:4901”]yeah, like NO damage :slight_smile:
(unless fired point blanc and pressed to the already immobilized zed)[/quote]

Isn’t that the standard firearm procedure of this game anyways?

[quote=“Nickboom, post:53, topic:4901”]Sorry I just want to say then whats the fucking point of the nail gun. You might as well remove it now if its going to deal no damage unless you fucking shove the gun in the brain already.

Other then that good on ya for making your own thread and coding your ideas.[/quote]

Haha it’s so awesome that the people who are all for the dumb ass shit already in the game and all for it being easy are the ones who get so angry.

just because it is called a gun doesn’t mean it’s one. You know, like a paint gun… :slight_smile:
It’s just a tool. One can bash a zombie with it eventually. And after that maybe nail it to a door, as a trophy.
But burst firing one, it beggars belief :smiley:

Le sigh I do realize I ment function wise. If you remove the damage from the nail gun then it maybe has a use in a tiny amount of recipes. So might as well remove it.

Clayton I’m honestly trying to add to the topic. If your just going to continue flaming then leave or get banned again either or would please me.

[quote=“Nickboom, post:57, topic:4901”]Le sigh I do realize I ment function wise. If you remove the damage from the nail gun then it maybe has a use in a tiny amount of recipes. So might as well remove it.

Clayton I’m honestly trying to add to the topic. If your just going to continue flaming then leave or get banned again either or would please me.[/quote]

I’m just tired of community members like you who think that they know what’s best for the game or what the game should be. I offer suggestions open for debate, for example, “The game should be harder. This is why I think so.” But members like you look at those suggestions and say, “NO URRGGHHH THAT’S NOT WHAT THE GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE WHERE DOES IT SAY IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE HARD UGGHHH HOLD ON I’MMA ADD MORE OP WEAPONS AND THEN GET ANGRY WHEN PEOPLE SAY THEY UNBALANCE THE GAME URRRGGH.”

You could just reduce the range of the nail gun to like 2 squares and keep it the same.

If I wanted that then I would have been shitting on all the things you guys are putting out. Most of the things you guys have been doing is actually fairly reasonable and I havent been discounting it. After all I havent played the game with the changes so how can I know how bad or good it is. Clayton your the one who is having issues. I have been trying to work with you guys to come up with things that could please everyone.

Bonevomit actually thats a pretty good idea. I say we do that.