By pneumatic weapons I mean both pneumatic assault rifle (PAR) and pneumatic bolt driver (PBD).
I know this topic has been discussed a few times here and there already, but there is still the proverbial elephant in the room, namely that pneumatic weapons are:
- effectively just as powerful as firearms
- use practically free/infinite ammo
- are auto-learn recipes
This is a problem because:
- this makes archery (both bows and crossbow) almost moot (niche of low-tech low-sound homemade-ammo ranged weapons should be logically taken by archery-type weapons, but these contraption on steroids (PAR and PBD) just make archery obsolete because they do the same thing, only better).
- this makes actual firearms ridiculously noncompetitive for everyday use (because they use limited ammo AND create excessive noise, and 99%+ of enemies can be killed with PAR/PBD just as easily)
- PAR/PBD make little sense thematically, because they are presumably not “futuristic” weapons, and yet somehow outperform firearms at what firearms are presumably designed to do
Current PAR and PBD are (kind-of sort-of) balanced by the fact you need high(-ish) skill to craft them and by having long reload times, but I think we all know that in practice it’s quite very easy to train crafting skills and reload times are seldom an issue since you mostly engage dangerous enemies one-by-one anyway.
So, if everyone agrees we need to balance PAR and PBD down, I’ll proceed to list some suggestions.