Autoclave pouches being irreplaceable and un-craftable feels out of place

more or less sterile

This will not happen, surprise insta death upon CBM installation would not be fun.

other option to sterilize CBMs

Sure, just need someone to add sensible ones.

That’s not what I meant by that.

1. Instant death from installing CBMs is already in the game; low First Aid skill and health can kill you.
  2. A potential infection gained from unsterile implantation would/will not kill you instantaneously (there’s no pathogen causing such extreme sickness, as far as I know - however, with the current infection/-healing mechanics in game, it could mean a death sentence).
  3. Now to what I actually meant by “(more or less) sterilizing”: Current real world implantations and transplantations are carried out with mostly sterile equipment, in a mostly sterile room, adding more (like implants) or less (like organs) sterile products to a body.
    There’s no such thing as a 100% sterile operation (unless you kill the patient and all of his/her cells too)…

What I tried to say (with fewer words) was basically: “I’m fine with adding a method that would not sterilize an object to 100% sterile in real world conditions, like washing a CBM and then let it ‘marinate’ in alcohol or boil it for a long time which would get rid of 99.99% of all pathogens, seal it in a likewise cleaned container and treat it like it’s 100% save so we don’t have to change up too much of the source code.”

Adding more sterilizing option is fine, just provide justification that it’s a safe way to do it.

You take a sealed container with some water in it and heat it up. Since it’s sealed, the pressure rises, and the water gets well above the normal boiling point of water. Also in this sealed container is one or more smaller containers, holding something we want to make sure has all the microorganisms killed.

What have I just described:
a) the process of autoclaving
b) the process of canning

The answer is c) both! You should be able to “autoclave” something in a glass jar in a canning pot. You’re doing the same process to achieve the same result. An autoclave is just a fancy pressure cooker, with its price inflated by an order of magnitude because it’s Medical Equipment.

Canning works, it’s quite safe. I wouldn’t hesitate to eat canned veggies out of a jar that was canned two years ago in a canning pot (as long as the lid on the jar was still concave when I opened it), and I also wouldn’t hesitate to have a CBM inserted that was sterilized the same way.