Attribute Gain and Athletic Gear

I’d like to go over two main topics: The gain of your four main attributes, and some new kicks and threads. The former is something I think should be implemented in the game. I don’t quite know how it would work, but my thought of it basically stems from the exercise machines that were introduced and the fact that punching countless hordes of zombies to death doesnt enhance the builds of your survivor. I suppose you could make different machines for strength and dexterity (e.g. bench, incline, squat rack for strength, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes for dexterity). Or you could link them to skills (e.g. so many melee skills up for strength, dodge and swim for dexterity, crafting skills for intelligence). I don’t quite know what you would do for perception though.

On another and much more aesthetical and thematical note, athletic gear. I want to make a Jeremy Lin player, decked out in basketball gear, or a Tom Brady themed player so I can get him killed. Football gear (American, but only because I want more sports armor) like shoulder pads, knee pads, cleats, helmets, maybe a spat wrap? Basically heavy but not TOO encumbering armor. And basketball, gym shorts, jerseys, and high tops of course. So clothes that cover a fair bit, are pretty durable, yet still light. I think baseball has most of the stuff, maybe not baseball pants and again, cleats. Hockey would be a great addition as well, except for the skates, kinda like Football armor but way more coverage and lighter, just a little less protective. And if you take one thing away from this, change the item under armor to compression shirt. Under Armor is a brand that makes sports equipment, one of which is compression shirts. I only say this because most in game items are generic (why I didn’t ask for team jerseys, or KD V’s) and I think it might have been a subtle detail brushed over.

For the attributes I believe there was something from one of the devs about “not wanting to include infinite stat increases” or something.
And with the clothing, there’s no reason you can’t just add the items in yourself you know?

We could probably treat stats like we treat skills. They are easy to level up early on, but the better you are, the harder it is to improve the stats. It might also be appropriate for stats to rust as well.

On Topic: Meh on the athletic gear. Not really against it, but I am not really dying for it to be put in.

Yeah I just wanted some filler for the post. However I was serious about the Under Armor thing, so far as I can tell the only thing I can tell that is branded is the Yankees baseball cap.

And either you got that wrong on purpose, or someone’s interfered with your version. That’s supposed to be a BoSox cap.

_>

For purposes of attribute gain I am planning on taking a look at that personally eventually, I’ve just got a little bit much on my plate right now with the weight system rewrite I’m working on. The main difficult thing is that you want characters to be able to increase their stats by working, but you need to be very careful to:
1)Not allow for infinite stat gain.
2)Not force players to grind just to gain stats.
3)Allow for stat decay over time.

The end result is that any stat gain will probably be fairly small and will probably occur more as a side-effect of creating a successful survivor then any sort of thing that you purposely set out to do.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:6, topic:2270”]For purposes of attribute gain I am planning on taking a look at that personally eventually, I’ve just got a little bit much on my plate right now with the weight system rewrite I’m working on. The main difficult thing is that you want characters to be able to increase their stats by working, but you need to be very careful to:
1)Not allow for infinite stat gain.
2)Not force players to grind just to gain stats.
3)Allow for stat decay over time.

The end result is that any stat gain will probably be fairly small and will probably occur more as a side-effect of creating a successful survivor then any sort of thing that you purposely set out to do.[/quote]

I think a weight rewrite is useful, so keep working hard.
As for the stats, your criteria is sorta like the skills criteria. Is it possible to apply skill learning to stats, just mod it a bit so that it takes a very long time for stat increase?